I had a debate in Eng comp today!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 09:02 PM
I had a debate in Eng comp today!
We are now on our section of English Composition of how to write an argumentation paper. The teacher broke us up into teams and gave us a topic after explaining the basics of an argumentation paper. Gave us topics on paper to each team and had us argue with the other side as a debate.

...my heart was pounding and I was terrified to debate someone in public. I am not a good orator ( or so I...thought? ). I had no idea what my topic was going to be. Then the teacher gave me something that we both talked about at the beginning of class.

..She gave me the mother fucking Jesus Christ,praise the lord Allah, God Level, fucking, MEGA MOTHER LOAD shit......Laugh out load Of all topics!

The one and only other topic I know more about then what we all do here on these forums, more than video games, more then cooking or being lazy even...

Pro...Transhumanism.

Bowing

I got one girl on my team who rejected the idea of prolonging human life and trans-humanism in general, so all she did was look at her Iphone the whole time.

The other team had 5 people and we had 3, The other female in our group started us off with simple comments about people getting help they need from the kinds of technology. But, the moment I waved at her to let me take the lead.

GaspShocking ...I seriously have no idea what happened. It was like a completely different person took over. Some guy speaking with my voice, moving my body around...and whoever this man was...completely ANNIHILATED all 5 of them. They put up some points and I even called out their Strawman fallacy to them that they made. I even did it in a VERY direct and confronting manner. Legs crossed. Finger pointed and wagging at them. "That is a strawman fallacy, you are misrepresenting what I said and I will not tolerate that as that is now what I said!" Even the teacher was impressed that I knew something about that lol. I just wish I had pointed out the Appeal from Nature fallacy the guy in front of me did when he mentioned it's not natural so its wrong.

About half way through the debate and especially when I was talking. It was quite sad. All five of them had their heads looking down all sad and their eyes trying not to really look at me. I had a foot resting on one knee and making gestures with my hands back and forth while giving my examples. I even pointed out their largest misunderstanding that they mentioned of earth being over populated. The whole earths population could fit comfortably inside of texas or Alaska even if you wanted even more space. We live in a age of abundance and not want, it is just due to certain circumstances that people still go without.

Also, that by the time we can enhance human life span far enough to where it is extended far enough to make over population a future problem, we will be colonizing space and mars by that point. Heck, ( I should had mentioned this) maybe even Titan.

The whole class agreed that I annihilated them all myself lol. Even my team member on the phone at the last minute tried to offer the other side help by insisting that only the rich and powerful can afford the technology of the future and I pointed out back that the most powerful transistors, computer chips and data storage of today. Will cost a penny in the next 20 years or so. ( thank you michio kaku lol )

The thing is, I never done this before and it felt...quite incredible. Liberating even.

I almost feel like taking classes later on for public speaking.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Shadow Fox's post
13-10-2014, 09:11 PM
RE: I had a debate in Eng comp today!
You posted this twice so I deleted the other post/thread and kept the one with a "like"

Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-10-2014, 09:14 PM
(13-10-2014 09:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You posted this twice so I deleted the other post/thread and kept the one with a "like"

really? I am not sure how that could had happened.

13-10-2014, 09:24 PM
(13-10-2014 09:14 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 09:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You posted this twice so I deleted the other post/thread and kept the one with a "like"

It happens sometimes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-10-2014, 09:31 PM
(13-10-2014 09:14 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

I once liked something twice. Shit happens I guess. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-10-2014, 09:35 PM
(13-10-2014 09:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 09:14 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  really? I am not sure how that could had happened.

I once liked something twice. Shit happens I guess. Smile

OK, maybe I clicked on submit or something twice or something? I will try to be careful in case it was my fault somehow.