I feel like ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 06:24 PM
RE: I feel like ...
(03-06-2017 11:58 PM)f stop Wrote:  I feel like I'm living in a totalitarian state.

I'm scared.

That's all I have to say.
I hear you.

I don't like that I'm likely going to die in a country that is largely unrecognizable compared to the one I was born into.

I take some solace in the fact that the resistance is far more powerful than most of us realize, until we truly ARE in a totalitarian society. Trump is, I think, actually too ignorant and inept and corrupt to be Machiavellian enough to pull off a coup or something like that. The real danger is the erosion of social norms and conventions and, of course, democratic institutions, and potentially, hard-to-reverse damage to those things. The other danger is the people become deeply cynical or fearful rather than involved and keeping their eye on the prize, which is to rebuild civil society, promote the great virtues and personal ethics, and root out corruption wherever it is.

There are concrete things you can do to feel less helpless. Attend protests, volunteer for campaigns, even run for office. Call and write your legislators at the country, state and national levels. Fear and helplessness are intrinsically connected. Break that unvirtuous cycle -- you are not helpless.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2017, 07:20 PM
(04-06-2017 04:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 12:45 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  What is your location?

We'll come rescue you.

Hey there LDH...how's the tRump presidency treating you so far?

Are you here to interpret what he's trying to say for us?

I am trying to arrange keeping you around in exchange for getting rid of a couple other forum members. Whodathunk you would be the lesser of evils?

Hey, hey, hey! Leave me out of this! Gasp
04-06-2017, 07:22 PM
(04-06-2017 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 04:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hey there LDH...how's the tRump presidency treating you so far?

I am trying to arrange keeping you around in exchange for getting rid of a couple other forum members. Whodathunk you would be the lesser of evils?

Hey, hey, hey! Leave me out of this! Gasp

Fine, you can stay. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-06-2017, 09:29 PM
(04-06-2017 04:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 12:45 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  What is your location?

We'll come rescue you.

Hey there LDH...how's the tRump presidency treating you so far?

I'm the greater evil? I feel honored. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
04-06-2017, 09:33 PM
(04-06-2017 07:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Hey, hey, hey! Leave me out of this! Gasp

Fine, you can stay. Dodgy

BowingBowing :kissing hand emoji: Laugh out load