I feel bad for Brock Turner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2016, 11:49 AM
RE: I feel bad for Brock Turner
(07-09-2016 10:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 10:35 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I never said that, nor did I imply it in any way. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't put words in your mouth. You said this guy was intimidating law-abiding citizens. I said Brock doesn't fall into that category.

He totally doesn't.

Many neighborhood residents want them the protesters there too. In fact some neighbors were the ones brandishing their weapons which is legal in Ohio.

I was watching our local news (flipping channels) and one person said he's got daughters and would open carry his weapon. People are pissed that he got a such a shameful sentence to begin with, this early release from the county clink was just salt in their wounds.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2016, 01:14 PM
And the correct response to this (legitimate) outrage over Brock's sentence is to petition one's representatives for a change in the law that prohibits judges from giving such lenient sentences to rapists.

The incorrect response is intimidation of someone who was given a legitimate (if outlandish) sentence by a judge in good standing, who served his time, and was released according to the law of the land, by brandishing firearms.

Am I shedding one tiny tear over Brock's personal discomfort at what they are doing? No. But it does bother me that we are employing mob justice to "augment" the failure of the law to do what we think is best in this case. This is deliberate terrorism. Lynching is based on exactly the same principle.

Does Brock deserve it? Well of fucking course he does. That and a lot more. But it's irrelevant to the ethics what's happening. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Who's next? We decide to start harassing people who were convicted of burglary? How about any other felony? How about blasphemy? What about those damned atheists we don't want in our neighborhoods?

Where's the stopping point on when we get to decide the extra-judicial punishments we're going to inflict on our fellow Americans?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-09-2016, 02:02 PM
(07-09-2016 01:14 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And the correct response to this (legitimate) outrage over Brock's sentence is to petition one's representatives for a change in the law that prohibits judges from giving such lenient sentences to rapists.

The incorrect response is intimidation of someone who was given a legitimate (if outlandish) sentence by a judge in good standing, who served his time, and was released according to the law of the land, by brandishing firearms.

Am I shedding one tiny tear over Brock's personal discomfort at what they are doing? No. But it does bother me that we are employing mob justice to "augment" the failure of the law to do what we think is best in this case. This is deliberate terrorism. Lynching is based on exactly the same principle.

Does Brock deserve it? Well of fucking course he does. That and a lot more. But it's irrelevant to the ethics what's happening. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Who's next? We decide to start harassing people who were convicted of burglary? How about any other felony? How about blasphemy? What about those damned atheists we don't want in our neighborhoods?

Where's the stopping point on when we get to decide the extra-judicial punishments we're going to inflict on our fellow Americans?

Peaceable protests are protected in this country. As long as they aren't breaking any laws...how far do you want to restrict them?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-09-2016, 02:22 PM
(07-09-2016 02:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 01:14 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And the correct response to this (legitimate) outrage over Brock's sentence is to petition one's representatives for a change in the law that prohibits judges from giving such lenient sentences to rapists.

Peaceable protests are protected in this country. As long as they aren't breaking any laws...how far do you want to restrict them?

2006 Ohio Revised Code - 2903.21. Aggravated menacing.

§ 2903.21. Aggravated menacing.

(A) No person shall knowingly cause another to believe that the offender will cause serious physical harm to the person or property of the other person, the other person's unborn, or a member of the other person's immediate family.

Though personally, I would argue that because they're trying to influence public policy by terrifying the felon they dislike, that they're guilty of terroristic threat, as well:

2909.23 Making terroristic threat.
(A) No person shall threaten to commit or threaten to cause to be committed a specified offense when both of the following apply:

(1) The person makes the threat with purpose to do any of the following:

(a) Intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

(b) Influence the policy of any government by intimidation or coercion;

© Affect the conduct of any government by the threat or by the specified offense.

(2) As a result of the threat, the person causes a reasonable expectation or fear of the imminent commission of the specified offense.

(B) It is not a defense to a charge of a violation of this section that the defendant did not have the intent or capability to commit the threatened specified offense or that the threat was not made to a person who was a subject of the threatened specified offense.

© Whoever violates this section is guilty of making a terroristic threat, a felony of the third degree. Section 2909.25 of the Revised Code applies regarding an offender who is convicted of or pleads guilty to a violation of this section.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2909.23

Law abiding? At best... at BEST... they are skirting the law, and their intent is clear.

