I feel bad for Brock Turner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2016, 03:55 PM
RE: I feel bad for Brock Turner
(13-06-2016 03:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 01:38 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I read a tongue in cheek comment on Facebook today about how clothing should say stuff like "60% cotton, 40% rape." I would love to wear a mini skirt to the bar, but if I'm left alone, there's probably going to be a guy that thinks it's a free invitation to stick their hands up it. Hell, last time I went to a bar I had on leggings under my dress and was still groped while trying to order a beer. My ex boyfriend didn't understand why I was so upset, how I should have just pushed him off. Before that night he didn't know about the assaults, that a minor ass grab is not so minor to me.

I don't go to concerts because I've been groped at EVERY SINGLE ONE I've been to. My brother held me inside his coat at the Incubus concert at Big Spring Jam when I was in high school. One of the guys ended up with a bloody nose, poor them. I bet they still go to concerts...unless they're in jail for sexual assault because they don't give a damn about consent.

Is this normal? Because holy shit it's not normal where I'm from and we've got a reputation for crime. Jesus Christ people. If that's normal - people groping you randomly at bars and at concerts - you guys have a major problem.

Yes. Absolutely normal.

If you are not with a man, you will get groped, molested, raped. Period. If you are not in a group you will be sexually assaulted. Sometimes even if you are in a group, if all the group members are female.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like natachan's post
13-06-2016, 03:56 PM
(13-06-2016 03:39 PM)kim Wrote:  How do you guys not know this? The behavior Nurse described has been pervasive since I hit college.

That's been quite a while.

I... just I guess among my group of friends we all went out together... maybe people left us alone because of that? I know it happens occasionally but I assumed that it was much less frequent - not a problem of epidemic proportions.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-06-2016, 03:59 PM
My guy friends - they are all aware they are bodyguards.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
13-06-2016, 04:03 PM
(13-06-2016 03:59 PM)kim Wrote:  My guy friends - they are all aware they are bodyguards.

Undecided I'm not normally violent and I can't throw a punch worth a damn, but this kinda situation is the one time I think I'd get riled enough to try...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
13-06-2016, 04:05 PM
I rode public transport about 80% of work nights for 2 years. I worked swing shift so I rode home with the bar crowd. I witnessed three gropings (two buttocks and a breast) and one public exposure. I stopped one additional groping. A drunk guy was sitting near a woman standing. He reached for her ass with his hand cupped, middle finger pointed upward. I put my bag on his arm and glared at him. I shit you not, the guy laughed and said "what, bra?" as if it was some kind of joke. Coulda stomped the teeth out of his head. Emotionally, I mean. In reality I could probably have swung my bag like an old lady's purse until we both got kicked off.

That's just what I witnessed, while mostly trying to hide inside my headphones and Sudoku book. No telling what I missed.
[+] 3 users Like I Am's post
13-06-2016, 04:13 PM
(13-06-2016 03:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 03:39 PM)kim Wrote:  How do you guys not know this? The behavior Nurse described has been pervasive since I hit college.

That's been quite a while.

I... just I guess among my group of friends we all went out together... maybe people left us alone because of that? I know it happens occasionally but I assumed that it was much less frequent - not a problem of epidemic proportions.

It happens an awful lot. Literally countless times, back in my single days. Just being female is a contact sport.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
13-06-2016, 04:33 PM
When I was growing up, I was taught that part of being a gentleman was protecting ladies.
We took ballroom dance class from grade 6 - 8, one Friday evening each month. Our instructor was a dancer and Olympic fencer - this man was graceful. And strong.

We were taught proper formal manners (greeting hosts, receiving lines, accompanying a lady, etc.) and it was explicitly stated that the origin of some actions was protection of the , e.g. always walking on the street side of a lady.

The idea of groping, let alone assaulting, a woman was alien to us. Of course as teens, boys make sexual advances, but 'no' was always 'no'. Eventually. Rolleyes

I guess my point is that it is a surprise to me that the experience is so common among women, but no surprise that many men don't know this.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
13-06-2016, 04:38 PM
I had a brother, deceased now, who would keep score when he went to a bar as to how many boobs he could stumble into, pretending he was so drunk he wasn't aware of what he was doing.
13-06-2016, 04:47 PM
You all look like such morons in your bloviating tirades. You can suck my dick.
13-06-2016, 04:48 PM
(13-06-2016 04:47 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  You all look like such morons in your bloviating tirades. You can suck my dick.

Fuck off, you little twit. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post