I found this neat article on GMOs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2014, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 02:42 AM by Cephalotus.)
RE: I found this neat article on GMOs
This post has been removed by it's author.

Nothing the author says makes a difference, so why bother?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2014, 07:48 AM
(10-07-2014 03:49 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 10:07 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  For the love of god.

Dude, really? On an atheist forum? Really?

(09-07-2014 10:07 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I, for one, will read them.

Sorry, but there really is no point. If anybody wanted to look into it themselves they would come across everything needed to make up their own mind one way or another. (Like I said before, once people start blindly believing everything they read on personal blogs and from special interest groups, THEN we have a serious problem. You should always triple check any information you come across, then double check it a few more times after that!)

Actually, if you ever have the opportunity to chat up someone who works in the industry, DO IT. I live in a college town, and I've been lucky enough to speak with professors and instructors from three different universities. They will expand your horizons much more than the random sheeple on the web who just repeat what everyone's blogs say. Tongue

I'm trying to just be happy that Dom and Chas seem to have started up a cute little conversation in here and leave it as positive as I can. This subject is too close to home for me, and I don't want to get involved in an internet conversation that is going to get me real life upset for various reasons. It's one of those things that everyone needs to decide for themselves anyhow.

Uh....peace again?

For the love of god in an atheist forum - humor, anyone?

Talking to people involved in a specific industry isn't necessarily a good idea to get facts unless they are the actual scientists who conducted the research and they don't have a horse in the race anymore. Companies tend to control the info their employees see.

And you are right - it's a good idea to distance oneself from internet convos that hit close to home if that is very upsetting. There are some topics I won't get involved in either... they just make me mad.

If you do have things you want us to read, do go ahead and post them if you like. I am always open to looking at new evidence (new to me).

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-07-2014, 08:20 AM

Sorry, but there really is no point.

Oh, look, a self-serving unfalsifiable dismissal. 'Cause that's helpful.

(10-07-2014 03:49 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  If anybody wanted to look into it themselves they would come across everything needed to make up their own mind one way or another. (Like I said before, once people start blindly believing everything they read on personal blogs and from special interest groups, THEN we have a serious problem. You should always triple check any information you come across, then double check it a few more times after that!)

Are the sources I actually provided earlier in the thread worthwhile, in your opinion? Not that you looked at them, apparently...

(10-07-2014 03:49 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Actually, if you ever have the opportunity to chat up someone who works in the industry, DO IT. I live in a college town, and I've been lucky enough to speak with professors and instructors from three different universities. They will expand your horizons much more than the random sheeple on the web who just repeat what everyone's blogs say. Tongue

Oh, it's argument from authority time again?

I am a graduate student at a university. I have friends, relatives, and colleagues at universities across the province. Some of them are biologists and ecologists.

Incidentally, are these guys random sheeple?

(10-07-2014 03:49 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Uh....peace again?

Any time.

... this is my signature!
10-07-2014, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 10:01 AM by Chas.)

Sorry, but there really is no point. If anybody wanted to look into it themselves they would come across everything needed to make up their own mind one way or another. (Like I said before, once people start blindly believing everything they read on personal blogs and from special interest groups, THEN we have a serious problem. You should always triple check any information you come across, then double check it a few more times after that!)

Actually, if you ever have the opportunity to chat up someone who works in the industry, DO IT. I live in a college town, and I've been lucky enough to speak with professors and instructors from three different universities. They will expand your horizons much more than the random sheeple on the web who just repeat what everyone's blogs say. Tongue

I'm trying to just be happy that Dom and Chas seem to have started up a cute little conversation in here and leave it as positive as I can. This subject is too close to home for me, and I don't want to get involved in an internet conversation that is going to get me real life upset for various reasons. It's one of those things that everyone needs to decide for themselves anyhow.

Uh....peace again?

"cute little conversation"? Take your unwarranted arrogance and smarmy condescension and shove them up your ass. Drinking Beverage

And I suggest you work on your knowledge and understanding of evolution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 02:41 AM by Cephalotus.)
This post has been removed by it's author.

Nothing the author says makes a difference, so why bother?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-07-2014, 10:41 AM

Uh....peace again?

I was going for humour. I paused for a half second or so when I wrote it. Decided to leave it in.

I am bit puzzled why you carried on for so long about a topic you ultimately don't want to discuss. Waiving around your credentials and citing your professors leads one to believe that you had the intention of saying something informed and intelligent. I am not sure exactly what is stopping you from presenting data in favor of your position. Defending their studies doesn't have to be your cross to bear (wait.. am I allowed to say that?). For my part, I read this far in the hopes that I might learn something. You can imagine, then, why I might be acutely frustrated.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
10-07-2014, 10:52 AM
(10-07-2014 10:32 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  cjlr-I saw that the first study was from 2005 and laughed. I didn't bother looking at the rest of them because I promise you I've seen them ALL already. Everything that is newer than April, anyhow.

And that's the spin you're taking with this?

I dunno, I'm rather of the opinion that the World Health Organisation is a pretty good source on the matter.

That they have not seen fit to update their publication since 2005 means that they have not seen fit to change their opinion since 2005.

You do understand that, right?

Settled matter still settled; news at 11.

10-07-2014, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 11:21 AM by cjlr.)
EDIT: double post.

10-07-2014, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 11:22 AM by cjlr.)
Seriously now.

How many good articles and reviews should I post?

Or arguments from authority? Here are some Nobel prize winners.

But apparently having posted one link from 2005 means the rest don't count. Oh, well.

10-07-2014, 01:08 PM
(10-07-2014 10:32 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I clicked on this thread to read new replies without checking out the title....yeah, since a lot of you missed it: I'm not going to be participating in or reading this thread anymore.

And, yet again, you might want to ask yourselves why you are pushing this issue so hard with someone you only know FROM THE INTERNET. You sound like Chippy Jrs.

Chas, I was sincerely going to appologize for coming off as condescending but then you told me to shove something up my ass and insulted my university's biology department. So you can just fuck yourself, old man.

cjlr-I saw that the first study was from 2005 and laughed. I didn't bother looking at the rest of them because I promise you I've seen them ALL already. Everything that is newer than April, anyhow.

I did not mean to insult your university's biology department, just you.

Your misunderstanding of evolution is your own.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user