I hate college football.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2014, 07:06 PM
RE: I hate college football.
*sigh*

So my news feed this evening has two new feeds on idiotic football players. One from OSU who is being arrested again for substance abuse, this time while driving. This is after he was suspended from school for substance abuse, then kicked out of the NFL for it. The other a player from that other school who beat a girl in Norman and broke a bunch of bones in her face.

I really don't mind most of the time the football programs because, like you pointed out rev, they bring in a benefit to the school. So if these guys couldn't regularly gain admission to our school I'm ok with it so long as they abide by the rules and try their best while here. The problem is many of them don't follow those rules and they think they can get away with it because they're football stars.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2014, 07:38 PM
I hardly ever catch a college game anymore Undecided
Unless the Arkansas Razorbacks find their way onto the TV programing for KC, MO Big Grin

25-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Re: RE: I hate college football.
(25-07-2014 07:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  *sigh*

So my news feed this evening has two new feeds on idiotic football players. One from OSU who is being arrested again for substance abuse, this time while driving. This is after he was suspended from school for substance abuse, then kicked out of the NFL for it. The other a player from that other school who beat a girl in Norman and broke a bunch of bones in her face.

I really don't mind most of the time the football programs because, like you pointed out rev, they bring in a benefit to the school. So if these guys couldn't regularly gain admission to our school I'm ok with it so long as they abide by the rules and try their best while here. The problem is many of them don't follow those rules and they think they can get away with it because they're football stars.

I really think that assumption of them is flawed. You see some athletes in clubs or other scenarios act that way but college students doing deeply idiotic things without thinking out the consequences is normal, athletes or not.

I do think lessening of standards is a horrendous issue that shouldn't be accepted as "the way it is"

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Ugh, don't even get me started on college football. I went to the University of Alabama. Roll Tide, y'all. Dodgy

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
30-07-2014, 05:33 PM
I have no interest in any spectator sports whatsoever, but being thrilled by gladiatorial spectacle is obviously a vital sequence in most peoples' DNA; I just happen to be missing that gene. So I can understand the high passion people have for it and more power to them - so long as it's kept spectacle and doesn't erupt into carnage.

But the line between United States football and carnage almost doesn't exist; its participants are more heavily armored than even boxers. It is the most graceless of all the sports, just raw brutality as far as I can tell for the sake of brutality. Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Baseball, Track - these sports showcase the extremes of human skill; USA football simply uses human beings as road kellys and D-9s. The ball isn't round because it'd never stay round with all that colliding mass smushing it misshapen.

It's also costly. Not just in dollars. Lives.

Surely we can keep our gladiatorial genes excited in ways that appeal also to the mind, instead of crushing it.