I had my first "Papa Bear" moment.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 08:35 AM
RE: I had my first "Papa Bear" moment.
(14-04-2012 09:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  The fault lies squarely on kc.

Really. You'd think the pre-ordained guy would know this kinda stuff. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Here's my take on this. (for the record, I am a dog trainer by trade, so I ain't talkin out my ass on this one). KC, my friend, you've made a couple mistakes here. First, you've accidentally given your kid the impression that when he is told not to do something, it is a mere suggestion. That's a parenting thing, so I'll leave that alone.

Second mistake is how you handled the dog, but not just tossing it around (which is unacceptable, but if I dwell on that nothing can be gained. Suffice to say, it was indeed abusive, but luckily for you the dog doesn't think anything of it anymore)

The way to handle this from a training perspective, is to actually discipline the dog for the mistake. Before everyone starts freaking out that it was an accident, and the dog didn't do anything wrong, he was provoked, bla bla bla.....stop and think. Regardless of what the dog intended, it's in kings best interest to not even have the urge to retaliate, since that could result in him being put down. King needs to think that your son is dominant over him within the pack, and that gives KC jr. The right to do what ever he wants to king. KC jr needs to learn that he doesn't own the dog. At that age, the dog needs to be thought of as your possession, and one that he will be disciplined for interacting with when he doesn't have permission. There are some very effective techniques for teaching your dog not to react with it's mouth like king did in this situation. I'll gladly tell you some ideas if you want to learn.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
17-04-2012, 12:13 AM
This thread reminds me of a similar sad tale from 13th century Wales

GELERT'S GRAVE

IN THE 13TH CENTURY, LLYWELYN, PRINCE OF NORTH WALES, HAD A PALACE AT BEDDGELERT. ONE DAY HE WENT HUNTING WITHOUT GELERT "THE FAITHFUL HOUND" WHO WAS UNACCOUNTABLY ABSENT. ON LLYWELYN'S RETURN, THE TRUANT STAINED AND SMEARED WITH BLOOD, JOYFULLY SPRANG TO MEET HIS MASTER. THE PRINCE ALARMED HASTENED TO FIND HIS SON, AND SAW THE INFANT'S COT EMPTY, THE BEDCLOTHES AND FLOOR COVERED WITH BLOOD. THE FRANTIC FATHER PLUNGED THE SWORD INTO THE HOUND'S SIDE THINKING IT HAD KILLED HIS HEIR. THE DOG'S DYING YELL WAS ANSWERED BY A CHILD'S CRY. LLYWELYN SEARCHED AND DISCOVERED HIS BOY UNHARMED BUT NEAR BY LAY THE BODY OF A MIGHTY WOLF WHICH GELERT HAD SLAIN, THE PRINCE FILLED WITH REMORSE IS SAID NEVER TO HAVE SMILED AGAIN. HE BURIED GELERT HERE. THE SPOT IS CALLED BEDDGELERT.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
17-04-2012, 07:41 AM
I always saw you as more of a 'mama grizzly'.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post