I feel like a scientist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2015, 07:02 AM
RE: I feel like a scientist
(19-01-2015 10:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2015 10:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I already have an MS. You should call me Master Scientist!

Meh, dime a dozen - even I have one of those. Girly, too, methinks.

It's worse than that; even I have an MS to go along with my law degree. I can't think of anything devaluing an MS more than a lawyer having one.

Oh, and I watch The Big Bang Theory and they say geology isn't a real science.

Kidding aside, good for you. Keep plugging away and get that doctorate.

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
20-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Congrats TBD!! Sounds like a lot of hard work, better you than me. Yes

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
20-01-2015, 07:19 AM
(19-01-2015 10:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Today, I passed my qualifying exams and I am officially a PhD candidate (the last step before one attains a PhD).

It hasn't been the easiest past few months but I can also look forward to an eventual release of my first publication as a first author and another co-authored publication.

Today, I feel like a real scientist.

And I have nearly had an entire bottle of crown royal in celebration. So I apologize for my grammar!
Congratulations!!!!!
[+] 1 user Likes AfroAtheist's post
20-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Smile RE: I feel like a scientist
(19-01-2015 10:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Today, I passed my qualifying exams and I am officially a PhD candidate (the last step before one attains a PhD).

It hasn't been the easiest past few months but I can also look forward to an eventual release of my first publication as a first author and another co-authored publication.

Today, I feel like a real scientist.

And I have nearly had an entire bottle of crown royal in celebration. So I apologize for my grammar!

Congrats! Finally passing my cums (pronounced "cumes") was one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy the feeling for a day and then get back in the lab. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dcobranchi's post
20-01-2015, 10:27 AM
(20-01-2015 12:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  @OrganicChemist
We all know Hovind is the most honest among us. It is a global conspiracy to ignore him

As for those following the OrganicChemist, I'll post pdfs as I have the final copies available to demonstrate my inaptitude.

Nice. I was hoping you would know that I wasn't serious as some people miss sarcasm. The videos Thunderf00t did on him still make me laugh.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
20-01-2015, 10:29 AM
(20-01-2015 07:59 AM)dcobranchi Wrote:  Congrats! Finally passing my cums (pronounced "cumes") was one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy the feeling for a day and then get back in the lab. Smile

Although passing those can have the same feeling.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
20-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Congrats! A rock monkey eh? The sexiest ones have a scottish accent I find.

For me I first felt like a scientist, or at least could call myself one when I got my first paper published.

I'm working with a load of Biologists in my new job. It's kind of annoying because twice now I've heard people refer to the ones wearing a white lab coat as scientists with everyone else classed as non-scientists. I had an induction day today and was given a tour of the part of their labs. I was looking forward to it because for the first time ever I could wear a lab coat too like a proper scientist *cough*. They gave us some really shitty see-through white cotton / paper coats which tore easily and looked like the inner lining of a duvet.

In reality though from what I gather most people hate lab work and just want to get behind a computer. It probably explains why so manu of them get into software engineering.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post