I gotta ask about AA groups

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 12:50 PM
RE: I gotta ask about AA groups
(08-10-2012 12:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 12:25 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Oh, sorry! I see where I screwed up. -_-!

The meetings held in my city are heavily influenced by Christianity. There are so many vocal woo believers, to the point of cross-talk. Literally. My first and last sharing at a meeting was because a woman started to pray aloud and cross herself when I said I had no religion. Prayers happen at the beginning middle and end. The droning - somehow needed to give the message better. The klaxons where screaming in my head by that point.

The cliques are there, too, with no age bias.

Maybe it's not always like that. Maybe there are some places in the world where it's not as bad. But this city certainly gave me the impression it's religious, and not a spiritual program.

Thanks for the clarification.

Where are you, someplace like London or Brantford, Ontario? Or maybe La Belle Province?

Ottawa - close! Are meetings like that over there, too?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
(08-10-2012 12:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  The fact is, AA is the answer For anyone reading this thread that thinks that alcohol or drugs are a problem for them, you're probably right. AA is not the only place for help, and possibly not a good place if you're an atheist. There are alternatives.

My wife's an alcoholic, her entire family is. She went through detox, twice. Once in a hospital, the second on her own. She says just because I don't experience the physical withdrawal symptoms of alcohol don't mean I'm not a fuckin' drunk. ... She's right.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-10-2012, 12:59 PM
(08-10-2012 12:50 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 12:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Thanks for the clarification.

Where are you, someplace like London or Brantford, Ontario? Or maybe La Belle Province?

Ottawa - close! Are meetings like that over there, too?

It occurred to me that what you described sounded like rural Ontario, so I guessed those cities or Quebec. Ottawa is a little of both.Yes

I just ignored the minor woo in AA, but I didn't take any bullshit in meetings for my atheism. That cross-talker would have gotten both barrels from me.

You are welcome to PM me if you want to talk further about this stuff.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2012, 01:23 PM
You are also welcome to pm or email me about it. Honestly though, I think Chas would be better. No one understands recovery like someone who's been through it. Someone who has been through addiction, and who is willing to offer their ear, is one of the most valuable resources you'll ever find. That even goes for people who are just concerned they MAY have a problem. (like Chas said, if you think it's a possibility, talk to someone)

If AA is what you have available to you, try to make it work. I say a lot of bad shit about AA because I have a pretty hefty amount of experience with it. That doesn't mean it can't work. It only means it didn't work in my experience. You may just find a group that works for you like it did for Chas.

BTW, for the record, anyone who has been through addiction and come out the other end deserves my respect in a way I can't even describe. Chas, the fact that you beat it, and that you are willing to help others through your experience blows my mind. Fucking awesome. Much respect brother.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
(08-10-2012 01:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Chas, the fact that you beat it, and that you are willing to help others through your experience blows my mind. Fucking awesome. Much respect brother.

Yeah, that shit don't just don't happen naturally.

08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
(08-10-2012 01:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  BTW, for the record, anyone who has been through addiction and come out the other end deserves my respect in a way I can't even describe. ...

Working on that even meaning shit, brother, first reads come in as no. Evil_monster

08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Well, I understand now what's going on. I didn't clearly write in the first post that I went to AA to see if I was an alcoholic and to understand more about my family, then found out I wasn't one. While I was there, though, AA came across being more religious than spiritual based. So I figured I'd ask here.

For my time in AA, I did the whole 90-in-90. Continued on until I got some sponsors and my story came out more clear, and when I met the sponsor that was right for me, talked to her about my doubts. She helped me understand that though I wasn't currently one, it was okay that took this path to get my answers. I furthered up with a doctor and gained more information on it, though pretty early on I knew I wasn't an alcoholic. I don't drink much because the back of my brain tells me 'there's a chance you could be a potential, considering a lot of the family is, and it could be genetic'. I'm overly cautious. But I'm also easily distracted and sometimes things don't come clearly in my posts.

Ugh, really sorry about that, folks. Thank you, though.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
(08-10-2012 02:09 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Well, I understand now what's going on. I didn't clearly write in the first post that I went to AA to see if I was an alcoholic and to understand more about my family, then found out I wasn't one. While I was there, though, AA came across being more religious than spiritual based. So I figured I'd ask here.

For my time in AA, I did the whole 90-in-90. Continued on until I got some sponsors and my story came out more clear, and when I met the sponsor that was right for me, talked to her about my doubts. She helped me understand that though I wasn't currently one, it was okay that took this path to get my answers. I furthered up with a doctor and gained more information on it, though pretty early on I knew I wasn't an alcoholic. I don't drink much because the back of my brain tells me 'there's a chance you could be a potential, considering a lot of the family is, and it could be genetic'. I'm overly cautious. But I'm also easily distracted and sometimes things don't come clearly in my posts.

Giryl'll fucking deal with it as necessary. ... That is all.

08-10-2012, 02:22 PM
(08-10-2012 01:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 01:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Chas, the fact that you beat it, and that you are willing to help others through your experience blows my mind. Fucking awesome. Much respect brother.

Yeah, that shit don't just don't happen naturally.

I gotta say, I wasn't feeling all that natural at the time. No

08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
(08-10-2012 02:09 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Well, I understand now what's going on. I didn't clearly write in the first post that I went to AA to see if I was an alcoholic and to understand more about my family, then found out I wasn't one. While I was there, though, AA came across being more religious than spiritual based. So I figured I'd ask here.

You have my admiration for taking those steps and toughing it out and asking the questions. And thinking it through. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post