I got featured in a Godless Cranium video!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2018, 02:16 AM
I got featured in a Godless Cranium video!
I answered a challenge GC had put out for Christians, because they were failing badly at even getting the question right. It's about what Christianity can achieve that can't be done in secular ways. I'm super chuffed he took the time to reply to my video!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like Robvalue's post
07-02-2018, 04:37 AM
RE: I got featured in a Godless Cranium video!
(07-02-2018 02:16 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I answered a challenge GC had put out for Christians, because they were failing badly at even getting the question right. It's about what Christianity can achieve that can't be done in secular ways. I'm super chuffed he took the time to reply to my video!

Hooray Rob! You remind him of Superman! Thumbsup

...... the bad one. Sad

I am an antipistevist. That's like an antipastovist, only with epistemic responsibility instead of bruschetta.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
07-02-2018, 05:10 AM
(07-02-2018 04:37 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(07-02-2018 02:16 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I answered a challenge GC had put out for Christians, because they were failing badly at even getting the question right. It's about what Christianity can achieve that can't be done in secular ways. I'm super chuffed he took the time to reply to my video!

Hooray Rob! You remind him of Superman! Thumbsup

...... the bad one. Sad

Awww! Oh well, the atheist is always the villain Wink

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
07-02-2018, 05:24 AM
(07-02-2018 02:16 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  It's about what Christianity can achieve that can't be done in secular ways.

Congratulations on being featured in the video.

The answer to the question, though, is simple.

Christianity, for centuries, provided people with an integrated view of cosmology, history, morality, the arts, and the individual in culture. Nothing but religion has done this, ever.

When Christianity started to lose steam in Europe, people began to wonder might serve to provide such an integrated view, to provide an overall culture. Some people suggested that the arts alone might do it. Sad to say, the closest substitute has been nationalism.

Eagleton, Terry; Culture and the Death of God

Taylor, Charles; A Secular Age
07-02-2018, 06:48 AM
An integrated view of mostly made-up stories, and disgusting morality based on a vile book. It prevailed for so long because of a combination of scientific ignorance and violence/oppression. It's still doing so in much of the world, along with Islam.

There's no reason one particular set of dogma has to cover absolutely everything, nor do people need to be told what to do and think. Why is that desirable? In England and much of Europe, religion is pretty much irrelevant yet we're doing just fine.

[+] 6 users Like Robvalue's post
07-02-2018, 08:51 AM
(07-02-2018 05:24 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(07-02-2018 02:16 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  It's about what Christianity can achieve that can't be done in secular ways.

Congratulations on being featured in the video.

The answer to the question, though, is simple.

Christianity, for centuries, provided people with an integrated view of cosmology, history, morality, the arts, and the individual in culture. Nothing but religion has done this, ever.

When Christianity started to lose steam in Europe, people began to wonder might serve to provide such an integrated view, to provide an overall culture. Some people suggested that the arts alone might do it. Sad to say, the closest substitute has been nationalism.

Eagleton, Terry; Culture and the Death of God

Taylor, Charles; A Secular Age

While correct in assessment, I supose you and I can agree that answering all the questions in the world with the same answer is the quickest road to disaster.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
07-02-2018, 09:07 AM
Christianity has succeeded in uniting people in the endeavor of spreading the reign of a small segment of humanity upon the larger populace.
It has successfully eliminated moral objections by RE defining morality as being that which a fictitious character decrees as moral.
The definition being supplied by agents of the ruling group and generally taking the form of actions which benefit the interests of that group.
Everything from ancient genocides to defining every current enemy as "evil" and ungodly.

In this it has been wildly successful.
Any such endeavor undertaken by a secular concern which is likewise unencumbered by other irrational beliefs like nationalism would inevitably be limited in it's actions by ethical and moral concerns. It could never so efficiently bring the populace to heal and conquer the majority of the world.
Good? Bad? That's for suckers.

[Image: good-bad-im-the-guy-with-the-gun.jpg]

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
07-02-2018, 10:46 AM
If religion was so awesome, it wouldn't need passing on by indoctrination. If this stopped for a couple of generations, any particular religion would die.

Religion may have had a purpose in the past, but right now it's irrelevant. It's wishful thinking and fairy stories for adults at best, and downright harmful at worst. I threw the Christians a bone with the psychopath thing, because all responses he'd had from Christians failed to even answer the question he set.

[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
07-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Congrats Rob

My only hope is that I won't be featured in a video of someone talking to my neighbors and them saying
"He was always so quiet and kept to himself."

And that's why I make a lot of noise.

Anyway, fantastic idea. I wouldn't have thought about psychopaths in that light. Great insight.

I would probably also say that a religion can also create gullibility in a great number of people and then control their behavior in such a way that secular means would find difficult to accomplish.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
07-02-2018, 11:19 AM
(07-02-2018 11:09 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Congrats Rob

My only hope is that I won't be featured in a video of someone talking to my neighbors and them saying
"He was always so quiet and kept to himself."

And that's why I make a lot of noise.

Anyway, fantastic idea. I wouldn't have thought about psychopaths in that light. Great insight.

I would probably also say that a religion can also create gullibility in a great number of people and then control their behavior in such a way that secular means would find difficult to accomplish.

Thanks very much Big Grin Unfortunately it seems many people who have commented on his video didn't watch my full video first and got the wrong impression (that I was saying religion is a good thing, or the only way to accomodate pscyhos).