I hate autism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2015 10:58 PM by Lienda Bella.)
RE: I hate autism
THIS... IS EXACTLY.... Why people post such things in the personal posts folder, BUT... I'll hold my thoughts for now.

Crickets
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2015, 02:45 AM
(19-01-2015 06:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 08:30 PM)GingerJack Wrote:  I found this thread, and I really regret it. I understand a need to vent, but this...

Not only is this pointing to a 13 year old boy and saying that his lack of emotional contact due to a mental illness he cannot control is driving the mother insane, but the implication that autism causes divorce. Why do we need to put more fuel on the fire for people to point to when they say people with autism are a problem? And you can't just say that it's the autism and pretend that the person is separate. They are together. This is like going up to someone who can't walk and say that you hate them being paraplegic because it causes you so much problems. How do you think they feel? What if your son read this? You do realize that he's going to develop and be able to understand this right? Autism isn't like being crippled, you learn to cope and adapt, just like any mental illness. You have to teach him that even though he doesn't want to, sometimes he has to do things he doesn't want to. That's what my mom did to me, and I'm doing a lot of things in my life, more than what most who aren't on the spectrum are.

Teaching proper coping skills is also key, teach him how to deal with his emotions when they bottle up. How to direct it in a positive manner. He's smart, you just got show him where to look. He's already trying to imitate the TV shows he watch, show him smarter shows and he'll pick up on them eventually.

And what gives you the right to lecture Moms on how to raise her son and how she should or shouldn't feel?

I'm sure raising anyone with a neurological disorder is very hard and can be very frustrating at times. That's not saying she doesn't love her son, that's just her being real and expression that sometimes she gets frustrated.

If you can't understand why someone would be frustrated occasionally given that situation than you haven't been through it and so shouldn't lecture other people on how they should and shouldn't go through it.

Oh, and fuck you.

Fucking well said mate. As a kid with autism, I confirm you nailed it.

That said, anyone on the outside looking in cannot possibly understand, especially if they don't have kids themselves. I just look at comments like this as misguided.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
24-01-2015, 02:49 AM
(12-12-2012 07:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... and I hate that I am part of the statistic that 85% of parents with autistic children end up divorced.

85%?! ... I'll have to share the good news with my friend at work..
24-01-2015, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 03:30 AM by DLJ.)
(24-01-2015 02:49 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 07:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... and I hate that I am part of the statistic that 85% of parents with autistic children end up divorced.

85%?! ... I'll have to share the good news with my friend at work..

In that case, I should qualify my statement.

It was a stat quoted to us 10+ years ago when we (as parents) were frantically absorbing any and all information that we could find about the condition.

We were told that around 80% of marriages ended in divorce (UK stats) for parents of children with physical and/or mental disabilities. But developmental disorders e.g. autism was at 85%.

Bear in mind the paucity of information and official (NHS) assistance at the time which may be (almost certainly IMHO) a factor.