I feel bad for Brock Turner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2016, 06:25 PM
RE: I feel bad for Brock Turner
(07-09-2016 03:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  That is not going to happen. He can't be retried or resentenced.

He could still be butt-raped though. I mean it only takes 20 minutes or so. ... His dad could watch.

...and then dad can say, "Butt is was only 20 minutes!" Angry Yeah, right. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-09-2016, 09:29 PM
(07-09-2016 02:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Think he's free to walk down the street without fear, with them there?

I doubt he's free to walk down any street without fear, protesters or not.

I get what you're saying. Threats of violence aren't the right way to react to this. That said, it's going to happen. Vigilantism is what you get when the legal system fails this completely. So no, it isn't right and shouldn't be encouraged but we'd all be shocked if some fool weren't doing this.

And no, I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. He and his parents reek of entitled white male privilege. Their actions have contributed in no small part to the public outrage.

The worstest part (every part of this is worst than the others) is that this walking waste of sperm is just one soiled corner of a much greater problem. One that the same public officials that you suggest people should protest, more, yet again, have ignored for decades. Maybe if a few of them regained conciousness to discover a cucumber where no cucumber ought to be... And yes, I know that isn't right either, but neither is the status quo.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
07-09-2016, 09:36 PM
(07-09-2016 06:25 PM)Fireball Wrote:  ...and then dad can say, "Butt is was only 20 minutes!" Angry Yeah, right. Dodgy

For that imbecilic remark alone his father should have been invited to personally demonstrate what it was like to be on the receiving end of "20 minutes of action." No threat, just an open invitation any time he wants to back up his words.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
08-09-2016, 05:15 AM
(07-09-2016 09:29 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  He and his parents reek of entitled white male privilege.

Yep. Next time someone tells you white privilege isn't real, just pick up an imaginary microphone, say "Brock Turner", and drop it.

Edit to Add: I'd say it's really class privilege at work here, and that the privilege of class simply falls predominantly on whites, who've had the upper hand in establishing class strata due to a history of white supremacy. But then what do I know? I'm a godless pinko.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
08-09-2016, 08:30 AM
(07-09-2016 01:14 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And the correct response to this (legitimate) outrage over Brock's sentence is to petition one's representatives for a change in the law that prohibits judges from giving such lenient sentences to rapists.

The incorrect response is intimidation of someone who was given a legitimate (if outlandish) sentence by a judge in good standing, who served his time, and was released according to the law of the land, by brandishing firearms.

Am I shedding one tiny tear over Brock's personal discomfort at what they are doing? No. But it does bother me that we are employing mob justice to "augment" the failure of the law to do what we think is best in this case. This is deliberate terrorism. Lynching is based on exactly the same principle.

Does Brock deserve it? Well of fucking course he does. That and a lot more. But it's irrelevant to the ethics what's happening. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Who's next? We decide to start harassing people who were convicted of burglary? How about any other felony? How about blasphemy? What about those damned atheists we don't want in our neighborhoods?

Where's the stopping point on when we get to decide the extra-judicial punishments we're going to inflict on our fellow Americans?

I have to commend you on a rational, articulate and extremely astute assessment of this particular scenario. In my opinion, anybody brandishing a weapon in an intimidating manner in any public place—solely to cause fear and distress—should be arrested and their weapon(s) confiscated.

As a side note; here in Australia, a group of blokes carrying long guns and/or handguns in the street would have the nearest Bearcat swiftly on the scene. Bizarrely, the 2nd Amendment precludes this in the US. What an absurdity.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
08-09-2016, 08:33 AM
(07-09-2016 03:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  That is not going to happen. He can't be retried or resentenced.

He could still be butt-raped though. I mean it only takes 20 minutes or so. ... His dad could watch.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
08-09-2016, 08:50 AM
(07-09-2016 02:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Peaceable protests are protected in this country. As long as they aren't breaking any laws...how far do you want to restrict them?

This particular protest was obviously not "peaceable". Its sole purpose was to intimidate Turner—and his entirely innocent family—with an implied threat of violence; to wit banners such as "CASTRATE RAPISTS", "IF I RAPE BROCK TURNER, WILL I ONLY DO 3 MONTHS?", "THIS MACHINE KILLS RAPISTS", "SHOOT YOUR LOCAL RAPIST" etc.

And bear in mind that three of these protesters were openly carrying lethal firearms. If Brock Turner had appeared at his front door to address these protesters, would you like to guarantee—absolutely—that none of these firearms would've been used in some manner Anjele?

Confused

08-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Westboro Baptist Church is protected in their protests. They may not be carrying guns (but they may be) but their protests are intimidating and scary.

How peaceable is it to demonstrate outside a funeral with signs that declare the end times, god's hatred for 'fags', and all the other things they spew? They choose the most vulnerable of times in order to do the most damage.

Either way...both are protected based on the laws in the locale.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-09-2016, 03:53 PM
(08-09-2016 05:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 09:29 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  He and his parents reek of entitled white male privilege.

Yep. Next time someone tells you white privilege isn't real, just pick up an imaginary microphone, say "Brock Turner", and drop it.

Edit to Add: I'd say it's really class privilege at work here, and that the privilege of class simply falls predominantly on whites, who've had the upper hand in establishing class strata due to a history of white supremacy. But then what do I know? I'm a godless pinko.

I'd say it's probably both. It's hard to deny that he got a soft sentence because he had wealthy parents and could swim fast. On the flip side I have a hard time imagining a sentence this light being handed out for the same offense by someone black/muslim/hispanic/lesbian/anybody else even if they were affluent.

---
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-09-2016, 03:40 PM
(08-09-2016 09:08 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Westboro Baptist Church is protected in their protests. They may not be carrying guns (but they may be) but their protests are intimidating and scary.

I beg to differ Anjele. Carrying weapons makes a major, and fundamental difference to the threats of protesters—and the risks of them following through with violent acts. It creates increased fears in the (possibly undeserving) subjects of the protest, and emphasises—even psychologically—the hoped-for "power" of the (often illegal) protesters over their subjects.

Quote:How peaceable is it to demonstrate outside a funeral with signs that declare the end times, god's hatred for 'fags', and all the other things they spew?

Words are just words, and never killed anyone. Yes, they can be extremely crude and offensive and antisocial, but not so destructive as a 9mm bullet.

And as I asked earlier, can anybody guarantee that either these armed protesters were not carrying any ammunition on their person, or that their weapons were not locked and loaded? Would you Anjele?