I feel "born again"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I feel "born again"
So I just recently deconverted. Oddly enough, I have the same feeling of newborn wonder that a person is reportedly supposed to have when they first convert to Christianity. It's like I've been born again!

Except to a Christian, I've been born back into death.

So I'm an undead?

But I'm so alive! Tongue

But anyway, is this feeling typical? I guess my dark background probably has some impact here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Charis's post
18-03-2014, 02:05 PM
RE: I feel "born again"
(18-03-2014 01:58 PM)Charis Wrote:  So I just recently deconverted. Oddly enough, I have the same feeling of newborn wonder that a person is reportedly supposed to have when they first convert to Christianity. It's like I've been born again!

So I'm an undead?

But I'm so alive! Tongue

But anyway, is this feeling typical? I guess my dark background probably has some impact here.

You are awake. You see things clearer and the fog is lifting from your mind. The false beauty of religion is being replaced by the true beauty of nature and everything looks so fresh and new and exciting.

You are unchained, unbound, and free. Breaking free from religion is a lot like getting out of a prison. Suddenly you don't have constant overwatch, you can breath easier knowing that no one is picking apart the minutiae of your life.

I can't say if it's typical, but yeah. It's liberating, it's refreshing, and DAMN does it feel good to be alive.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 9 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
18-03-2014, 02:08 PM
I did not get the born again high, but I do feel different. Like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. No more having to try to live up to unrealistic expectations to save my soul. Not to mention no more guilt (yes was catholic).

I am receint also, but I am starting to appreciate the here and now more than before. This is all I got and I want to make the most of it. Things I use to take for granted I do not anymore. I also find me makeing an effort to invest my most pressious assest where it is most important, time with the people I love.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
18-03-2014, 02:09 PM
It is nearly orgasmic. Everything is clearer, more urgent, more meaningful. Enjoy it!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
18-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I had the same feeling. For me, it was a combination of having a weight lifted off my chest (I was getting to the point of frequent depression during the height of my initial disbelief) and also feeling liberated. I no longer had to worry about the religious ramifications of... lots of things.

Now for the next fun part: noticing months down the road how many, many aspects of your life have been shaped by religion. Seriously: six months from now, you will find yourself defaulting to a position you realize you only took because of previously-held religious beliefs. That in and of itself can be really awesome and/or really annoying. You'll find that you take a particular stance on premarital sex (or whatever) and then think "Wait a minute. That doesn't even matter!"
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-03-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm already there for some things. For instance, the sex. I'm not quite brave enough yet to start making up for it.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
18-03-2014, 02:24 PM
(18-03-2014 02:17 PM)Charis Wrote:  I'm already there for some things. For instance, the sex. I'm not quite brave enough yet to start making up for it.

We'll get you there. Evil_monster

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
18-03-2014, 02:44 PM
(18-03-2014 01:58 PM)Charis Wrote:  So I just recently deconverted. Oddly enough, I have the same feeling of newborn wonder that a person is reportedly supposed to have when they first convert to Christianity. It's like I've been born again!

So I'm an undead?

But I'm so alive! Tongue

Nah, it's just your inherent insanity humanity getting a bit more time in the light

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
18-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Yep, it was pretty incredible for me as soon as I got past the initial anxiety. Shedding harmful beliefs I only carried due to my religion, being more accepting of people, not under constant fear of my soul over every little thing.

Good stuff.
[+] 4 users Like Jasozz's post
18-03-2014, 02:53 PM
When you perceive that you've made a positive life change your emotions support it.

So I would say, yes... yes it's normal.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post