I feel like a terrible person

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 06:25 PM
I feel like a terrible person
I do. I know why, too. It's how I'm talked to about my unbelief and how people talk about those of us who don't believe. I'd really like to get away, though I feel trapped. I do see the light at the end of the tunnel, but man its hard.

I know my parents and my Bible teacher mean well. I hate being so scared. I think this is a thing that makes people go back though.

I hate hurting people. I do mean it when I say that if there is a deity, I do want to know. I can't make myself believe in something. I don't find faith convincing. It's so frustrating! If they're real, why not just tell me!!!!???? I WANT to know!

Some people would probably say bullshit like "Oh, see you're miserable because you don't believe ib Yahweh and Jesus etc." No! I'm sad because of stupid fear tactics and the pain that people have to go through because they don't believe in someone else's brain companion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CosmicRaven's post
29-04-2016, 09:29 PM
RE: I feel like a terrible person
You are not responsible for anyone else's feelings.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-04-2016, 09:53 PM
I'm gonna take the (probably) unpopular stance that if I were in such a position, I'd probably just play along. Intentional deception with an objective is less psychologically draining than pointless drama in my book. Thriving in this world is about putting on the right mask at the right time, whether you're trying to play office drone or family man. I think of it as a big role playing game. You don't actually have to believe in wizardry to play a good wizard Smile

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
29-04-2016, 09:57 PM
(29-04-2016 09:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  You are not responsible for anyone else's feelings.

THIS. For real. At some point during therapy I finally made the realization (although I had probably been told it multiple times) that it wasn't up to me to make everyone else happy with my decisions. You need to do what's best for you. If someone chooses to be upset with the choices that you've made, and the conclusions that you've reached, that's their business. Does your lack of belief in their god affect them in any meaningful way? They may feel like that's the case (because they care about you and genuinely fear for your "soul") but that is not at all your fault. You aren't being a terrible person. You're being honest and open about what makes sense to you and that's all that anyone can or should ask for.
[+] 2 users Like debna27's post
29-04-2016, 10:01 PM
(29-04-2016 09:53 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm gonna take the (probably) unpopular stance that if I were in such a position, I'd probably just play along. Intentional deception with an objective is less psychologically draining than pointless drama in my book. Thriving in this world is about putting on the right mask at the right time, whether you're trying to play office drone or family man. I think of it as a big role playing game. You don't actually have to believe in wizardry to play a good wizard Smile

That's what I'd do.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-04-2016, 10:14 PM
(29-04-2016 06:25 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I do. I know why, too. It's how I'm talked to about my unbelief and how people talk about those of us who don't believe. I'd really like to get away, though I feel trapped. I do see the light at the end of the tunnel, but man its hard.

I know my parents and my Bible teacher mean well. I hate being so scared. I think this is a thing that makes people go back though.

I hate hurting people. I do mean it when I say that if there is a deity, I do want to know. I can't make myself believe in something. I don't find faith convincing. It's so frustrating! If they're real, why not just tell me!!!!???? I WANT to know!

Some people would probably say bullshit like "Oh, see you're miserable because you don't believe ib Yahweh and Jesus etc." No! I'm sad because of stupid fear tactics and the pain that people have to go through because they don't believe in someone else's brain companion.

you know, thats what gets me. the fear. as if anxiety wasnt bad enough.. having the end of the world trigger it is just icing on the cake.
we can get through it though! the more i go on with this the better it gets. but we still have our hard times, and we will for a while.
but that last part is what pisses me off. people blaming things on not having the faith. i was scared even when i had the faith. terrified, nightmares, everything. the faith never helped me. it just made it worse.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
30-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Fourteen signs of psychological and emotional manipulation.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
30-04-2016, 08:25 PM
(30-04-2016 07:55 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Fourteen signs of psychological and emotional manipulation.

I do see some of those. >.<

It's to make me believe in their deity again.
30-04-2016, 08:43 PM
(30-04-2016 08:25 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 07:55 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Fourteen signs of psychological and emotional manipulation.

I do see some of those. >.<

It's to make me believe in their deity again.

Hug

It'll be alright.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
01-05-2016, 03:56 AM
Just remember that atheists are above theists on the food chain. We are morally, intellectually, physically and ethically superior in every way. Plus we're all way better looking.
It's like how gay people are superior to straight people. Or how I'm superior to everyone on the Earth. Or how it was better to be white in the 1800's than black but you know, without the morally wrongness of racism because us being superior is factually accurate.

So next time your relatives hassle you about being an atheist, just smile and once they're done gently pat them on the head and say "that'll do donkey, that'll do" and walk off.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post