I feel like I'm wasting my time starting things I never finish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2013, 04:21 PM
I feel like I'm wasting my time starting things I never finish
Little note,
1, Sorry for making yet another thread about me and my problems, it's just that you guys here are awesome and I prefer getting advice from you rather than getting prayers =)
2, I didn't think this was serious enough to be anywhere else in the forum.

If you ask me what my hobbies are, it's either 932462387 things or nothing. That is because I like doing hundreds of things but I don't do any one thing often enough for it to be considered a "hobby".

I have some talents, but I feel so restless, I want to do everything. I get all excited when I see I can do some things better than others, but when I see that some are much better than me, I feel disheartened, I feel I will never be able to reach that high and I give up.

This has happened with countless things, drawing, sculpting, singing, dancing, composing, writing, photography, designing stuff. Yeah, mainly art stuff.
I'm better than average in most of these, but I always feel I can't reach higher, because for dancing and singing for example "you have to start young to go high", and in general, there are just too many people who are awesome at those things that I can't help but think "why do I bother?"

Do you think an average, amateur artist has anything more to offer than the best out there?

The fact that I like doing many things is a problem in itself, too. If I want to be better, I need to practice. And I can't practice for 32984729 things at once. And I can't choose what I like the most.

The worst of all is, I don't even know what the "right" thing is. I don't know if focusing on one thing is better than doing many things simultaneously.

I can't suppress my need to express myself in the ways I like, but at the same time I know that if I don't focus on something, I won't be great in anything.

Sorry for the long post.
Thoughts? Unsure

Edit: I just realized the title has little to do with the content. Sorry, can't think of anything else.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 04:33 PM
RE: I feel like I'm wasting my time starting things I never finish

You shouldn't worry about being the *best* at something IMO. Just do something that gives you pleasure.

If you want to be *good* at something... all it is is time spent. Eventually you get the hang of it. Don't worry about starting late. We're living 'til we're like 70 or 80 anyway Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Well, I'll have to be more precise.

I don't want to be the best (like no one ever was, dum dum dum). I just feel I will never be good enough to have something to offer.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
05-12-2013, 04:57 PM
(05-12-2013 04:48 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I just feel I will never be good enough to have something to offer.

If it makes *you* happy, then you're good enough. What other people think isn't relevant, unless you want to sell it. Plus it's pretty easy sometimes to make stuff that people like. Have confidence Smile And patience... Wink

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-12-2013, 04:59 PM
(05-12-2013 04:21 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Do you think an average, amateur artist has anything more to offer than the best out there?
Thoughts? Unsure

Best? What does that mean? Oh... are you are talking about your best... but ... how would you know what that is ... if you haven't done it... yet?

In order to paint a masterpiece, one must make a shit load of the shittiest drawings and make a shit load of shitty painting attempts... and THEN... and only then, can that painter attempt to even stretch and gesso a canvas and stare at it for an hour or more trying to decide, "What the hell am I doing standing in front of a blank canvas? I'm a fucking fraud."... after that, THEN the first glob of paint will make it to the canvas. Who knows what happens after that.

Let us know when you find out. Drinking Beverage proof is in the pudding

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote: I won't be great in anything.

You can be great in being yourself

It sounds like an empty cliche, but really when you think about it, that's not only the best you can hope for, but it is the only thing you should strive for.
And it's also a thing that escapes most people.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
05-12-2013, 05:59 PM
It seems to be a common character trait for the knowledge hungery skeptic.

Try everything possible, lose interest when the general understanding of the topic is reached.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-12-2013, 04:54 AM
(05-12-2013 05:59 PM)sporehux Wrote:  It seems to be a common character trait for the knowledge hungery skeptic.

Try everything possible, lose interest when the general understanding of the topic is reached.

Haha, I don't know if it's like that, interesting thought.

As for the others, guys, my problem is not only about being the best or the best I can be, it's about the fact that I can't be great in anything if I can't choose what I want to be great in and I keep doing 3872649 things.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
06-12-2013, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 05:46 AM by Brian37.)
Your jumping around on things is not just you, it is a reflection of our species evolution. Lots of individuals in our species display this behavior. I don't know how old you are, but it could be youthful energy and electro chemical brain activity.

I know growing up did the same thing, went from one activity to another. Sports I was always bad at. Wanted to be a cartoonist but sucked at drawing. Wanted to be a singer, but cant sing. Wanted to be a fireman for a while. Then I wanted to be an office worker.

But the older I got as an adult, most of what I wanted as a kid, turned out to be what others thought I should do.

I wouldn't worry so much about trying to stick to one thing, more than simply being happy. I think long term if you do that, you'll figure out it matters more your happiness than what you actually do.

My "Hobbies" are my online debate and my poetry. I never expect to make a dime off either. But just knowing others read my responses to theists as atheists, if it gives them more comfort in life knowing they are not alone, that gives me satisfaction. And my poetry is merely my therapy.

I wouldn't look at others and judge yourself by their standards. Just be yourself. "The grass is always greener" will drive you nuts.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2013, 05:46 AM
I know what you mean.

I'm forever starting things I never fin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post