I guess I'm finally admitting Im an atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 10:37 PM
I guess I'm finally admitting Im an atheist.
Hello, found this place after searching around online for other people who no longer believe or who have never believed. Glad I found it.

I guess I've never really been able to fully admit to being an atheist because for a long time I did believe intermittently. Then I woke up one day.

My story of finally not believing isn't the usual I grew up religious story. Honestly, neither of my parents were very religious, we never really attended church. I got to know religion from friends and went to church with them a few times. I had what I thought were ghostly experiences (which is what honestly made me keep believing for a long time, laugh if you want but it's the truth).

When I started thinking more about these "ghostly" experiences, I realized they had logical explanations and that I was just scaring myself crazy. Thankfully, I have gotten to a good point in my life where I know that there are no such things. But, the reality is that many people out there aren't so lucky.

I never have really realized that I was an atheist until I found out about the word some years ago, but it's hard to tell people ya know. There's always that person who's quick to tell me about the last days and the Bible.

I wish I could make that up. Just today I was at the store with my daughter and this lady behind us who we didn't know at all asked if my daughters school was out and she stated no she was homeschooled. The lady's goes a lot of people are doing that. I state I homeschool her because it seems like schools these are getting worse. She then goes on to tell me it's because it's the last days and that it says so in the Bible and that if I have a relationship with Jesus Christ. OK..... Um it was very hard to not roll my eyes at this point.

So, I decided to come out today after this experience.

Thanks for reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like newwynter's post
29-11-2016, 11:01 PM
RE: I guess I'm finally admitting Im an atheist.
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
29-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Happy for you! Welcome!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2016, 11:05 PM
(29-11-2016 10:37 PM)newwynter Wrote:  Hello, found this place after searching around online for other people who no longer believe or who have never believed. Glad I found it. I guess I've never really been able to fully admit to being an atheist because for a long time I did believe intermittently. Then I woke up one day. My story of finally not believing isn't the usual I grew up religious story. Honestly, neither of my parents were very religious, we never really attended church. I got to know religion from friends and went to church with them a few times. I had what I thought were ghostly experiences (which is what honestly what made me keep believing for a long time, laugh if you want but it's the truth). When I started thinking more about these "ghostly" experiences, I realized they had logical explanations and that I was just scaring myself crazy. Thankfully, I have gotten to a good point in my life where I know that there are no such things. But, the reality is that many people out there aren't so lucky. I never have really realized that I was an atheist until I found out about the word some years ago, but it's hard to tell people ya know. There's always that person who's quick to tell me about the last days and the Bible. I wish I could make that up. Just today I was at the store with my daughter and this lady behind us who we didn't know at all asked if my daughters school was out and she stated no she was homeschooled. The lady's goes a lot of people are doing that. I state I homeschool her because it seems like schools these are getting worse. She then goes on to tell me it's because it's the last days and that it says so in the Bible and that if I have a relationship with Jesus Christ. OK..... Um it was very hard to not roll my eyes at this point. So, I decided to come out today after this experience. Thanks for reading.

Hello, welcome to TTA.
My story is a little like yours in that my parents weren't religious, and I only went to church a few times with friends out of curiosity mostly.
I never really thought about religion much after that until I saw the real harm it can cause people.
Again welcome aboard, take a look around, and see how you like it here.
Smile
29-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Hello! Big Grin

Hug
30-11-2016, 05:56 AM
"Guys. Is this guy Newt Gingrich?" Consider

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Welcome!
30-11-2016, 10:47 AM
(29-11-2016 10:37 PM)newwynter Wrote:  Hello, found this place after searching around online for other people who no longer believe or who have never believed. Glad I found it.

I guess I've never really been able to fully admit to being an atheist because for a long time I did believe intermittently. Then I woke up one day.

My story of finally not believing isn't the usual I grew up religious story. Honestly, neither of my parents were very religious, we never really attended church. I got to know religion from friends and went to church with them a few times. I had what I thought were ghostly experiences (which is what honestly made me keep believing for a long time, laugh if you want but it's the truth).

When I started thinking more about these "ghostly" experiences, I realized they had logical explanations and that I was just scaring myself crazy. Thankfully, I have gotten to a good point in my life where I know that there are no such things. But, the reality is that many people out there aren't so lucky.

I never have really realized that I was an atheist until I found out about the word some years ago, but it's hard to tell people ya know. There's always that person who's quick to tell me about the last days and the Bible.

I wish I could make that up. Just today I was at the store with my daughter and this lady behind us who we didn't know at all asked if my daughters school was out and she stated no she was homeschooled. The lady's goes a lot of people are doing that. I state I homeschool her because it seems like schools these are getting worse. She then goes on to tell me it's because it's the last days and that it says so in the Bible and that if I have a relationship with Jesus Christ. OK..... Um it was very hard to not roll my eyes at this point.

So, I decided to come out today after this experience.

Thanks for reading.

That is very similar to my own story. Welcome! Thumbsup

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-11-2016, 11:20 AM
You should have rolled your eyes. People like that are not normal and should not think their silliness is acceptable.

Welcome into the light.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
30-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcomes! @minimalist yes I should have. I try to be nice to people but like you said about not tolerating their silliness, its going to come to a point that next time this happens to me I'm going to groan really loud and say oh this again! Lol. Then I will give them the biggest eyeroll ever. Seriously.