I hate parades

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: I hate parades
(02-01-2017 12:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 12:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I used to watch them, but this year...Macy's on Thanksgiving...didn't happen, but at least I remembered it was on.

I completely forgot about the tournament of roses. Totally...

Which is totally odd since I always enjoyed much more.

They show reruns of the Rose Parade later I think. The smell of the flowers and herbs is amazing. It wafts along the parade route, especially all the roses. After it's over one can go and check the floats out in a giant warehouse and a few days later they let people come and take the flowers and plants off the floats to make pomades and dry the flowers and stuff. It's the only parade that I find tolerable.

My fil went to college near Pasadena, and helped with the floats -- he loved it.

I just thought it was on yesterday and I totally missed it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-01-2017, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 12:54 PM by Anjele.)
I used to watch the big parades every holiday season but haven't in years. It's all commercials now...a couple years ago I caught a few minutes of one and turned it off when I saw the "Avocados From California" (or maybe it was Mexico) float.

In school we made floats for Homecoming and had a competition between the grades for who had the best really bad float. There's only so much you can do with green and gold and a team mascot of 'Trail Blazers'. Undecided

We called our Catholic school marching band the Beckman Marching Embarrassment. (No offense to HS band members but our band took being awful to an astonishing level.) The closest public school, which was about 10 miles away, had a band that was often invited to major parades like the Rose Bowl and the Cotton Bowl. Of course both bands would be in every parade in town...there was no way to not take notice of the disparity in the two.

I am still a sucker for a good drum line.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-01-2017, 12:51 PM
(02-01-2017 12:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I used to watch the big parades every holiday season but haven't in years. It's all commercials now...a couple years ago I caught a few minutes of one and turned it off when I saw the "Avocados From California" float.

In school we made floats for Homecoming and had a competition between the grades for who had the best really bad float. There's only so much you can do with green and gold and a team mascot of 'Trail Blazers'. Undecided

We called our Catholic school marching band the Beckman Marching Embarrassment. (No offense to HS band members but our band took being awful to an astonishing level.) The closest public school, which was about 10 miles away, had a band that was often invited to major parades like the Rose Bowl and the Cotton Bowl. Of course both bands would be in every parade in town...there was no way to not take notice of the disparity in the two.

That's why I always enjoyed the Tournament of Roses Parade, all the materials used on the floats have to be from plants.

I always found that idea kinda cool. I don't mind so much the marching bands. Funny but I appreciate it more now that I'm older than I did as a kid. Consider

02-01-2017, 12:56 PM
(02-01-2017 12:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 12:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I used to watch the big parades every holiday season but haven't in years. It's all commercials now...a couple years ago I caught a few minutes of one and turned it off when I saw the "Avocados From California" float.

That's why I always enjoyed the Tournament of Roses Parade, all the materials used on the floats have to be from plants.

I always found that idea kinda cool. I don't mind so much the marching bands. Funny but I appreciate it more now that I'm older than I did as a kid. Consider

Some of the floats are pretty amazing since they do have to be made with flowers and plants. We just killed a whole lot of crepe paper to make ours.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
02-01-2017, 01:02 PM
(02-01-2017 12:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 12:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's why I always enjoyed the Tournament of Roses Parade, all the materials used on the floats have to be from plants.

Some of the floats are pretty amazing since they do have to be made with flowers and plants. We just killed a whole lot of crepe paper to make ours.

When I was a senior in high school, we were supposed to do a float for our homecoming parade. We smoked a big J and forgot to do it.

True story. We didn't give a shit.

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-01-2017, 01:04 PM
(02-01-2017 01:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 12:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Some of the floats are pretty amazing since they do have to be made with flowers and plants. We just killed a whole lot of crepe paper to make ours.

When I was a senior in high school, we were supposed to do a float for our homecoming parade. We smoked a big J and forgot to do it.

put the roach on the back of a radio flyer and pull it through the parade.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
02-01-2017, 01:05 PM
(02-01-2017 01:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 12:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Some of the floats are pretty amazing since they do have to be made with flowers and plants. We just killed a whole lot of crepe paper to make ours.

Part of our Homecoming festivities was a big bonfire, after a parade (more of a march) through town on the night prior to the night of the game. We would have been better off to have the bonfire after the game and just lit those ugly floats ablaze.

Went on one of those 'parades' on blotter...best parade ever. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-01-2017, 01:14 PM
I like parades in real life but on TV? Eh, it's ok. I personally don't mind some music but I can't stand a parade in real life when a fire truck comes around blows their siren as loud as it will go, it's very disturbing to many small children and animals and I pretty much always have my dog with me and it's annoying, why do it?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
02-01-2017, 01:33 PM
The JPL- Caltech floats of a few years ago were neat. They always have amazing animation.

[Image: float-20080101.jpg]

[Image: float_composite.en.png]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-01-2017, 01:37 PM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post