I got owned guiseee :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 08:50 AM
I got owned guiseee :(
In an arguement, I used the "none of the biblewriters actually knew Jesus" arguement.

Then comes the very sly answer to it "Duhhh! Jesus returned back from death and they met him"... Or something like that...

If Jesus came back from death, wouldn't that arguement work? That they actually met Jesus?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Typho2k's post
26-08-2015, 08:54 AM
RE: I got owned guiseee :(
(26-08-2015 08:50 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  In an arguement, I used the "none of the biblewriters actually knew Jesus" arguement.

Then comes the very sly answer to it "Duhhh! Jesus returned back from death and they met him"... Or something like that...

If Jesus came back from death, wouldn't that arguement work? That they actually met Jesus?

Only if you accept circular reasoning.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
26-08-2015, 08:54 AM
(26-08-2015 08:50 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  In an arguement, I used the "none of the biblewriters actually knew Jesus" arguement.

No.

"Can you historically prove Jesus came back from the dead without using the Bible?"

*crickets*

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? I am an atheist because it is the natural state of being we are all born into.
26-08-2015, 08:55 AM
(26-08-2015 08:50 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  If Jesus came back from death, wouldn't that arguement work?

[Image: cy6FT69.gif]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-08-2015, 08:56 AM

Disregarding anything else they first have to prove that Jesus - for the sake of argument he existed - indeed returned back from the death. Bible saying so does not count as a proof.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-08-2015, 08:56 AM

No. If he came back and they met him, "they" would be the Apostles. But they were almost certainly not the Gospel writers. The Gospels were written many years later, probably by people who never met Jesus, before or after his death and supposed resurrection. So the argument really has nothing to do with whether or not he came back from the dead.
26-08-2015, 09:12 AM
People also claim to have seen Elvis after he died. There are also other religions who have dying and rising gods that people have claimed to see.

Other possible reasons:

Ehrman also talks about the possibility of Jesus having a twin.

People in the Bible would speak of visions and dreams and consider them reality. Many have had the experience of a loved one passing on--only to dream or think about them later.

If there were no eyewitnesses--we are taking what the Gospel writers are saying at face value when they either could have made everything up or were fabricating on local folktales. Look at urban legends we have nowadays and how the stories grow and change over time as people add to them.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-08-2015, 09:50 AM

If all four gospel writers met him after he came back from the dead and got the word from the horse's mouth, how come the gospels are all so different?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
26-08-2015, 10:49 AM

Nonsense.

No one who ever wrote of jesus, met the earthly jesus. The latest apologetic game of "he reappeared before 500 witnesses, the disciples, James, and then Paul, thus there ARE witnesses to jesus" is BS. There is no corroboration for that by any of these "witnesses", and paul had motive to lie. Thus it is true that no one who wrote of jesus met him. I don't believe in magic, ghosts and transcendental beings who present themselves after they die. Poppycock. I can claim I met Ghengis Khan last week as he appeared before me and we had a long indepth discussion about the world's energy problem. My assertion of that is not evidence.

Surprisingly the lowest level of evidence is eyewitness testimony anyway, even in the criminal court system. People see what they want to see, people intentionally lie, people have agendas, people will confess to things they didn't do, people will die for their beliefs...whether they are true or not, people will swear they saw bigfoot, loch ness monster, UFOs....

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
26-08-2015, 10:52 AM
(26-08-2015 08:50 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  If Jesus came back from death, wouldn't that arguement work? That they actually met Jesus?

Umm, I think I found the problem.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 1 user Likes TheMrBillShow's post