I gotta ask about AA groups

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I gotta ask about AA groups
I'm confused. Is it a religion?

Views vary online. It's a yes or no question I asked, but I'm trying to figure out the why, in this case.

I personally had attended. Some family members are, which sucks. I wanted to know if I was, and found out I'm not. I have friends who go, and don't see them any differently from anyone else trying to make a change in their lives. But there are a few things nagging at me.

I can't help think despite the saying it's a spiritual program and not a religion to be inaccurate. That and how if someone is mistaken for being critical, they can run the risk of being ostracized. Yeah; I went through that.

I searched to see if there was another post on it elsewhere on the site. If the query wasn't filled properly and there is a thread like this, please link me to it. Oh, and please don't gouge my eyes out. I've done enough self-flagellation on my own time debating whether or not to post this, not wanting to offend anyone.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
RE: I gotta ask about AA groups
AA is simply not organized. Though I've never even heard of an AA group that is truly secu
At, the religion that seeps in varies greatly. My wife is an alcoholic, and she tried several different groups. In the end, not a single one would accept that she is an atheist. They tiptoe around the higher power stuff, saying it's not religous, but in the end, if you're not religous, you'll have to figure it out for yourself. Most of the groups my wife and I encountered (I tried al-anon a few times) just give you that condescending smile, and tell you that your higher power can be anything you want it to be. Then in the next sentence, they tell you that you need to surrender to that higher power. That it is what really has control. You have none. To me, that is some pretty religous sounding shit.

I could go on, but I'll spare you the details of how an AA group nearly destroyed my wife's journey to sobriety.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
(07-10-2012 05:47 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  AA is simply not organized. Though I've never even heard of an AA group that is truly secu
At, the religion that seeps in varies greatly. My wife is an alcoholic, and she tried several different groups. In the end, not a single one would accept that she is an atheist. They tiptoe around the higher power stuff, saying it's not religous, but in the end, if you're not religous, you'll have to figure it out for yourself. Most of the groups my wife and I encountered (I tried al-anon a few times) just give you that condescending smile, and tell you that your higher power can be anything you want it to be. Then in the next sentence, they tell you that you need to surrender to that higher power. That it is what really has control. You have none. To me, that is some pretty religous sounding shit.

I could go on, but I'll spare you the details of how an AA group nearly destroyed my wife's journey to sobriety.

0_0

I'm sorry that AA nearly destroyed your wife's journey to sobriety. *HUGS* (don't take it in the 12 step way, I just do that anyways)

Thanks for sparing the details. Though I know how bad things can get in there.

07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
It definitely uses the same techniques religion AKA cults AKA brainwashing uses. It is a program that tries to remap how one thinks to overcome addiction. In the science sense it works, but the thing it is not careful about is being subjective to other unhealthy lifestyles. I knew someone who became mega religious, she replaced her addiction with religion and it was just as overbearing and unhealthy, to the point she could not carry a conversation anymore. She was off in la-la land on a different sort of high. Still addicted to that high, just found another means.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
(07-10-2012 06:12 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  It definitely uses the same techniques religion AKA cults AKA brainwashing uses. It is a program that tries to remap how one thinks to overcome addiction. In the science sense it works, but the thing it is not careful about is being subjective to other unhealthy lifestyles. I knew someone who became mega religious, she replaced her addiction with religion and it was just as overbearing and unhealthy, to the point she could not carry a conversation anymore. She was off in la-la land on a different sort of high. Still addicted to that high, just found another means.

Oh man oh man oh man. Weeping

Done was I with the witnesses, to then surmount this group. I'm too afraid to join a fucking book club now. Sadcryface2

[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
07-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Just keep your circle wider than whatever group you look into. As long as you have trusted friends outside of the networks you're less likely to get stuck in something bad. Good friends will let you know when things start seeming strange.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
07-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I volunteered at a suicide prevention hotline when I was younger and we had to go to some AA meetings as part of the training. They seemed really hung up on everyone having a "higher" power but the groups we went too didn't make much of a play for a particular. I think your description "I can't help think despite the saying it's a spiritual program and not a religion to be inaccurate" is pretty accurate.

I had a friend that was an alcoholic and went to some meetings with her (to try and support her) they just seemed to trade alcohol for coffee, cigarettes and meetings. If the person wants to stop doing whatever it is they'll do it without some higher power or their 12 steps.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
07-10-2012, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 06:52 PM by aurora.)
(07-10-2012 05:47 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  AA is simply not organized. Though I've never even heard of an AA group that is truly secu

This is totally correct.

My brother is an alcoholic and has been several times to AA but unfortunately it all points to this 'higher power' crap. This is why my brother will not keep going. He cannot get over the 'god' bullshit.
As many unredeeming qualities my brother may have at least he's not a believer but AA sucks shit and will never be able to help him which is unfortunate as he needs help.

I'm sure there are enough atheists out there in Oz to warrant an AA without that crap? *thinking* hmmmmm

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
07-10-2012, 06:57 PM
al-anon is supposed to be that place, but I've yet to hear many great stories about the place.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
(07-10-2012 06:57 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  al-anon is supposed to be that place, but I've yet to hear many great stories about the place.

I went to Al-anon but it's the same shit Angry

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)