I had a theological debate with myself tonight.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 02:47 PM
RE: I had a theological debate with myself tonight.
(26-09-2012 02:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm looking at next fall...I need my mom to die so I can afford the tuition. Evil_monster

I'm a Teamster.
I might know some guys.
Jussayin'. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-09-2012, 04:04 PM
(19-09-2012 11:02 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  If souls exist as defined then they interact with the human mind in some way.

The human mind is demonstrably governed by physical processes in the brain.

If the soul interacts with the brain in any meaningful way, then regardless of its supernatural nature it must have some type of physical affect on those physical processes.

Science is currently able to or will in the future be able to measure those affects.

Those affects have not yet been observed.

Therefore until those affects are demonstrated, the null hypothesis (there are no souls) is preferred.

So, you're basically asking or saying that since the soul cannot be shown to interact with the mind physically then it cannot exist because if it must be physical to interact physically?

I don't know if I fully understand what you're trying to convey.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
26-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm saying that to have an affect on the physical world, anything, even a supernatural "thing", must result in a physical effect.

The mind is based in the brain. Stet? Since the brain's actions are demonstrably ruled by physical processes--look it up, that's a fact--then if a soul influences the mind then it must physically influence the brain. Whether that's on the level of movement of ions, charge density, neuronal firing rate, quantum probabilities, whatever.

Our ability to measure things in the physical world is constantly increasing. We are each year able to measure more aspects of the physical world with more accuracy and resolution and are able to correlate that data in ever more complex ways.

We have not yet measured anything that indicates a supernatural force is interacting with the human brain.

Therefore, if you base your worldview upon Physical Evidence and Reasoned Logic, then it is unreasonable to propose the entity of a "soul" until the evidence of its interaction with the brain is discovered. You are, essentially, proposing an entity with no evidence.

If you want to challenge physical evidence and reasoned logic, that's an entirely different debate called the Philosophy of Science that I don't feel like arguing about at the moment.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
26-09-2012, 04:25 PM
(26-09-2012 04:21 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I'm saying that to have an affect on the physical world, anything, even a supernatural "thing", must result in a physical effect.

The mind is based in the brain. Stet? Since the brain's actions are demonstrably ruled by physical processes--look it up, that's a fact--then if a soul influences the mind then it must physically influence the brain. Whether that's on the level of movement of ions, charge density, neuronal firing rate, quantum probabilities, whatever.

Our ability to measure things in the physical world is constantly increasing. We are each year able to measure more aspects of the physical world with more accuracy and resolution and are able to correlate that data in ever more complex ways.

We have not yet measured anything that indicates a supernatural force is interacting with the human brain.

Therefore, if you base your worldview upon Physical Evidence and Reasoned Logic, then it is unreasonable to propose the entity of a "soul" until the evidence of its interaction with the brain is discovered. You are, essentially, proposing an entity with no evidence.

If you want to challenge physical evidence and reasoned logic, that's an entirely different debate called the Philosophy of Science that I don't feel like arguing about at the moment.

I don't have the knowledge to argue or comment on this.

Sorry : /

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-09-2012, 04:54 PM
That's commendable.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
26-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I had a theological debate with myself tonight.
(26-09-2012 02:47 PM)kim Wrote:  
(26-09-2012 02:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm looking at next fall...I need my mom to die so I can afford the tuition. Evil_monster

I'm a Teamster.
I might know some guys.
Jussayin'. Dodgy

Have you ever asked them where Hoffa is?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-09-2012, 04:58 PM
(26-09-2012 04:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-09-2012 02:47 PM)kim Wrote:  I'm a Teamster.
I might know some guys.
Jussayin'. Dodgy

Have you ever asked them where Hoffa is?

I think if you ask that question, you join him. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post