I felt proud

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I felt proud
Hey, everyone.

You know, I came to this site about three years ago because I saw this report about a guy doing reverse baptisms and I thought it was a dick move. I've spent the better part of the last decade trying to understand the mechanics of social interaction so that I can, to be cliche, save the human race. I'm right with anyone that says that religion is problematic and I tell my religious friends as much. My hope, the entire time I've been here, has been to show that THE problem isn't religion, but that it goes much deeper. It's that umbrella issue we have to deal with, not religion. If we eliminate religion, we're still stuck with the umbrella; which is a worse scenario because it won't be perceived as a problem anymore. But if we deal with the umbrella issue, all of the problems with religion disappear as a matter of course.

Furthermore, I'm an Agnostic and I've gotten into many arguments with people about the meaning of that word.

Finally, I'm anti-civilisation. Don't get me wrong, I like my medical care and fruit roll ups. I just see certain beliefs (like unlimited growth for example), coupled with hierarchy, to be the source of all of our problems. And for the record, no, I have no idea what the alternative is or how to transition to it... yet Cool

Suffice it to say that I have gotten into many heated arguments with people over the years... I've even harboured grudges.

Throw onto all of this that I have a zero tolerance rule for ad hominems and that my typical response is to go nuclear and I've had some doozie disagreements over the years.

When all is said and done; however, I have received many compliments over the years, both publicly and privately, for my ability to offer a coherent argument, despite how lateral thinking or unpopular it is. It's not everywhere that people can disagree with you in one breath and compliment you with the next.

So why am I saying all of this?

Not everyone agrees on this site. Some don't agree with me, some don't agree with King... there's a lot of differing opinion, but aside from the odd passionate flare up, it's still a good place to talk.

This Rothbard cat was a straight up racist. It was pretty disgusting. Like really. When all is said and done, he was pretty much rotten to the core. Honestly, it's a little scary. I was PROUD of this community's reaction. Everyone, without fail, took it to this asshole. Nobody was ready to swallow his bullshit. As much as we all disagree about this, that or the other, it filled me with joy to know that there is a line than no one is willing to allow another to cross. I think that it reminded me of our commonality. And that felt good. It also hit really close to home because I'm a black person and this is the kind of guy that gets me killed. It's nice to know that you are all allies. And lastly, we're all passionate about science. When an asshole comes in and tries to use it to justify something as flimsy as social Darwinism, something that got debunked and ripped to shreds a hundred years ago, I'm glad that we're ready to smash the Balrog path and scream, "You shall not pass!"

I just... I don't know if I'm doing my feelings justice... I think... After seeing a lot of people's actions, my disagreements with them seem so much more trivial... I don't know... It all just means a lot to me.

Anyhoo, thank you.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 19 users Like Ghost's post
12-05-2013, 09:50 AM
RE: I felt proud
Needs a Gwyneth pic to keep hoc happy.
12-05-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm only racist about the you being Canadian bit. Tongue

(12-05-2013 09:50 AM)hedgehog648 Wrote:  Needs a Gwyneth pic to keep hoc happy.

You shouldn't be encouraging that maniac. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-05-2013, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 10:13 AM by Free Thought.)
Yes, the community jumped on him, and he got banned because he forced himself into 'Banception'; he got banned due to being banned from being banned.

[Edit: text removed due to extreme incoherence]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-05-2013, 10:09 AM
I think that this community, although the word "morality" will be plucked apart into smithereens, has a much higher moral standard than most I have seen.

Most people here have empathy and an understanding of how society works.

As far as religion goes, you can't remove it anyway unless the participants die out, which I think will happen eventually.

If you try to remove it, you just create an extensive, more passionate subculture that thinks it has been wronged and will gather followers on that platform.

If you were successful at removing it (not gonna happen anyway) humans would still be looking for new woo. People like woo, they like the inexplicable that takes them out of their everyday lives.

Also, we tend to forget that many countries and cultures are still very uneducated and believe whatever crap has been passed down to them.

I do think we will overcome all this in time, but not in my life time. I think the current teen generation is going to advance society a lot, but I don't even think they will live long enough to see the resolution of religion, racism, sexism, and all kinds of prejudices. Societal evolution takes time.

But each generation generates a ton of change, although mostly they don't receive credit for it. Without recent generations we would still have slavery, women pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen, witch hunts and all sorts of social wrongs. We are progressing.

I like this forum because there are all kinds of people here, all socio-economic statuses, world regions, colors, ages, genders, sexual orientations etc. etc. We initially only have one thing in common - atheism. But soon that expands to "thought" in general. I love the differences, they make for a variety of viewpoints and opinions and that is what generates personal growth and societal evolution.

So the things that make you mad sometimes are often the most enlightening in the long run.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
12-05-2013, 10:35 AM
(12-05-2013 09:44 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, everyone.

