I got a diagnosis.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 12:18 PM
I got a diagnosis.
I thought this was important to share with you all. In religion, I was told that my struggles with mental health were demons messing with my head, and that if I would just pray and stop sinning, I would get all better. Even after leaving religion, this idea that my mental health was out of whack because of a flaw in my character persisted.

Today I went and got help, because lately it's just been too bad, and I can't go on without any help. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and my NP thinks I have bipolar depression. Next week she is going to write me a prescription for some medicine that will help balance my mood - I can't wait! The manic times can be a lot of fun (though I make impulsive decisions I would never normally make), and the depressive stages are absolute hell - they're extra bad, which is why she suspects bipolar depression.

I wanted to update you all. Religious clerics telling people that mental illness is demon possession is dangerous and needs to stop.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
10-02-2016, 12:33 PM
RE: I got a diagnosis.
Good on you for going for help.

And yes, saying that mental illness is demon possession is about as low as it gets.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-02-2016, 12:39 PM
I'm happy you're getting help and will soon be getting better.
Hug

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
10-02-2016, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2016 12:44 PM by Brian37.)
(10-02-2016 12:18 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I thought this was important to share with you all. In religion, I was told that my struggles with mental health were demons messing with my head, and that if I would just pray and stop sinning, I would get all better. Even after leaving religion, this idea that my mental health was out of whack because of a flaw in my character persisted.

Today I went and got help, because lately it's just been too bad, and I can't go on without any help. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and my NP thinks I have bipolar depression. Next week she is going to write me a prescription for some medicine that will help balance my mood - I can't wait! The manic times can be a lot of fun (though I make impulsive decisions I would never normally make), and the depressive stages are absolute hell - they're extra bad, which is why she suspects bipolar depression.

I wanted to update you all. Religious clerics telling people that mental illness is demon possession is dangerous and needs to stop.

Do what your doctor says. But part of that on your part is being aware of the side effects, and reporting them every single time if they happen. Some of these meds can have severe side effects including thoughts of suicide. Not telling you not to take them, just follow instructions and report any changes in your body and your emotions to your doctor.

And yes, holy people of any label are not clinical psychiatrist, psychologist or medical doctor. Even outside your diagnosis holy people fuck up even marriages, divorce custody battles, and addiction and gays by pumping them up with the idea that the magic of prayer will fix them.

The only thing at best holy people are good for is a mental placebo. Religious diversion therapy is garbage.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
10-02-2016, 01:06 PM
(10-02-2016 12:18 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I thought this was important to share with you all. In religion, I was told that my struggles with mental health were demons messing with my head, and that if I would just pray and stop sinning, I would get all better. Even after leaving religion, this idea that my mental health was out of whack because of a flaw in my character persisted.

I am so very happy for you that you were able to get the help that you need, I have a very dear friend on medication for bipolar and it works very well for her. She has had times in the past when she stopped taking it but always starts again, it works very well and she feels much better for it. Good for you to have the courage to get the help that you need...Bowing I admire courage in general...
10-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Hug

Hoping for all the best for you.
10-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Good for you for seeking real help.

It is a disgrace that some religious groups blame genuine health issues on imaginary demons that can only be helped through imaginary gods.

Just realize that even meds can take a little time to work. And, sometimes it takes a while to find the thing(s) that works best for you.

You are on your way to feeling better! Thumbsup:

Keep us posted on your progress.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-02-2016, 01:25 PM
I'm happy to hear that you have a diagnosis and a plan.

It is awful and misguided for people to talk about demons and possession; it does much harm, and I'm very sad and angry that those useless concepts were thrown at you when you needed help that worked.

You're the same great person you have always been, and now you have more information and tools. I hope you quickly find a regimen to keep you feeling well and let you get on with your life and career.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
10-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the fucking club.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
10-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Seroquel for the win!