I gotta ask about AA groups

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2012, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2012 07:54 PM by Chas.)
RE: I gotta ask about AA groups
(10-10-2012 12:25 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(10-10-2012 05:40 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I can empathize with how hopeless it must be to almost *require* a surrender to a "higher power" in order to receive help.

Being the arrogant, confident and condescending bastard that I am, I'm tempted to say "Be your OWN help. Don't be a pussy who needs to lean on other people to get over your problems", but as the son of an alcoholic, I also realize that such people don't possess the mentality needed to overcome things on their own. That's not a bad thing in itself, mind you, but it's certainly detrimental if the AA bastards need you to "surrender to Gawd" in order to overcome your demons.

Kind of a shitty spot for them to put people in.

It shares a lot with cognitive behavioral therapy, but I agree with the need to empower ones self rather than giving it up to something else.

In enlightened AA groups, the idea of surrender is more subtle than that.
It is a given that one's best thinking got one here (addiction), that self-control failed, that addiction 'won'.

So, admit defeat, ask those who are successful for help, and don't fucking drink.
The rest of the steps are essentially cognitive therapy, some lessons in humility, and dealing with guilt. It ain't rocket science.

There are good groups and bad groups, healthy groups and toxic groups, active groups and passive groups; the key is to find good, smart, helpful people.

I am neither promoting nor defending AA or other 12-step programs; they work for some and don't work for some. The evidence is that they have at least part of it right.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
23-11-2012, 06:06 PM
These may help: I just wanted to say there are resources for those suffering that don't involve a god. This is a subject near and dear to me personally.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro...atheist-aa

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro...-agnostics

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience,
strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem
and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership
is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership;
we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with
any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to
engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary
purpose is to stay sober
and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

agnosticrecovery.com is my own blog but the forums are good. There's others, but those are the first to come to mind.
Find all posts by this user
27-11-2012, 05:40 AM
Here, in Croatia, we have little AA groups, because everyone drinks and considers that normal, so we do not have alcoholics here. Yeah right.

But what we have are junkies, drug addicts, so we have quite a few drug rehab places. ALL those places are catholic based. All of those places are run by either priest or a nun and everyone must pray to Jesus for help, trust in Him, love and praise God for giving them all this new life, wear t-shirts with signs about God... I have seen a few people that came from rehab, they were completely brainwashed personas, who did not get rid of their addictions, but rather they just exchanged the addiction to heroin with addiction to God and Church. Now, suddenly they will start preaching about God to people who smoke cigarettes.

Religious AA or drug rehab is bullshit. Those people need professional help, from doctors and psychologist. Religion and a priest (nuns) can help, but they must not be the only thing to use in their rehab. It just makes another kind of addict.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post