I feel suicidal but nobody else realises

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 05:28 PM
RE: I feel suicidal but nobody else realises
I can appreciate the resistance to using the medication.
But should give yourself a realistic deadline for getting over it in alternate ways.
Most of the stuff online about antidepressants are from
Antention whore conspiracy theory loons.

Reality is that negative side effects are rare and are not going to be worse than death.

The placebo effect alone can keep people alive.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
30-11-2013, 02:19 AM
(29-11-2013 05:28 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I can appreciate the resistance to using the medication.
But should give yourself a realistic deadline for getting over it in alternate ways.
Most of the stuff online about antidepressants are from
Antention whore conspiracy theory loons.

Reality is that negative side effects are rare and are not going to be worse than death.

The placebo effect alone can keep people alive.

I have decided not to take the meds. At the moMment I think lifestyle changes might help like good diet and consistent wake times. My depression is due to focusing on all my previous fuck ups in life so I feel that the way I want to overcome it is through counselling and trying to become the person I aim to be in life. I don't want to rely on drugs.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
30-11-2013, 02:33 PM
(30-11-2013 02:19 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I have decided not to take the meds. At the moMment I think lifestyle changes might help like good diet and consistent wake times. My depression is due to focusing on all my previous fuck ups in life so I feel that the way I want to overcome it is through counselling and trying to become the person I aim to be in life. I don't want to rely on drugs.

You don't actually know that. One aspect of depression is that it causes one to focus on the negative, so you may have the cause and effect reversed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-11-2013, 03:36 PM
(30-11-2013 02:19 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I have decided not to take the meds. At the moMment I think lifestyle changes might help like good diet and consistent wake times. My depression is due to focusing on all my previous fuck ups in life so I feel that the way I want to overcome it is through counselling and trying to become the person I aim to be in life. I don't want to rely on drugs.

If you are determined not to take the meds at this time and just want to see how the therapy goes, please do speak with your therapist about it. Your therapist may have some specific line of questioning geared to clients to measure progress - the expectations would be different for people using medication.

In any case, your therapist should be informed whether or not you are taking meds. A good therapist might be able to provide some alternative options - even dietary suggestions which could effect chemical reactions. You never know.

Many young people often ignore their mental health until it becomes a real issue, not only for them but for those around them. It's great that you are taking the first steps to take charge of your health and take charge of things going on in your life. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Well that just blows the title now everyone realizes.

It's not rocket science, just do some psychiatry. If you really are about to kill yourself like right now, check into a psychological emergency room because life is always worth living, especially if you have been given opportunities like university and jobs and the mere fact you have a computer puts you ahead of about 80% of the human race. Don't go and waste that by killing yourself when you have the potential to do literally anything.
30-11-2013, 04:26 PM
(30-11-2013 02:19 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I have decided not to take the meds.

Girly takes the meds (Seroquel's the shit that works for me, ymmv), or else I gets the hose again.

[Image: tumblr_m6eyy0Q2nU1rziwwco1_400.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyBoy's post
30-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Sometimes depression can be reversed through lifestyle changes, this helped me, sleeping less, getting out of the house more. Sometimes medication is needed though due to an actual chemical imbalance. After a couple of weeks, if you aren't feeling better through lifestyle change and counseling, try adding the medication.

Did you just go to your gp and not a counselor? I'd highly suggest a counselor. Just one or two sessions can do so much. Hug glad you are on a good path!
30-11-2013, 11:22 PM
My 2 cents:

Use your common sense to find the best treatment for yourself. Of course it is important to be safe. There are helplinesyou can call if
you are in a crisis, or if you fear you might harm yourself.

It is important to find a good counselor. If you have a choice, talk to more than one counselor and see who is the best fit. Also,
there are good and bad counselors, and bad ones are not as helpful. Itseems that you have a lot of negative perceptions
of yourself, and a good counselor can help yousee things in a different way. A counselor can also give you practical advice,
like on how to make friends mget a girlfriend, reduce stress etc.

Lifestyle changes are good. In particular, physical exercise is good.

I think you are right about being reluctant about meds. If you start, you have to stick to it for at least several months. It usually
takes weeks before they start working. They do have side effects. antidepressants don't always work and it may take a while
before you find the one that works for you. But they can be effective. I would discuss it with the counselor whether to take meds.

I think you are right to be reluctant about meds,
01-12-2013, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 09:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-11-2013 11:22 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I think you are right to be reluctant about meds,

Girly disagrees. I like the meds. No biggie.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
01-12-2013, 10:19 PM
(21-11-2013 08:24 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Nobody can tell I feel suicidal though, as I put on a false personality.

Nobody can see it in GirlyMan, but they all suspect it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.