I hate my country sometimes!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Here's the bullshit news story of 21 who has only just avoided jail time and been ordered to complete 250 hours of community service for making a joke that referenced the Woolwich murder. She made a joke that anyone wearing a Help for Heroes t-shirt deserved to be beheaded, a reference to the design of the garment. This was posted on her own fucking twitter account! She received replies threatening to rape and kill her but apparently that is totally fine.

There's been a spate of similar cases recently, people posting controversial opinions or even jokes on their own facebook or twitter accounts and facing prosecution for it (most get jail time, this woman only just avoided it because she was unaware of some of the details of the events in Woolwich).

It really makes me embarrassed to be British, you know you're fucking up when even the Americans are handling things better than you!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 08:36 PM
RE: I hate my country sometimes!
Treason!
You're a traitor!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 8 users Like Erxomai's post
07-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Oooooh. Kaaaaay.
I gather that a drummer was killed while wearing that T-shirt.
Then the girl said "anybody wearing 'X' t-shirt should be beheaded"
Then she was arrested for that? Uhm...don't you guys have some sort of free speech guaranteed in writing, too?

I assume, like it's a bad idea to call a Judge a "muthuh-f***ker" here, it is unwise to call a Magistrate a "fohken cuhnt" there, right? Tongue

07-06-2013, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 07:21 PM by Hughsie.)
(07-06-2013 08:55 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Oooooh. Kaaaaay.
I gather that a drummer was killed while wearing that T-shirt.
Then the girl said "anybody wearing 'X' t-shirt should be beheaded"
Then she was arrested for that? Uhm...don't you guys have some sort of free speech guaranteed in writing, too?

I assume, like it's a bad idea to call a Judge a "muthuh-f***ker" here, it is unwise to call a Magistrate a "fohken cuhnt" there, right? Tongue

If you asked our politicians I'm sure they'd tell you that we have near total free-speech, minus a few exceptions. Only problem is that those 'few exceptions' encompass practically everything.

To be honest the law under which she was prosecuted is being misused. She's been convicted of sending a malicious communication. From the terminology of that I'm guessing it was a law aimed at preventing people sending messages to others aimed at getting to them psychologically, now it's being used to convict people who haven't sent anything to anyone, they've only posted on their own account.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
07-06-2013, 09:49 PM
"Chairman of the bench, Nigel Orton, told her she could have been jailed for the tweet ... "

Fear motivates much human conduct. If one can instill fear in people, one can force them(people) to act in one's best interests and often contrary to their(people) own interests. And even that is used to manipulate, by one who would instill fear in another. My government does this often, as do the governed. Sucks big time.

Recognize it and continue to call it out so that others recognize it. It's the only way to stop fear from spreading. Of course, you'll be ridiculed but you're an atheist; you've been there. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-06-2013, 11:09 PM
↑↑ That's a step in the right direction. Thumbsup

And keep in mind... they may only do shit like this to someone sometimes, but they have the ability to do it to anyone, all the time.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
08-06-2013, 10:10 AM
There is a difference between free speech and shameful speech. I am guilty of the latter with some frequency and have been shamed for it. Arrest may not have been appropriate in this case and 250 hours of community service may have been too harsh a shaming, but shaming this person deserved.

Free speech must have certain limits. The classic "fire in a crowded theater" could be considered one. Delivered I must admit by Oliver Wendel Holmes while upholding the wrongful conviction of an opponent to the draft in World War I.

Whether one should be jailed for an excess of speech or whether one should be shamed for it are difficult issues. This person did deserve to be shamed for what they said whether it be on the internet or in public.
08-06-2013, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 12:54 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
I know people have been fired and kids suspended over what they wrote on fb (or twitter).

What I find weird -- according to the story -- the tweet was made, people got pissed and threatened her...so she went to the police and asked for protection? So the police arrested her?

Now, mind you I haven't had my requisite amount of coffee...

Goodness....

I shouldn't post without enough coffee.

I guess what I take away from this story..in England, it's ok to threaten harm to someone who writes something stupid on a social media, since if they go to the police theyll be arrested.

That is kinda wild.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

08-06-2013, 12:31 PM
The only limits to free speech should be threats or harassment. If she was not actually threatening or harassing anyone, then the only problem was that she made a distasteful joke that people were offended by. That's no crime, or at least it shouldn't be in any society that claims to value the freedom of expression. Or are we to throw cartoonists in jail because they offend Muslims?

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
08-06-2013, 04:33 PM
(08-06-2013 12:31 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  The only limits to free speech should be threats or harassment. If she was not actually threatening or harassing anyone, then the only problem was that she made a distasteful joke that people were offended by. That's no crime, or at least it shouldn't be in any society that claims to value the freedom of expression. Or are we to throw cartoonists in jail because they offend Muslims?

In this country that would totally happen if the cartoons got enough coverage, not even exaggerating.

Best
Worst
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post