I feel suicidal but nobody else realises

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2013, 11:14 AM
RE: I feel suicidal but nobody else realises
Very glad to hear you are going to seek help! So much can be done now and so much more is known about depression. Good luck, feel better, and keep us posted.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-11-2013, 12:10 PM
So today I saw my GP and she referred me to counselling and prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram, a type of antidepressant. I am not sure whether to take the antidepressants as I am unsure whether I actually need them as I don't want to take drugs I don't need. I am also scared they will do more harm than good if not needed. I also want to see if I can overcome the anxiety with life style changes and counselling.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
29-11-2013, 12:15 PM
There is nothing wrong with taking meds to help you get past the really bad stuff. It doesn't mean you would have to take it forever. Keep in mind that meds like this often take a while to be effective. If your medication is something you are to take once a day, it may be best to take it at night in case it makes you a little drowsy at first, that side effect usually passes quickly.

I am glad you talked to your GP!

Hope you feel better soon.

29-11-2013, 12:15 PM
(29-11-2013 12:10 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  So today I saw my GP and she referred me to counselling and prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram, a type of antidepressant. I am not sure whether to take the antidepressants as I am unsure whether I actually need them as I don't want to take drugs I don't need. I am also scared they will do more harm than good if not needed. I also want to see if I can overcome the anxiety with life style changes and counselling.

Take them for a week and see if they help. It is well worth it if they do.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-11-2013, 12:16 PM
(29-11-2013 12:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 12:10 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  So today I saw my GP and she referred me to counselling and prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram, a type of antidepressant. I am not sure whether to take the antidepressants as I am unsure whether I actually need them as I don't want to take drugs I don't need. I am also scared they will do more harm than good if not needed. I also want to see if I can overcome the anxiety with life style changes and counselling.

With a lot of that type of med, a week isn't long enough. They need to build up in your system.

29-11-2013, 12:49 PM
(29-11-2013 12:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  

She said she would check up on me after a week to see if there were any negative symptoms like feeling more suicidal. But ultimately she said I was looking at 6-9 months on them.

29-11-2013, 12:52 PM
(29-11-2013 12:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There is nothing wrong with taking meds to help you get past the really bad stuff. It doesn't mean you would have to take it forever. Keep in mind that meds like this often take a while to be effective. If your medication is something you are to take once a day, it may be best to take it at night in case it makes you a little drowsy at first, that side effect usually passes quickly.

I am glad you talked to your GP!

Hope you feel better soon.

The thing is though, I know I have depression but she thinks I have severe depression as I did an online test and got 20/27. However I don't think I gave as accurate answers as I could have done because it was done quickly. When I got home and did the test again I got 14/27 which is mild depression. I don't want to take medication for severe depression if I don't actually have it. I'm not sure what to do. I might ask to try counselling first and then see if I need meds.

29-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Of course, it's your choice but you may be surprised at how well you respond to chemical help. You can pair that with counseling and probably make a lot of progress.

Get feeling better soon, depression sucks.

29-11-2013, 01:14 PM
It's great that you're getting help!
I had depression for a while after having psychosis but never got help due to religious bias against depression meds. In retrospect I wish I had.
I hope everything goes well

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
29-11-2013, 02:04 PM
(29-11-2013 12:52 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  The thing is though, I know I have depression but she thinks I have severe depression as I did an online test and got 20/27. However I don't think I gave as accurate answers as I could have done because it was done quickly. When I got home and did the test again I got 14/27 which is mild depression. I don't want to take medication for severe depression if I don't actually have it. I'm not sure what to do. I might ask to try counselling first and then see if I need meds.

Take your freaking meds - right now!
Geesh. Depressed and stubborn about it - not good.

Now take them!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man