You know, I came to this site about three years ago because I saw this report about a guy doing reverse baptisms and I thought it was a dick move. I've spent the better part of the last decade trying to understand the mechanics of social interaction so that I can, to be cliche, save the human race. I'm right with anyone that says that religion is problematic and I tell my religious friends as much. My hope, the entire time I've been here, has been to show that THE problem isn't religion, but that it goes much deeper. It's that umbrella issue we have to deal with, not religion. If we eliminate religion, we're still stuck with the umbrella; which is a worse scenario because it won't be perceived as a problem anymore. But if we deal with the umbrella issue, all of the problems with religion disappear as a matter of course.

Furthermore, I'm an Agnostic and I've gotten into many arguments with people about the meaning of that word.

Finally, I'm anti-civilisation. Don't get me wrong, I like my medical care and fruit roll ups. I just see certain beliefs (like unlimited growth for example), coupled with hierarchy, to be the source of all of our problems. And for the record, no, I have no idea what the alternative is or how to transition to it... yet Cool

Suffice it to say that I have gotten into many heated arguments with people over the years... I've even harboured grudges.

Throw onto all of this that I have a zero tolerance rule for ad hominems and that my typical response is to go nuclear and I've had some doozie disagreements over the years.

When all is said and done; however, I have received many compliments over the years, both publicly and privately, for my ability to offer a coherent argument, despite how lateral thinking or unpopular it is. It's not everywhere that people can disagree with you in one breath and compliment you with the next.

Not everyone agrees on this site. Some don't agree with me, some don't agree with King... there's a lot of differing opinion, but aside from the odd passionate flare up, it's still a good place to talk.

This Rothbard cat was a straight up racist. It was pretty disgusting. Like really. When all is said and done, he was pretty much rotten to the core. Honestly, it's a little scary. I was PROUD of this community's reaction. Everyone, without fail, took it to this asshole. Nobody was ready to swallow his bullshit. As much as we all disagree about this, that or the other, it filled me with joy to know that there is a line than no one is willing to allow another to cross. I think that it reminded me of our commonality. And that felt good. It also hit really close to home because I'm a black person and this is the kind of guy that gets me killed. It's nice to know that you are all allies. And lastly, we're all passionate about science. When an asshole comes in and tries to use it to justify something as flimsy as social Darwinism, something that got debunked and ripped to shreds a hundred years ago, I'm glad that we're ready to smash the Balrog path and scream, "You shall not pass!"

I just... I don't know if I'm doing my feelings justice... I think... After seeing a lot of people's actions, my disagreements with them seem so much more trivial... I don't know... It all just means a lot to me.

Anyhoo, thank you.

Matt

You know we didn't do that for you, don't you? We did it for us. All of us. Even 'Muffs. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
(12-05-2013 09:44 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, everyone.

Anyhoo, thank you.

Matt

Who are you? Drinking Beverage

Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-05-2013, 11:23 AM
(12-05-2013 10:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yes, the community jumped on him, and he got banned because he forced himself into 'Banception'; he got banned due to being banned from being banned.

Was he really banned? I disagreed with his views, but I hate to see anyone's free speech stifled.

I wasn't aware that you were black, Ghost, but in any case the case for scientific racism should rise or fall based on the evidence rather than its implications. After reading up on it (I was woefully ignorant on the subject), I'm rather happy to see that the evidence is poor -- especially since I would despise myself for having to defend racism in any context if the evidence was persuasive for such practices.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
12-05-2013, 11:38 AM
(12-05-2013 11:23 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 10:07 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yes, the community jumped on him, and he got banned because he forced himself into 'Banception'; he got banned due to being banned from being banned.

Was he really banned? I disagreed with his views, but I hate to see anyone's free speech stifled.

I wasn't aware that you were black, Ghost, but in any case the case for scientific racism should rise or fall based on the evidence rather than its implications. After reading up on it (I was woefully ignorant on the subject), I'm rather happy to see that the evidence is poor -- especially since I would despise myself for having to defend racism in any context if the evidence was persuasive for such practices.

He was banned for having multiple accounts aka sockpuppeting. Sadly some people get off on negative attention so he may have just been a Poe or he might have been legit either way he was wrong about the facts and douche.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-05-2013, 12:01 PM
(12-05-2013 09:44 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I was PROUD of this community's reaction. Everyone, without fail, took it to this asshole. Nobody was ready to swallow his bullshit. As much as we all disagree about this, that or the other, it filled me with joy to know that there is a line than no one is willing to allow another to cross. I think that it reminded me of our commonality. And that felt good.

I find it comforting that the most tolerant, non-bigoted, non-sexist and non-judgemental group of people I know are skeptics. And I find it stupefying that the the ones that are the opposite are the most religious. Religions to me are the ultimate private clubs, exclusionary and intolerant.

I don't know if this dipshit was religious or whatnot, I came into the conversation late, but I abhor stereotyping. I've dealt my my share of discrimination so I am sensitive to being in the minority, seems to me I'm always the guy in the periphery, the one that doesn't quite fit in, sounds like you feel the same way too.

Peace, love and empathy to you Matt.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post