I gotta ask about AA groups

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 02:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: I gotta ask about AA groups
(08-10-2012 02:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have my admiration for taking those steps and toughing it out and asking the questions. And thinking it through. Thumbsup

You're administratration means like dick. You're support on the other hand. ...

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
(08-10-2012 02:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 02:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have my admiration for taking those steps and toughing it out and asking the questions. And thinking it through. Thumbsup

You're admiration means like dick. You're support on the other hand. ...

Hey, I already offered my support. Geez, a little admiration is due, too.Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
(08-10-2012 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 02:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're admiration means like dick. You're support on the other hand. ...

Hey, I already offered my support. Geez, a little admiration is due, too.Yes

Yes, it is.

08-10-2012, 03:29 PM
(08-10-2012 01:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  You are also welcome to pm or email me about it. Honestly though, I think Chas would be better. No one understands recovery like someone who's been through it. Someone who has been through addiction, and who is willing to offer their ear, is one of the most valuable resources you'll ever find. That even goes for people who are just concerned they MAY have a problem. (like Chas said, if you think it's a possibility, talk to someone)

If AA is what you have available to you, try to make it work. I say a lot of bad shit about AA because I have a pretty hefty amount of experience with it. That doesn't mean it can't work. It only means it didn't work in my experience. You may just find a group that works for you like it did for Chas.

BTW, for the record, anyone who has been through addiction and come out the other end deserves my respect in a way I can't even describe. Chas, the fact that you beat it, and that you are willing to help others through your experience blows my mind. Fucking awesome. Much respect brother.

I blush. Blush
Seriously, I just decided that living was better than dying.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
08-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I really wish my brother would stick at trying to get sober. He has a 'woe is me, I'm a victim' thing happening and has a type of depression so he drinks and takes it out on everyone around him including his partner, children, friends and anyone else who gets in his way. He is a nasty, violent drunk and has hurt many people over the years. He also has had major health problems due to his alcoholism.
I've basically given up trying to help as his partner is an 'enabler' and doesn't help at all so I just stay away. He is 'woe is me', my sister doesn't want to see me. Well, he can just get over it cos I am! Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
08-10-2012, 07:07 PM
D'awww! Blush Thank you Chas! You've definitely helped me see more clearly on the matter. I appreciates! Smile

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
09-10-2012, 10:41 PM
(08-10-2012 04:24 PM)aurora Wrote:  I really wish my brother would stick at trying to get sober. He has a 'woe is me, I'm a victim' thing happening and has a type of depression so he drinks and takes it out on everyone around him including his partner, children, friends and anyone else who gets in his way. He is a nasty, violent drunk and has hurt many people over the years. He also has had major health problems due to his alcoholism.
I've basically given up trying to help as his partner is an 'enabler' and doesn't help at all so I just stay away. He is 'woe is me', my sister doesn't want to see me. Well, he can just get over it cos I am! Dodgy

I can't relate, aurora. I'm a passive, inoffensive drunk. Never hurt anyone, and ManlyGirl regulates my consumption. It doesn't interfere with my job, ManlyGirl makes sure of that. My liver enzymes are checked quarterly and always come in fine. No health problems. Why should I give it up? I enjoy it.

09-10-2012, 10:45 PM
(09-10-2012 10:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 04:24 PM)aurora Wrote:  I really wish my brother would stick at trying to get sober. He has a 'woe is me, I'm a victim' thing happening and has a type of depression so he drinks and takes it out on everyone around him including his partner, children, friends and anyone else who gets in his way. He is a nasty, violent drunk and has hurt many people over the years. He also has had major health problems due to his alcoholism.

I can't relate, aurora. I'm a passive, inoffensive drunk. Never hurt anyone, and ManlyGirl regulates my consumption. It doesn't interfere with my job, ManlyGirl makes sure of that. My liver enzymes are checked quarterly and always come in fine. No health problems. Why should I give it up? I enjoy it.

That's awesome. I wish my brother was like that then it wouldn't be a problem.
I like placid, funny drunks Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
10-10-2012, 05:40 AM
I can empathize with how hopeless it must be to almost *require* a surrender to a "higher power" in order to receive help.

Being the arrogant, confident and condescending bastard that I am, I'm tempted to say "Be your OWN help. Don't be a pussy who needs to lean on other people to get over your problems", but as the son of an alcoholic, I also realize that such people don't possess the mentality needed to overcome things on their own. That's not a bad thing in itself, mind you, but it's certainly detrimental if the AA bastards need you to "surrender to Gawd" in order to overcome your demons.

Kind of a shitty spot for them to put people in.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
(10-10-2012 05:40 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I can empathize with how hopeless it must be to almost *require* a surrender to a "higher power" in order to receive help.

Being the arrogant, confident and condescending bastard that I am, I'm tempted to say "Be your OWN help. Don't be a pussy who needs to lean on other people to get over your problems", but as the son of an alcoholic, I also realize that such people don't possess the mentality needed to overcome things on their own. That's not a bad thing in itself, mind you, but it's certainly detrimental if the AA bastards need you to "surrender to Gawd" in order to overcome your demons.

Kind of a shitty spot for them to put people in.

It shares a lot with cognitive behavioral therapy, but I agree with the need to empower ones self rather than giving it up to something else.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]