I had this crazy idea that I might like to read the Bible... again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2016, 09:15 PM
I had this crazy idea that I might like to read the Bible... again.
Quote:Where's everyone at with their daily bread?

I had this crazy idea that I might like to read the Bible... again. I think this is one of my more dubious plans, up there with reading philosophy, but alas it has a foothold. An itch that needs scratching. I'm guessing I'm several fortnights behind that favourite resolution: this year I'll make it past the begats.

It is said, that the Bible is "a touchstone of literature and Western culture" , if read in its authorized King James version. Hopefully I kept the dusty Ole tome; I was tempted to toss it at one point - it terrified me. Seriously. Steven King... meh. Tame!

I got a few responses from my ole christian buddies; one suggestion that stood out was to read it chronologically (events based). I was also thinking of taking the approach of reading the Gospels side by side; something Dr. Ehrman suggested in one of his videos. Anyone have any other tips on how to read the bible? Is it maybe worth while to take some supplementary that is maybe focused on the scholarly or literary commentary?

I'm not entirely sure of my motivates for reading the thing, at the surface level perhaps Dr Ehrman's friendliness towards believers is inspiring. Perhaps to have a more solid grasp on the literary value of the Bible. Maybe to be able to say I went at least a bit further than the average in giving it a fair shake. And maybe just to face the book that terrified me through most of my life. Part of me wants nothing more than to hi-lite and add some notes around all the nasty bits... A personal fuck u to the idea of such a belief and family heirloom to pass down to my kids; and to their kids. And it if all goes to shit; well plan B was to raise a glass of rum and set it a blaze.

~J
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jayc's post
10-03-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: I had this crazy idea that I might like to read the Bible... again.
I read the Bible as an atheist. It's filled with interesting stories, plus I enjoy the cultural aspects of it. I am also reading the Vedas, I just find those types of windows into various past cultures very interesting.

I would suggest getting the Skeptic's Annotated Bible for your purposes. It's any easy, fun read. It's the Bible will all kinds of interesting and sometimes funny notations by Steve Wells.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
10-03-2016, 10:07 PM
You wanna read the Bible again? You crazy mixed up kid, you.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Thats great if its something you really want to do. But I don't understand why you want to torture yourself. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-03-2016, 01:16 AM
I don't think Bible is worth reading, for me it's far from great literature. I prefer to stick with Edda.

As for reading, if you want to do this why not just read it from cover to cover?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-03-2016, 04:48 AM
I studied the babble for years. It just gets worse and worse. It'll do your head in if you have a brain.

Read a good book. The three musketeers is a damned good read.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-03-2016, 05:41 AM
(10-03-2016 09:15 PM)jayc Wrote:  

I had this crazy idea that I might like to read the Bible... again. I think this is one of my more dubious plans, up there with reading philosophy, but alas it has a foothold. An itch that needs scratching. I'm guessing I'm several fortnights behind that favourite resolution: this year I'll make it past the begats.

It is said, that the Bible is "a touchstone of literature and Western culture" , if read in its authorized King James version. Hopefully I kept the dusty Ole tome; I was tempted to toss it at one point - it terrified me. Seriously. Steven King... meh. Tame!

I got a few responses from my ole christian buddies; one suggestion that stood out was to read it chronologically (events based). I was also thinking of taking the approach of reading the Gospels side by side; something Dr. Ehrman suggested in one of his videos. Anyone have any other tips on how to read the bible? Is it maybe worth while to take some supplementary that is maybe focused on the scholarly or literary commentary?

I'm not entirely sure of my motivates for reading the thing, at the surface level perhaps Dr Ehrman's friendliness towards believers is inspiring. Perhaps to have a more solid grasp on the literary value of the Bible. Maybe to be able to say I went at least a bit further than the average in giving it a fair shake. And maybe just to face the book that terrified me through most of my life. Part of me wants nothing more than to hi-lite and add some notes around all the nasty bits... A personal fuck u to the idea of such a belief and family heirloom to pass down to my kids; and to their kids. And it if all goes to shit; well plan B was to raise a glass of rum and set it a blaze.

~J

I've recommended the babble to several christards because they don't seem to know much about the book they hold so dear and profess to know so much about. I suspect that if they did ever read it, they'd turn away from christardology for good and become atheists. It contains some really sick and offensive passages. Why anyone buys it for a chistening present is beyond me. Who would allow their child to actually read it?Weeping

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
11-03-2016, 05:55 AM
(10-03-2016 09:15 PM)jayc Wrote:  

~J

I'd say go with plan B, it would save a lot of time.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
11-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Read it in Hebrew. That way at least you'll learn something.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
11-03-2016, 08:30 PM
So the rational advise...don't waste your time, let it go Wink. I do like the idea of the Skeptical bible, I see they have a printed version.
[+] 1 user Likes jayc's post