I feel bad for wanting to drop a class because of the instructor...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2012, 11:56 PM
So I've been all hyped up over the Thanksgiving break to start the winter quarter of school. I go to a community college, so classes are only a quarter (about 11 weeks) long. This quarter I am taking College Algebra, Comp 1 and an Info Tech course I'm probably going to be bored to tears in (but it's required).

Anyways, I was really excited to go back, I did really well in my last two classes and the instructors were really nice.

My excitement turned into discontent after my first class, college algebra. Don't get me wrong I love math - I better 'cause I need a lot of it - but the instructor... I know it's only been one day, but I just get that feeling that I need to get out of there. I kind of feel bad, but I want to drop the course and maybe take it in the spring, hopefully with a different instructor. I'll give it one more day, see how she conducts a regular class session. If it's even half as bad as I think it will be I'm going to drop. I wish I could switch instructors, but all the other ones are full and would conflict with my other classes.

I don't know why, but I feel like such a bad person for wanting to drop the course just because of the instructor. However she has managed to turn a subject I enjoy into a class I dread going to. If only I could have my last math instructor back.

On the up side my comp teacher seems awesome, which is good because I hate English classes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2012, 12:02 AM
RE: I feel bad for wanting to drop a class because of the instructor...
If you don't think that you will be able to properly learn the subject at hand with that professor, then it is probably best to drop, and perhaps try to take another class in its place (assuming you have other classes that you need, and that fit into your schedule).

If you think that you can still learn the material, even if you won't enjoy it as much because of the teacher, maybe just stick it out, so you can move on sooner. Just my thoughts.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Near's post
29-11-2012, 01:23 AM
You're the one paying to be there. If you don't like the service they're offering, you can essentially ask for your money back. Or in this case, take the course from another instructor.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-11-2012, 05:24 AM
Drop it, and don't feel bad about dropping it. Can you get into the same course with a different instructor? I dropped a few courses for different reasons. A bad instructor is as valid a reason as any.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
29-11-2012, 12:44 PM
So ya, I just dropped it. Went to class this morning and it was about as bad as expected.

Basically what I didn't like is that we were made to learn new material on our own, write "notes" and turn in those notes to be graded at the beginning of class. Now this out of class work was in addition to the regular homework of every 4th problem from the exercise section from the previous section. Once in class there was no instruction, it was just a q&a session. What's odd is we started with questions about the new material then went back and did questions about the old material. It makes me sad to know that there are teachers who can make a subject that a person enjoys and make it unbearable.

Two positive notes: I'll get 100% of my money back for the course, and the Info Tech instructor seems just as awesome as my English instructor (but for much different reasons).