I hate autism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2013, 02:24 AM
RE: I hate autism
(04-01-2013 02:10 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Having said that...many other people have found it useful from both a parent's perspective and others right here who are on the ASD spectrum. So I don't really regret anymore writing this post -- like I did before. It's served a purpose and I'm quite happy with that.
Thanks for clarifying it, words can be a bit misleading at times, even if your intentions were different. Parents have a whole load of issues to carry when raising a kid on the spectrum, including negative reactions from other people.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2013, 02:42 AM
(04-01-2013 02:24 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 02:10 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Having said that...many other people have found it useful from both a parent's perspective and others right here who are on the ASD spectrum. So I don't really regret anymore writing this post -- like I did before. It's served a purpose and I'm quite happy with that.
Thanks for clarifying it, words can be a bit misleading at times, even if your intentions were different. Parents have a whole load of issues to carry when raising a kid on the spectrum, including negative reactions from other people.

Smile No problem...he's really a great kid, as things go fairly easy going. Right now I'm just looking forward to school starting again....for the typical reasons.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
04-01-2013, 06:38 AM
(04-01-2013 01:59 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  What one considers "normal" would not really fit to someone on the spectrum, but just because it's different, doesn't mean it's always bad. Neurotypicals (NT's) have a hard time to understand certain behaviors and they can't be blamed for it, but saying that they hate autism is quite shocking. Would you tell the same thing if a child would have any other disability or disorder? Would that make them less worthy? Think about it.

I don't understand your reaction. I saw the thread title and had essentially the same kind of reaction as I would had it been "I hate cancer" or "I hate diabetes":

Here is a post by someone who is facing a hurdle and probably needs to vent, share, ask for help.

You weren't the only one to react as though she said she hated the person, but I don't get it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-01-2013, 12:19 AM
hey msbb anything new happen with your son?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
05-01-2013, 12:40 AM
(04-01-2013 06:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't understand your reaction. I saw the thread title and had essentially the same kind of reaction as I would had it been "I hate cancer" or "I hate diabetes" (...)

Well, autism is not considered a desease or "mental illness, a disorder might fit here but still, many advocates on the spectrum would rather classify it as a condition, where the brain is wired differently than most of the population.

As far as my reaction goes, it has been already clarified with the OP (read posts above). Smile

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
05-01-2013, 12:43 AM
(05-01-2013 12:19 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  hey msbb anything new happen with your son?
He's been doing great and he can't wait for school to start next week. We played Mario Party (which ever one) and kicked my butt on the mini games Big Grin
He's currently consumed with putting together a model (some star wars thing) he got for Christmas but deemed the wood burning kit we got him completely unsafe. He's actually quite artistic so I'd like to see him give it a shot but I'm not pushing it...We'll wait for a bored rainy/snowy day and try it then...or a hot summer day...lol.

The other night we lost power so had no choice but to talk...at first he was repeating generic stuff he's heard on TV....then for some reason we started talking about Star Wars (i'm a star trek person myself), but the mythology connection...good verse evil that kinda stuff...he had some interesting things to say about Darth Vader -- He doesn't think he was ever really bad....he just forgot how to be nice.

I was actually kinda sad when the power came back on and he vanished to work on his model....which I'm completely forbidden from helping him with because....there was this incident many years ago and he NEVER forgets anything....I put something together for him but did it wrong.

I think overall the model isn't going well tho, he's probably having trouble reading the instructions (the picture diagrams probably aren't as helpful) but he's really tenacious about doing it himself -- stupid box says 8-12 years old...But it'll just take him longer to figure out I guess.

Thanks for asking!!!

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

05-01-2013, 12:46 AM
sweet! Seems like things are great! Live long and prosper.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post