I had a theological debate with myself tonight.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2012, 03:27 PM
RE: I had a theological debate with myself tonight.
(25-09-2012 03:04 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 12:43 PM)Egor Wrote:  Atheism is a religion. If it wasn't, you'd just not believe in God and go about the business of living your life.

I'm trying to get this straight. Because some atheists sometimes like coming to atheist forums and debating and discussing the existence of gods, we are religious?

Please correct me if I'm not understanding you.

Does that mean that skeptics that go to occult forums to debate the occult are really occultists?

What his argument boils down to is that we atheists tend to be dogmatic in our denial of the existence of that which cannot be observed. That dogma is part of why he calls atheism a religion.

But, he also argues that the physical results or effects of a soul can be observed- such as premonitions, the unexplained connection between the brain and the mind, and the apparent decision-making or learning ability of paramecium despite lacking a nervous system or any kind of a brain. He suggests that if the scientific were not so dogmatic that these effects could lead to greater understanding.

I am skeptical of all of that, personally, and my opinion is that the existence of a deistic god or souls or some such appears to be irrelevant. If such a god exists it almost certainly is not the God worshiped by theists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
25-09-2012, 03:36 PM
(25-09-2012 12:43 PM)Egor Wrote:  Atheism is a religion. If it wasn't, you'd just not believe in God and go about the business of living your life.

So, this sounds like you will you stop saying Atheism is a religion once the entire world stops believing in gods. When that happens, there will no longer be a reason to discuss the existence of god because no one is arguing that gods exist.

That being the case, let's just cut to the quick now and agree that it's not really a religion, by any definition of the word.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-09-2012, 05:24 PM
(25-09-2012 03:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

So, this sounds like you will you stop saying Atheism is a religion once the entire world stops believing in gods. When that happens, there will no longer be a reason to discuss the existence of god because no one is arguing that gods exist.

That being the case, let's just cut to the quick now and agree that it's not really a religion, by any definition of the word.

Egor, when you aren't trying to play around with people's minds, you obviously enjoy playing around with semantics........
26-09-2012, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 07:31 AM by Logica Humano.)
I am not a criminal; therefore, I am a criminal.

Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
26-09-2012, 11:45 AM

By religion, I mean you act like religious people act. You think like religious people think. You are not areligious you are simply atheistic. And you are only atheistic because "SCIENCE" isn't considered a god, but you treat science as if it were a god, so you are like religious people in that respect.
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2012, 11:50 AM
So basically because we have an opinion and adhere to a system of belief, even if it's not the same system of belief for all of us, that means we're a religion.

Ok

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
26-09-2012, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 12:24 PM by Logica Humano.)
(26-09-2012 11:45 AM)Egor Wrote:  By religion, I mean you act like religious people act. You think like religious people think. You are not areligious you are simply atheistic. And you are only atheistic because "SCIENCE" isn't considered a god, but you treat science as if it were a god, so you are like religious people in that respect.

Atheism isn't a religion. Theism isn't a religion. One can believe in God and not be religious, this is called Deism.

You will find that one can be an atheist and be a Buddhist. One can be an atheist and be a LaVey Satanist. Atheism is simply a conviction about God, not about religion. How can one be a religiously atheistic if there are no dogmas, systems, and foundations other than the disbelief in a deity? As I asked, can you explain to me how apatheism, by your logic, is a religion?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
26-09-2012, 12:41 PM
(26-09-2012 11:45 AM)Egor Wrote:  By religion, I mean you act like religious people act. You think like religious people think. You are not areligious you are simply atheistic. And you are only atheistic because "SCIENCE" isn't considered a god, but you treat science as if it were a god, so you are like religious people in that respect.

The important thing is that you've found a way to be superior to both atheists and theists.

[Image: atheists.png]
[+] 5 users Like kineo's post
26-09-2012, 12:57 PM

You mean... I mean, you are mean.
Its enough!

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
26-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I had a theological debate with myself tonight.

In other words, we act like people. Leave the word religion out as it does not apply to human behavior.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post