I feel bad for Brock Turner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2016, 07:14 PM
RE: I feel bad for Brock Turner
(12-06-2016 07:03 PM)natachan Wrote:  A 21 year old male who is a fan of Camus and sympathizes with a rapist....

I don't disagree that the universe is deterministic and lacking in intrinsic meaning. Nor do I necessarily disagree with the idea that a lot of society is superficial and concerned with very silly things. However your post comes across as crass and borderline sociopath. It also smacks of immaturity and star-in-eyes idealism.

You jump from "society is silly and has to create outgroups" and "the universe is deterministic" to "we should not create systems that penalize those who do wrong." This is an issue for philosophers and it is valid. I tend to view human decision making as an algorithm. Potential outcomes, including punishment, are inputs that affect the behaviours of people even if we can't "choose" things. There needs to be this input to deter and influence behaviour. Not all people are wired the same way, and some are less inclined to empathy. There needs to be another input for these people that would deter them from actions which would hurt others.

I feel no sympathy for Brock because he knew that he was hurting someone. He knew what he was doing was wrong. And he did it anyway. The stripping of privileges is completely just. This woman has had her life upset terribly. The fact that you don't seem to take that into account is worrisome.

But it gets worse. As the victim of sexual assault I am well aware of the way our society treats victims and perpetrators. And let's just say, the victims of sexual assault are not treated well. He not only intended to rape her, but he then re-victimized her through the next year. And you have no sympathy for her. This is distressing.

So I fully sympathize with those who have gone after you. But I do also understand that you are young and male.

I never said that we shouldn't create a system that handles people who stuff that's wrong, I just think the one we have in place is tragic, sending people to jail like caged animals doesn't do anything for them. I feel bad for those people and having empathy is something that should be respected and admired.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
(12-06-2016 07:00 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  You guys don't even fucking know me, yet you call me a rapist and a sociopath and a rape apologist. That's fucking outrageous, like there are no words. There's nothing I can imagine saying to any of you that would get it through your mind to stop being vindictive fucking piles of fucking shit and god DAMN it I just feel like slamming my fucking fingers against he key board when I type this. I fucking HATE YOU! You don't even know me and you treat me like I'm some mad man piece of shit, WELL FUCK YOU!

You feel no empathy for the raped person but you expect empathy here?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
(12-06-2016 07:00 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  You guys don't even fucking know me, yet you call me a rapist and a sociopath and a rape apologist. That's fucking outrageous, like there are no words. There's nothing I can imagine saying to any of you that would get it through your mind to stop being vindictive fucking piles of fucking shit and god DAMN it I just feel like slamming my fucking fingers against he key board when I type this. I fucking HATE YOU! You don't even know me and you treat me like I'm some mad man piece of shit, WELL FUCK YOU!

You are the one who said all those things.

Whatever your problem is, hopefully there is a medication for it.

I thought you were leaving...do you need someone to show you the way out?

Oh...you are now a victim in your own mind and I don't give one single fuck about you...how's that feel?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
12-06-2016, 07:15 PM
(12-06-2016 07:13 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Just to refresh people's memories...

Part of Mittens introductory post reads; "I don't consider myself very smart. I haven't finished a year of college after 4 years and 3 tries. I am unemployed and extremely unmotivated. I'm lonely and depressed...".

Pretty well sums up what this loser's all about. Sad really.

go fuck yourself.
12-06-2016, 07:16 PM
(12-06-2016 07:14 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 07:03 PM)natachan Wrote:  A 21 year old male who is a fan of Camus and sympathizes with a rapist....

I don't disagree that the universe is deterministic and lacking in intrinsic meaning. Nor do I necessarily disagree with the idea that a lot of society is superficial and concerned with very silly things. However your post comes across as crass and borderline sociopath. It also smacks of immaturity and star-in-eyes idealism.

You jump from "society is silly and has to create outgroups" and "the universe is deterministic" to "we should not create systems that penalize those who do wrong." This is an issue for philosophers and it is valid. I tend to view human decision making as an algorithm. Potential outcomes, including punishment, are inputs that affect the behaviours of people even if we can't "choose" things. There needs to be this input to deter and influence behaviour. Not all people are wired the same way, and some are less inclined to empathy. There needs to be another input for these people that would deter them from actions which would hurt others.

I feel no sympathy for Brock because he knew that he was hurting someone. He knew what he was doing was wrong. And he did it anyway. The stripping of privileges is completely just. This woman has had her life upset terribly. The fact that you don't seem to take that into account is worrisome.

But it gets worse. As the victim of sexual assault I am well aware of the way our society treats victims and perpetrators. And let's just say, the victims of sexual assault are not treated well. He not only intended to rape her, but he then re-victimized her through the next year. And you have no sympathy for her. This is distressing.

So I fully sympathize with those who have gone after you. But I do also understand that you are young and male.

I never said that we shouldn't create a system that handles people who stuff that's wrong, I just think the one we have in place is tragic, sending people to jail like caged animals doesn't do anything for them. I feel bad for those people and having empathy is something that should be respected and admired.

So let's allow rapists to wander around free so they can rape again...after all, the victims mean nothing right?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-06-2016, 07:17 PM
(12-06-2016 07:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 07:14 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I never said that we shouldn't create a system that handles people who stuff that's wrong, I just think the one we have in place is tragic, sending people to jail like caged animals doesn't do anything for them. I feel bad for those people and having empathy is something that should be respected and admired.

So let's allow rapists to wander around free so they can rape again...after all, the victims mean nothing right?

That's not what I said.
12-06-2016, 07:18 PM
(12-06-2016 07:17 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 07:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So let's allow rapists to wander around free so they can rape again...after all, the victims mean nothing right?

That's not what I said.

Explain what you are saying then. And remember that everything else you have said is here for reference.

12-06-2016, 07:19 PM
(12-06-2016 07:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 07:17 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  That's not what I said.

Explain what you are saying then. And remember that everything else you have said is here for reference.

Explain what I'm saying? No, you tell me what you want me to elaborate on, maybe I'll elaborate on it, but I'm not just going to guess what you want me to explain. You have to do some interpretation for yourself.
12-06-2016, 07:23 PM
(12-06-2016 07:15 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 07:13 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Just to refresh people's memories...

Part of Mittens introductory post reads; "I don't consider myself very smart. I haven't finished a year of college after 4 years and 3 tries. I am unemployed and extremely unmotivated. I'm lonely and depressed...".

Pretty well sums up what this loser's all about. Sad really.

go fuck yourself.

Q.E.D. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
12-06-2016, 07:23 PM
(12-06-2016 07:17 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 07:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So let's allow rapists to wander around free so they can rape again...after all, the victims mean nothing right?

That's not what I said.

Mittens, I am with you in as far as the current system not working for anyone, really. And I talk every chance I get about an alternate system. I am anti punishment. I am pro fixing the situation. People who hurt other people need to be removed from society so they can't do it again. That's a given.

They need to be removed long enough to realize that hurting others is a really stupid idea.

And if incorrigible, they need to be given a basic cell with basic nutrition and books. They can work on computers for money to improve their living situation, just like they would as free people.

Not because they need to be punished - they didn't choose to be wired the way they are. But to protect others.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post