I feel like a scientist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2015, 07:02 AM
RE: I feel like a scientist
(19-01-2015 10:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2015 10:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I already have an MS. You should call me Master Scientist!

Meh, dime a dozen - even I have one of those. Girly, too, methinks.

It's worse than that; even I have an MS to go along with my law degree. I can't think of anything devaluing an MS more than a lawyer having one.

Oh, and I watch The Big Bang Theory and they say geology isn't a real science.

Kidding aside, good for you. Keep plugging away and get that doctorate.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
20-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Congrats TBD!! Sounds like a lot of hard work, better you than me. Yes

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
20-01-2015, 07:19 AM
(19-01-2015 10:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Today, I passed my qualifying exams and I am officially a PhD candidate (the last step before one attains a PhD).

It hasn't been the easiest past few months but I can also look forward to an eventual release of my first publication as a first author and another co-authored publication.

Today, I feel like a real scientist.

And I have nearly had an entire bottle of crown royal in celebration. So I apologize for my grammar!
Congratulations!!!!!
[+] 1 user Likes AfroAtheist's post
20-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Smile RE: I feel like a scientist
(19-01-2015 10:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Today, I passed my qualifying exams and I am officially a PhD candidate (the last step before one attains a PhD).

It hasn't been the easiest past few months but I can also look forward to an eventual release of my first publication as a first author and another co-authored publication.

Today, I feel like a real scientist.

And I have nearly had an entire bottle of crown royal in celebration. So I apologize for my grammar!

Congrats! Finally passing my cums (pronounced "cumes") was one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy the feeling for a day and then get back in the lab. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dcobranchi's post
20-01-2015, 10:27 AM
(20-01-2015 12:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  @OrganicChemist
We all know Hovind is the most honest among us. It is a global conspiracy to ignore him

As for those following the OrganicChemist, I'll post pdfs as I have the final copies available to demonstrate my inaptitude.

Nice. I was hoping you would know that I wasn't serious as some people miss sarcasm. The videos Thunderf00t did on him still make me laugh.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
20-01-2015, 10:29 AM
(20-01-2015 07:59 AM)dcobranchi Wrote:  Congrats! Finally passing my cums (pronounced "cumes") was one of the highlights of my life. Enjoy the feeling for a day and then get back in the lab. Smile

Although passing those can have the same feeling.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
20-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Congrats! A rock monkey eh? The sexiest ones have a scottish accent I find.

For me I first felt like a scientist, or at least could call myself one when I got my first paper published.

I'm working with a load of Biologists in my new job. It's kind of annoying because twice now I've heard people refer to the ones wearing a white lab coat as scientists with everyone else classed as non-scientists. I had an induction day today and was given a tour of the part of their labs. I was looking forward to it because for the first time ever I could wear a lab coat too like a proper scientist *cough*. They gave us some really shitty see-through white cotton / paper coats which tore easily and looked like the inner lining of a duvet.

In reality though from what I gather most people hate lab work and just want to get behind a computer. It probably explains why so manu of them get into software engineering.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post