I feel free but confused.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2016, 04:47 PM
I am starting to understand how much religion (though i have not been an active church member for about a year now) has affected thought process. Not just my views on god or a lack of one, but also my views on family, politics, relationships, etc. Reevaluating why i think the way i do and changing it without going looney in the process. I have only been thinking for myself about a month now, so any advice is welcome. I thank you all in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes doc88401's post
10-11-2016, 04:50 PM
RE: I feel free but confused.
Hi Welcome to freedom. Smile Is there any particular part that you are struggling with? Anxiety, etc.?
10-11-2016, 04:52 PM
I suggest you would benefit by reading the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It's a good place to start.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2016, 06:16 PM
No need to re-think everything all at once. Give yourself time and take things one issue at a time as they come up. You need to learn new thinking patterns and that takes time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
10-11-2016, 06:18 PM
(10-11-2016 06:16 PM)unfogged Wrote:  No need to re-think everything all at once. Give yourself time and take things one issue at a time as they come up. You need to learn new thinking patterns and that takes time.

Right, definitely not an overnight process. Be patient with yourself.
11-11-2016, 04:20 PM
(10-11-2016 04:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hi Welcome to freedom. Smile Is there any particular part that you are struggling with? Anxiety, etc.?

a flag-waving"god is on our side" conservative, I sure am having to examine that area of my life.
11-11-2016, 04:29 PM
It is better to be confused and free than certain and enslaved to primitive dogma. Now you can steer your life in directions previously unthinkable.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-11-2016, 04:54 PM
(11-11-2016 04:20 PM)doc88401 Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 04:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hi Welcome to freedom. Smile Is there any particular part that you are struggling with? Anxiety, etc.?

a flag-waving"god is on our side" conservative, I sure am having to examine that area of my life.

God is on our side no more than Zeus is Wink You've always been the same person, you're just thinking differently now. And you're free to live your life on your own terms.

In terms of rediscovering yourself, that can be a bit of a process. Now you are thinking for yourself, instead of mindlessly going with the flow of religion. Embrace it. Smile You don't have to figure everything out about yourself today. It's a journey and finding out about yourself without fear of God watching over you with a club can be quite exhilarating. Take it in pieces, you might decide you feel one way about a certain topic and then change your mind about it tomorrow. That is the benefit of being able to think the way *you* want to. Treat it like a gift and not as stressor. It doesn't have to be a stressor.