I feel stupider after reading this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2011, 05:16 AM
I feel stupider after reading this
http://www.barr-family.com/godsword/old.htm
Are these people serious the sheer stupidity of this page must have knocked several points off my IQ just by reading it.
They even bring the creationist favourite the Second Law of Thermodynamics into it. It's the first time I've seen it used to discredit the earths age rather than just evolution. It's a case of let's make up some facts and try and drag everyone down to our intelligence level. The worrying thing is this was the 4th result in a google search about the earths age.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2011, 09:18 AM
RE: I feel stupider after reading this
(18-07-2011 05:16 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  http://www.barr-family.com/godsword/old.htm
Are these people serious the sheer stupidity of this page must have knocked several points off my IQ just by reading it.
They even bring the creationist favourite the Second Law of Thermodynamics into it. It's the first time I've seen it used to discredit the earths age rather than just evolution. It's a case of let's make up some facts and try and drag everyone down to our intelligence level. The worrying thing is this was the 4th result in a google search about the earths age.

This infidels page seems to cover all the bases.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes angry_liberal's post
18-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I thought you were over reacting until I clicked the link.

However I feel smarter after having read that. Because I was able to understand why they were wrong without having to look anything up. But I did click away feeling saddened slightly, knowing there are people who have not taken a stance that will see this and take it as fact.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
18-07-2011, 08:43 PM
(18-07-2011 05:16 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  http://www.barr-family.com/godsword/old.htm

I feel stupider just for clicking it. ... thanks for the help. ... think I could do without. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
19-07-2011, 08:21 AM
How something like that can be so high up in a google search (it was the fourth result) is just plain wrong. How can someone learn some facts if there is so much bs out there appearing high up in a simple search. I hope enough people have atleast a basic level of common sense to ignore that. But unfortunately these ignorant frauds don't seem to be going away.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
19-07-2011, 09:17 AM
IT IS NOT RADIOCARBON DATING USED TO AGE DATE THE EARTH!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!! I HATE ASSHOLES WHO SPREAD MISINFORMATION LIKE THAT FOR THE EXPLICIT PURPOSE OF MISLEADING PEOPLE!!! AHHHHHH! SO FRUSTRATING!!! (as you can see by my use of the caps lock)

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-07-2011, 11:46 AM
(19-07-2011 08:21 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  How something like that can be so high up in a google search (it was the fourth result) is just plain wrong. How can someone learn some facts if there is so much bs out there appearing high up in a simple search. I hope enough people have atleast a basic level of common sense to ignore that. But unfortunately these ignorant frauds don't seem to be going away.

I had a think about this. I can think of the following possible factors:
  • Page has been around for a fair time
  • Title element is very descriptive
  • Quite a lot of very texty information. (However the infidels page has a lot more information)
  • Lots of YEC pages linking to it. Lots of science pages linking to it to dispute it. [However I could not find any evidence to support this.)

However I would not panic too much. When I searched the top page was Wikipedia and most of the top were reasonable.

The whole issue of creationists who refuse to consider science objectively does get me mad however.
[+] 1 user Likes angry_liberal's post