What are the guns for? Think he's free to walk down the street without fear, with them there? What's this sign for?

[Image: brock.png]

They need to be protesting outside the state capitol, and (legally) harassing the legislators who allowed a judge the leeway to do what the judge did... not using brandished guns and signs about castration, stalking this kid who served a legitimate sentence, just because we all think he should have gotten a lot more time.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Also, doesn't that black dude know the cops in Ohio will shoot him for being armed? Or is that only in Wal-Mart? Laugh out load

07-09-2016, 02:43 PM
(07-09-2016 02:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 02:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Peaceable protests are protected in this country. As long as they aren't breaking any laws...how far do you want to restrict them?

2006 Ohio Revised Code - 2903.21. Aggravated menacing.

(A) No person shall knowingly cause another to believe that the offender will cause serious physical harm to the person or property of the other person, the other person's unborn, or a member of the other person's immediate family.

Though personally, I would argue that because they're trying to influence public policy by terrifying the felon they dislike, that they're guilty of terroristic threat, as well:

(A) No person shall threaten to commit or threaten to cause to be committed a specified offense when both of the following apply:

© Affect the conduct of any government by the threat or by the specified offense.

(2) As a result of the threat, the person causes a reasonable expectation or fear of the imminent commission of the specified offense.

(B) It is not a defense to a charge of a violation of this section that the defendant did not have the intent or capability to commit the threatened specified offense or that the threat was not made to a person who was a subject of the threatened specified offense.

© Whoever violates this section is guilty of making a terroristic threat, a felony of the third degree. Section 2909.25 of the Revised Code applies regarding an offender who is convicted of or pleads guilty to a violation of this section.

Law abiding? At best... at BEST... they are skirting the law, and their intent is clear.

What are the guns for? Think he's free to walk down the street without fear, with them there? What's this sign for?

They need to be protesting outside the state capitol, and (legally) harassing the legislators who allowed a judge the leeway to do what the judge did... not using brandished guns and signs about castration, stalking this kid who served a legitimate sentence, just because we all think he should have gotten a lot more time.

I agree that something needs to be done so that this sort of ridiculous sentencing doesn't happen again. And no, protesting outside of Brock's house isn't going to do that.

However, if WBC can decide to picket a veteran's funeral and nothing can be done to stop them from that demonstration...how do we respond...biker's block their access. Neither is running afoul of the law.

I think people are trying to prove a point with Brock and his father (who seems to approve of his behavior).

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-09-2016, 02:48 PM
(07-09-2016 02:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 02:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  2006 Ohio Revised Code - 2903.21. Aggravated menacing.

I agree that something needs to be done so that this sort of ridiculous sentencing doesn't happen again. And no, protesting outside of Brock's house isn't going to do that.

However, if WBC can decide to picket a veteran's funeral and nothing can be done to stop them from that demonstration...how do we respond...biker's block their access. Neither is running afoul of the law.

I think people are trying to prove a point with Brock and his father (who seems to approve of his behavior).

Not just the father....mom too.

She wrote the judge a three page letter detailing how wonderful her son is that if sent to prison/jail he'd just die.

She said having to register as a sex offender was enough.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

07-09-2016, 02:56 PM
(07-09-2016 02:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 02:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I agree that something needs to be done so that this sort of ridiculous sentencing doesn't happen again. And no, protesting outside of Brock's house isn't going to do that.

Not just the father....mom too.

She wrote the judge a three page letter detailing how wonderful her son is that if sent to prison/jail he'd just die.

She said having to register as a sex offender was enough.

I guess I missed the part where the whole damn family is morally deficient. Undecided

07-09-2016, 03:02 PM
(06-09-2016 11:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  That is not going to happen. He can't be retried or resentenced.

He could still be butt-raped though. I mean it only takes 20 minutes or so. ... His dad could watch.

#sigh
07-09-2016, 03:04 PM
(07-09-2016 03:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  That is not going to happen. He can't be retried or resentenced.

He could still be butt-raped though. I mean it only takes 20 minutes or so. ... His dad could watch.

I sort of expect that to be part of his 'not so distant' future.