I got fired today.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2012, 10:38 AM
RE: I got fired today.
Sounds to me like a Right to work state. Sorry for your job loss. Before they passed the stupid right to work laws you could have had grounds to fight this loss. I know Ohio has the Right to Work law and it gives a company freedom to fire without just cause. If you fight it you will waste all your money. It's another way to break the back of unions. It also makes it harder to start a union too. Best of luck finding new employment. You may find a better job anyway.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
20-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Not good news. On the bright side, you will definitely find a better one! Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
20-05-2012, 09:41 PM
A Jewish matriarch tried to rid the place of me in one position by trying to convince everyone I was a bit crazy.

At that stage I had a bit of a problem with benzos. I had private medical cover, so put myself into de-tox care for five weeks. It was a pretty desperate act but it worked.

The organization later underwent massive re vamping and change of location and I managed to procure a small package.

Good luck.
20-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Getting fired was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

I worked 10 1/2 years at a job that gave me little satisfaction, even though I had become vice president of the company. I should have left after 3 or 4 years, but inertia and fear of the unknown kept me there. Then the company went Chapter 11 (through no fault of my own). The boss downsized big-time, retaining only a minimal crew. I thought for sure I'd be among the ones he wanted to stay . . . but no. I was suddenly out on the street. I floundered for a while but eventually found a great job in a totally different area, one I really enjoyed and that fit me so much better than the previous one.

If I hadn't had that boot in the rear, I might still be with my old boss. The thought makes me shudder.

I hope you'll have the same experience, GT.

Hang in there, follow Kim's excellent advice, and keep your chin up.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
21-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Sorry to hear about the job loss GT... What's worse, is the fact that they hire people to come in and clean house, because management doesn't have the balls to do it themselves. I believe they lost a lot when they let you and your supervisor go... What's more is I wish I had a company where I could bring you on.

Keep us informed on your findings and if you need a reference, drop me a line.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
21-05-2012, 08:15 AM
(20-05-2012 10:57 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Getting fired was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

I worked 10 1/2 years at a job that gave me little satisfaction, even though I had become vice president of the company. I should have left after 3 or 4 years, but inertia and fear of the unknown kept me there. Then the company went Chapter 11 (through no fault of my own). The boss downsized big-time, retaining only a minimal crew. I thought for sure I'd be among the ones he wanted to stay . . . but no. I was suddenly out on the street. I floundered for a while but eventually found a great job in a totally different area, one I really enjoyed and that fit me so much better than the previous one.

If I hadn't had that boot in the rear, I might still be with my old boss. The thought makes me shudder.

I hope you'll have the same experience, GT.

Hang in there, follow Kim's excellent advice, and keep your chin up.
Interesting, I'm having a similar experience. I'm flat out miserable in my job and I've been trying to find something else. It's slow going though. I thought I had something and had gone though a whole bunch of interviews but then I did not get the job. Meanwhile, I just continue to be unhappy. We are currently doing buy-outs and I've been considering putting my hand up, taking a package, and leaving. I'd get between 5 - 6 months pay and money for benefits for a year and then I'd be on my own. It's a very tempting offer.

The problem is that I'm not just putting myself at risk. I have a wife and two kids and I'm the primary breadwinner. I've a pretty senior position in a large, global, corporation and I do pretty well financially. I can't afford to just walk away and go make $10/hour while I figure out what I want to do when I grow up. If it was just me, or even just my wife and I, I could completely change my life and just leave. But, it's not just me. And it's not just my wife and I. We have two kids who depend on us and I can't ask them to make a sacrifice I can't explain other than to say I'm running headlong into a midlife crises.

Doesn't change the fact that my job sucks ass, though. On the plus side, I'm starting not to care as much and cutting back my hours a lot. Didn't even fire up the blackberry all weekend, which, for me, is huge.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
21-05-2012, 07:00 PM
These reminds me the days when I worked in China as a project manager. I lived in factory dorm with bosses & work 6 days / week, and usually 12hrs/day. As a project manager I even had to check e-mail & reply on holidays. Not to mention those "business social" (which is my hatest part) after office hour.

But there is one advantage if you work in Asia countries: nobody would care if you believe in any gods or not. (ofc, except Christians)

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
22-05-2012, 01:53 AM
I dealt with the same thing at my last job. I had not been following the scripts they wanted us to follow on sales calls and new management was not happy. The thing is my sales numbers were some of the best in our district. Whatever I was doing worked, obviously. I injured my back before they could fire me though.

Sorry to hear you were fired. Glad you have some job offers already. Good luck.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user