I had my first "Papa Bear" moment.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 12:56 PM
I had my first "Papa Bear" moment.
Most of you know how much I love my dog King.

Well, a few nights ago King was trying to sleep on the living room floor. My son (who is 2.5) like to get in his face and yell. Normally, King is okay with this and plays back... that is, when he's not tired. When he's tired, he growls at my son. Now, we have constantly corrected my son about this, but he does it anyway.

This time King had enough. King opened his mouth to growl and lunge at the same time. When he did he accidentally hit his tooth on my son's head. Now, my son was 100% at fault, but I didn't care. I thought King had bitten my son. Without thinking, I rushed over to him, grabbed King by the throat, pick him up, and slung a 75lb boxer on the couch. I rushed him again, pinned him down, and was about to start pounding him until my wife stopped me.

I didn't realize what had happen because it happened so fast. It was like pure instinct. My wife that King as well as her has warned my son over and over and he just wouldn't stop. King didn't want to hurt him, but he just wanted him to quit. There was no blood and no bruising. It just scared my son.

King was very sad and sorry, and I apologized to him. It was just really weird and surreal when it happened.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2012, 06:56 PM
RE: I had my first "Papa Bear" moment.
(14-04-2012 12:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Most of you know how much I love my dog King.

Well, a few nights ago King was trying to sleep on the living room floor. My son (who is 2.5) like to get in his face and yell. Normally, King is okay with this and plays back... that is, when he's not tired. When he's tired, he growls at my son. Now, we have constantly corrected my son about this, but he does it anyway.

This time King had enough. King opened his mouth to growl and lunge at the same time. When he did he accidentally hit his tooth on my son's head. Now, my son was 100% at fault, but I didn't care. I thought King had bitten my son. Without thinking, I rushed over to him, grabbed King by the throat, pick him up, and slung a 75lb boxer on the couch. I rushed him again, pinned him down, and was about to start pounding him until my wife stopped me.

I didn't realize what had happen because it happened so fast. It was like pure instinct. My wife that King as well as her has warned my son over and over and he just wouldn't stop. King didn't want to hurt him, but he just wanted him to quit. There was no blood and no bruising. It just scared my son.

King was very sad and sorry, and I apologized to him. It was just really weird and surreal when it happened.
Your reaction was over the top. If he had attacked your son, you may decide to put him down. But abusing him is cruel and unnecessary.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-04-2012, 07:07 PM
When the Dobie I had years ago went after my daughter, I knew it was because she was dangling tinsel in his face. And he didn't hurt her. About a week later my son (about 4 at the time) reached up to pat him on the head and he snapped right in Alex's face missing by less than an inch. I couldn't take that risk with my kids, their friends, or anyone else. As much as it pained me, I had him put down, no agency would take him because of this sudden aggressive behavior and I had to get him out of the house.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-04-2012, 07:09 PM
(14-04-2012 07:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When the Dobie I had years ago went after my daughter, I knew it was because she was dangling tinsel in his face. And he didn't hurt her. About a week later my son (about 4 at the time) reached up to pat him on the head and he snapped right in Alex's face missing by less than an inch. I couldn't take that risk with my kids, their friends, or anyone else. As much as it pained me, I had him put down, no agency would take him because of this sudden aggressive behavior and I had to get him out of the house.
Sad Sorry to hear that, Anj. Sad

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-04-2012, 08:02 PM
You were acting on instinct to protect your child. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't react the same if they thought their child was in danger. Its a natural reaction to defend offspring.

If you had thought for a second that king hadn't attacked your son you wouldn't have reacted like that.

I don't agree with Chas, It wasn't abuse. With hindsight it was an over reaction but not abuse.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
14-04-2012, 08:17 PM
(14-04-2012 06:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 12:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Most of you know how much I love my dog King.

Your reaction was over the top. If he had attacked your son, you may decide to put him down. But abusing him is cruel and unnecessary.

Made the mistake of gettin' drunk and then goin' all "come on give us a kiss" to an abused dog my wife had just taken in. Dog bit the shit out of me and I responded by punching it. My hand injuries were worse than my face.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-04-2012, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 08:22 PM by Erxomai.)
Bottom line is...Dogs will almost live up to their nature, so this event is no surprise.

The question is...are you comfortable with their natural instincts around your Chosen Ankle Biters?

The hope is, your bambinos will learn from lessons like these and they will one day be fearless baseball players!

(14-04-2012 08:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 06:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your reaction was over the top. If he had attacked your son, you may decide to put him down. But abusing him is cruel and unnecessary.

Made the mistake of gettin' drunk and then goin' all "come on give us a kiss" to an abused dog my wife had just taken in. Dog bit the shit out of me and I responded by punching it. My hand injuries were worse than my face.
It's all about perspective. Be grateful the pup didn't attack your fundoshi!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Understandable reaction given that it was instinct. Glad you were restrained before you hurt your pup though.
14-04-2012, 09:00 PM
(14-04-2012 08:02 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  You were acting on instinct to protect your child. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't react the same if they thought their child was in danger. Its a natural reaction to defend offspring.

If you had thought for a second that king hadn't attacked your son you wouldn't have reacted like that.

I don't agree with Chas, It wasn't abuse. With hindsight it was an over reaction but not abuse.
I say over-reaction and abuse because he knew perfectly well the history of the kid's taunting of the dog. He could have, and should have, expected this to happen and been prepared. But he apparently didn't and wasn't, he reacted and blamed the dog. Fortunately, the dog was quite restrained in its response.

The fault lies squarely on kc.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
15-04-2012, 08:29 AM
YOU are the "superior being". You have the rationality the dog lacks. I'ls up to you to learn dog language, the dog can't learn human language. The same counts for your son. He will need to learn to "read" the dog.

I'ts good that you learned to know your sensitive spot. Don't be depressed though. The dog probably forgot what happened 5 minutes after the incident.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.