I finally told my mom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 03:07 PM
I finally told my mom
Yep. Told my mom.

A couple reasons why I decided to finally stop putting it off:

1. to stop putting it off!
2. Just got done reading Joshua. Started reading Judges. I read the description from "Skeptics Annotated Bible", and apparently there's a story at the end of a concubine gangrape and mutilation that would make Freddy Kruger blush. I said, "Uh uh, I'm done." I mean I'm still going to read. But my mom is also helping to raise my nephew. This is the book you get your morals from?
3. I wanted to be out with my mom first, so I can finally be out with everyone else.

How'd it go?

Waaaaay better than I thought. No tears. She listened to me give my "deconversion". I listened to her. And I wanna be clear, she's a very progressive mom. She said she's against organized religion. But she's very spiritual. She believes in miracles. She knows, KNOWS there is a God through personal experience. So yes, she used the combination of argument from personal experience and argument from miracles. But this was not a debate. I basically laid it out there. I probably could have gone after those problematic explanations, but I didn't. She said she does not condemn me, but she hopes I'll turn around some day.

I kept trying to tell her my view on God: I don't know if God exists, but if he does, I hope he doesn't care if I believe he exists.

She didn't really see that now. But I hope I got through somewhere.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like WalkingSnake's post
29-05-2015, 03:11 PM
RE: I finally told my mom
(29-05-2015 03:07 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  Yep. Told my mom.

A couple reasons why I decided to finally stop putting it off:

1. to stop putting it off!
2. Just got done reading Joshua. Started reading Judges. I read the description from "Skeptics Annotated Bible", and apparently there's a story at the end of a concubine gangrape and mutilation that would make Freddy Kruger blush. I said, "Uh uh, I'm done." I mean I'm still going to read. But my mom is also helping to raise my nephew. This is the book you get your morals from?
3. I wanted to be out with my mom first, so I can finally be out with everyone else.

How'd it go?

Waaaaay better than I thought. No tears. She listened to me give my "deconversion". I listened to her. And I wanna be clear, she's a very progressive mom. She said she's against organized religion. But she's very spiritual. She believes in miracles. She knows, KNOWS there is a God through personal experience. So yes, she used the combination of argument from personal experience and argument from miracles. But this was not a debate. I basically laid it out there. I probably could have gone after those problematic explanations, but I didn't. She said she does not condemn me, but she hopes I'll turn around some day.

I kept trying to tell her my view on God: I don't know if God exists, but if he does, I hope he doesn't care if I believe he exists.

She didn't really see that now. But I hope I got through somewhere.

Congrats and good for you! Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
29-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Well done. It must be a weight off your shoulders! Smile

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 2 users Like LostLegend's post
29-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Well done.

To you.

And your Mom.

That's a giant step for both of you. Don't underestimate it!!!

Advice: tell our Mom you love her
Advice: buy your Mom flowers and tell her you love her
Advice: buy her a bottle of wine and tell her you love her (OK, she doesn't drink...buy her something else..it's not important)

Give her time and space to come to grips with your decision.

Sounds like you've got a great Mom.

Be kind. It won't be easy for her.
[+] 4 users Like jockmcdock's post
29-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Well done. I finally sold my mom. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-05-2015, 03:42 PM
(29-05-2015 03:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well done. I finally sold my mom. Angel

Did you get a good price?
[+] 3 users Like jockmcdock's post
29-05-2015, 04:55 PM
There's a chance that I've opened pandora's box though. My mom texted me today and asked me to give her a copy of my "deconversion" testimony so she could have a team of 5 elders pray over it. Huh Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes WalkingSnake's post
29-05-2015, 05:05 PM
(29-05-2015 04:55 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  There's a chance that I've opened pandora's box though. My mom texted me today and asked me to give her a copy of my "deconversion" testimony so she could have a team of 5 elders pray over it. Huh Dodgy

Tell her it's personal and that you wanted to share it with her alone...for now, at least.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
29-05-2015, 05:22 PM
(29-05-2015 04:55 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  team of 5 elders

Sounds pretty organized to me...

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
29-05-2015, 05:29 PM
(29-05-2015 04:55 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  There's a chance that I've opened pandora's box though. My mom texted me today and asked me to give her a copy of my "deconversion" testimony so she could have a team of 5 elders pray over it. Huh Dodgy

Don’t. Do. It.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce