I got a question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 09:16 AM
I got a question
Today i was thinking about how the very first time i ever came out on a website and stated i doubted a deity existed. I got backlash that i was a little shocked over because i just never saw that many people go nuts before. I got comments like "I'll pray for you"
And even personal emails trying to convert me with bible verses. Or shockingly threats yeah threats! saying things like "I'll burn if i don't believe" By grown adults it was depressing and i couldn't understand how the people who was supposed to be loving would say such horrible mean things to me. I got this offline to, however not as often.
The first site i went to i don't remember the name of but it wasn't accepting, i remember when i was younger i wanted to hear the christian side so i joined one of their websites and before i could speak my reasons i was banded for simply saying i didn't believe and wanted to see others view points. Of course, it's gotten better over time, iv'e gown up and learned how to speak my mind and how to handle people.
However it made me want to ask you guys a question
when you first joined a website and stated you didn't believe for the first time
how did people react? and over time did the insults and rude people fade?
I know over time they faded with me. I'm asking because this don't happen anymore, and it's a very long time ago however i want to hear how it happened with you if you got more support or more hate from believers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 03:50 PM
RE: I got a question
(15-12-2014 09:16 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Today i was thinking about how the very first time i ever came out on a website and stated i doubted a deity existed. I got backlash that i was a little shocked over because i just never saw that many people go nuts before. I got comments like "I'll pray for you"
And even personal emails trying to convert me with bible verses. Or shockingly threats yeah threats! saying things like "I'll burn if i don't believe" By grown adults it was depressing and i couldn't understand how the people who was supposed to be loving would say such horrible mean things to me. I got this offline to, however not as often.
The first site i went to i don't remember the name of but it wasn't accepting, i remember when i was younger i wanted to hear the christian side so i joined one of their websites and before i could speak my reasons i was banded for simply saying i didn't believe and wanted to see others view points. Of course, it's gotten better over time, iv'e gown up and learned how to speak my mind and how to handle people.
However it made me want to ask you guys a question
when you first joined a website and stated you didn't believe for the first time
how did people react? and over time did the insults and rude people fade?
I know over time they faded with me. I'm asking because this don't happen anymore, and it's a very long time ago however i want to hear how it happened with you if you got more support or more hate from believers.

People are people, believer, doubter, or non believer.
Forums tend to better support shared convictions.
'Belief' is not the same as to'know' though many 'know' better'
So called fence sitting agnosticism sometimes cops unjustified flak.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
15-12-2014, 04:07 PM
(15-12-2014 09:16 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  However it made me want to ask you guys a question
how did people react?

On FB I cut 'em off at the ankles. For politics I put "apolitical" and for religion I put "areligious". Only comment I ever got was "A religious what?" I ignored it. It was surprising to see how many of my FB are serious fundies though. They also tend to be the rightwing nutsos.

#sigh
15-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Hah. Only place online I've said anything is here.

On FB I'm listed as Atheist if you look at my about page, but no one ever does. One guy did. Told me I'd burn in hell. I blocked him, no worries Smile Quite a few of my Christian friends know. They tend to not give a shit, so neither do I.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-12-2014, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 05:07 PM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
I wouldn't really say that I've "come out" or anything or even introduced myself as an unbeliever. It wasn't particularly important.

I have occasionally discussed religion online (four-ish times, three-ish places), and nobody really gave a shit about me being an athiest. All my conversations, IRL or otherwise, were entirely amnicable until I joined the Worthy Christian Forums and then here.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
16-12-2014, 06:00 AM
the first time I posted it online was here, so no backlash, just "pull up a chair".

but I was raised in a secular home, etc so I have pretty much always been this way, a few years of exploring a non-denom church- but it didnt stick.

Its only since Ive met my inlaws and came here that I realized hiw truly fucked up religion is. Before that it was only the stories that made headlines that I noticed.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
16-12-2014, 06:19 AM
This reaction to things that go against social norms is evolutionary. Our species evolved to seek patterns, unfortunately in doing that we gap fill with artificial labels like religion and political party. It is good for creating social order, the problem is that it pits the "in group" against "the other".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2014, 06:20 AM
I had very little backlash. I get more backlash from Evolution...
18-12-2014, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2014 11:32 PM by Gordon.)
If you go into any group of people and tell them you're an atheist, you are automatically thought of as dysfunctional and maybe even dangerous, unless that group happens to be atheists.

You saying you "don't believe" to a group who does believe is the same thing to them as an open form of disrespect. Christian groups will not tolerate atheism, because as I'm sure you've seen in atheist groups, atheists can sometimes be very rude and demeaning to the sacred symbols of Christianity. And I don't know if atheists really understand how offensive that is. People will kill over that.

So, just saying you're an atheist is often seen as an open threat, or an open form of hostility. The assumption is that if you don't believe, you will keep it to yourself. To state it openly is considered by the religious to be a directed form of personal attack.

I think this video from Easy Rider really says it all. It's only a 1:48 long.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2014, 06:15 AM
This is the only place I've said anything. The closest I've come to making a comment was getting irate on Facebook about a baptist church posting a billboard using an Adolf Hitler quote in a positive connotation - granted, they did have a point Dodgy, just not the one they thought they were making. My mom flipped her shit when I ranted about the dangers of religion, and I quickly deleted my post - she had told me she never gets on Facebook, but apparently she stalks me and gets emails whenever I update. My FB doesn't have anything listed under religion (could be another reason why she freaked). Side note: I really should start doing screenshots of my newsfeed and post it in the pics for a laugh at religion section.

I also deleted my quote from when I joined in 2005 "If you really want to make God laugh, show Him your plans" - Mother Theresa, and changed it to "Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something." - Thoreau.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post