I had this crazy idea that I might like to read the Bible... again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2016, 08:40 PM
RE: I had this crazy idea that I might like to read the Bible... again.
I remember excitedly highlighting things and making notes on the hilarious inconsistencies and impossibilities, so I could revisit them or point others to them. After a dozen pages, it became obvious that you can basically open the bible to an arbitrary page and find something ridiculous... Which must mean that nobody has really read the thing. At least not the majority who call themselves Christians.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2016, 02:26 AM
Meh. The best way to read it is to mot read it at all. If you have read it already, why would you want to waste your time again? That is like wanting to get a colonoscopy because a proctologist was nice.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
13-03-2016, 05:03 AM
Depends on what you're into. If you like poetry, Psalms and Song of Solomon are good.

If you like battle stories and "history," head for books like the Samuels and Kings, where you can find the most lauded sociopath of the OT, David. David is beloved by the God character, perhaps because they are kindred spirits.

If you like editorials, the OT's version of cranky old guys bitching on and on can be found in the books of the prophets.

Creation myths and Isrealite origins stories are in Genesis and Exodus. Skip the begats (boring), and the laws (horrifying).

As for the New Testament, if you're interested in books written about Jesus by no one who ever knew him, read the whole thing. But the only really interesting stuff is found in the shroom-inspired Revelations.