I got featured in a Godless Cranium video!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2018, 11:25 AM
RE: I got featured in a Godless Cranium video!
(07-02-2018 08:51 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(07-02-2018 05:24 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  Congratulations on being featured in the video.

The answer to the question, though, is simple.

Christianity, for centuries, provided people with an integrated view of cosmology, history, morality, the arts, and the individual in culture. Nothing but religion has done this, ever.

When Christianity started to lose steam in Europe, people began to wonder might serve to provide such an integrated view, to provide an overall culture. Some people suggested that the arts alone might do it. Sad to say, the closest substitute has been nationalism.

Eagleton, Terry; Culture and the Death of God

Taylor, Charles; A Secular Age

While correct in assessment, I supose you and I can agree that answering all the questions in the world with the same answer is the quickest road to disaster.

Lol, right, I have no idea what he's talking about here.

Cosmology: God created everything? Not very good.

History: Extremely inaccurate protrayals, when not being just completely made up.

Morality: The bible was maybe progressive for 2000 years ago, but is now a hideous dumpster fire. You have to cherry pick just a few things and pretend that's what Christianity is all about, or else it's horrific.

Arts: Huh? Christian pictures and music? I don't understand this at all.

The individual in the culture: Not much individuality in being told what to think and how to behave by authorities.

Religion is the only thing that tries to answer every question, while not caring about accuracy, and tells people how to live their lives. I don't consider this an achievement.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
07-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Quote:It's about what Christianity can achieve that can't be done in secular ways.

A natural solution to depression.
If you have serious issues with anxiety, unfulfilled narcissistic cravings, loneliness, etc. the magic god fantasy could probably work wonders on your mood.

The one thing secular people can't tell you is that all creation is all about you, that there is a special destiny - just for you - and that you are so loved by sky daddy he crucified himself to prove how much he loves you (which is not creepy at all), that you are immortal and can pretty much control the universe if you pray really, really, really hard.

I don't recommend it but not every human born has what it takes to shoulder the burden of life, and they need to escape the unflattering reality of secular humanists.

P.S. Congrats.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
Find all posts by this user
07-02-2018, 03:44 PM
(07-02-2018 02:16 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  

From the video: "...while in jail he [David] met a man named Randy who was a devout Christian..."

Seems like an odd juxtaposition, a devout Christian in jail. Consider

No gods necessary.
[+] 1 user Likes brunumb's post
07-02-2018, 04:07 PM
(07-02-2018 06:48 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  An integrated view of mostly made-up stories, and disgusting morality based on a vile book. It prevailed for so long because of a combination of scientific ignorance and violence/oppression. It's still doing so in much of the world, along with Islam.

There's no reason one particular set of dogma has to cover absolutely everything, nor do people need to be told what to do and think. Why is that desirable? In England and much of Europe, religion is pretty much irrelevant yet we're doing just fine.

It is sobering to realize that for many centuries in Europe, the majority of people were illiterate and had no access to books anyway. In the Elizabethan age, a number of English religious authorities stated that in much of rural England, the populace knew almost nothing about Christianity, and were mired in ignorance and superstition. And that the rural priests were not much better. And it probably wasn't much better in the rest of Europe. People got their understanding about religion from a few passion plays. Basic Christian mythology.

β€œIt is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
07-02-2018, 06:08 PM
(07-02-2018 03:44 PM)brunumb Wrote:  
(07-02-2018 02:16 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  

From the video: "...while in jail he [David] met a man named Randy who was a devout Christian..."

Seems like an odd juxtaposition, a devout Christian in jail. Consider

Incarceration statistics suggest otherwise.

I am an antipistevist. That's like an antipastovist, only with epistemic responsibility instead of bruschetta.
08-02-2018, 03:21 AM
(07-02-2018 05:24 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  Christianity, for centuries, provided people with an integrated view of cosmology, history, morality, the arts, and the individual in culture. Nothing but religion has done this, ever.
By murdering everyone who could have. Ya fuckin' missed a part there boy-o.

Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
08-02-2018, 03:41 AM
I think historically religion was in fact a force for good. There's a book, Centuries of Change, which I read a couple of months ago that goes into detail. The author restricts himself to European history and hence in his book when he deals with religion it's the church, and mostly the Catholic church. But he talks of how the Church toned down the violence in society, the monks became an early diplomatic service, education and learning were preserved and disseminated over all Europe etc.

They really did do a lot of good things. In fact in the book Ian Mortimer (who is an atheist) concludes that the church is the greatest agent of change in society over the past thousand years, and I can't disagree. Which is not to say that nowadays they're a force for good. I think in the here and now, they're an impediment to progress. We have better ways of doing things now than we did then. Communication is easy, writing is widespread, learning is also widespread. Those earlier church guys were the best and brightest of their time - because an academic career was mostly made possible within a church context. Nowadays the best and brightest go work for big corporates making bajillions and crashing stock markets Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-02-2018, 04:04 AM
Religion, the theory of EVERYTHING! Because we know it all!

Don't have a moral barometer? GAWD!

Not sure how science and other cool, shiny stuff works? GAWD!

Feel like touching kids but are aware that doing this is insanely harmful to individuals and society but still want to get away with being a pedophile because hey, holes is holes...? GAAAAWWWD.

Religion is a cure all for dumb people.

Anyway, decent response there Rob I enjoyed watching. Gonna check out some of your other vids too! I'll be honest I didn't even watch his reply to your reply because I'm really tired right now, should be sleeping and simply have a very low tolerance for intellectually dishonest bullshit at the moment. Will finish watching later. Congrats.
[+] 2 users Like RBMG's post
08-02-2018, 04:15 AM
(08-02-2018 03:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Those earlier church guys were the best and brightest of their time - because an academic career was mostly made possible within a church context. Nowadays the best and brightest go work for big corporates making bajillions and crashing stock markets Dodgy

Yes, I think this is important.

Sometimes people seem to think that if we knock down the irrationality of religion, there will be a bright shiny rational world waiting right behind it. But evidence seems to show that when religious values go, they are just as likely to be replaced by Wall Street values, or militaristic values, or nationalist values.

I'm not saying we should go back to the past, or that the church has been the best of all possible worlds. But there's no reason to think that life will be all that much better with religion gone from the scene.
08-02-2018, 04:21 AM
(08-02-2018 04:15 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 03:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Those earlier church guys were the best and brightest of their time - because an academic career was mostly made possible within a church context. Nowadays the best and brightest go work for big corporates making bajillions and crashing stock markets Dodgy

Yes, I think this is important.

Sometimes people seem to think that if we knock down the irrationality of religion, there will be a bright shiny rational world waiting right behind it. But evidence seems to show that when religious values go, they are just as likely to be replaced by Wall Street values, or militaristic values, or nationalist values.

I'm not saying we should go back to the past, or that the church has been the best of all possible worlds. But there's no reason to think that life will be all that much better with religion gone from the scene.

Religion will never go. It's too goddamn useful as a tool of social control.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.