I hate reading textbooks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 08:21 PM
I hate reading textbooks
I need to read part of a textbook to prepare for a test this Thursday (it's supposed to be like a chapter a week, I kept forgetting).

I really hate reading textbooks.

It's so incredibly boring.

It gets more and more unpleasant the longer it goes on, and all I can think about is how much longer I have to do this.

Pretty much all of it just instantly leaves my head anyway.

The tiniest things makes me think of other things I'd rather be thinking about than what I'm reading.

I've pretty much given up on actually having it all read by Thursday.

Yeah, I know we all have to do things we don't want to, but I'm going to continue whining about it anyway.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2017, 08:23 PM
RE: I hate reading textbooks
what's the subject matter?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
06-03-2017, 09:03 PM
My suggestion: try reading it as if it's an online post that you're taking apart for some reason. Write responses or questions that occur to you, rewrite awkward phrases--interact with it rather than just try to absorb it.

If all else fails, treat yourself like a 5-year-old and offer yourself a reward for getting through it.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
06-03-2017, 09:14 PM
(06-03-2017 08:23 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  what's the subject matter?

U.S. History. From after the Civil War to early 1990s, I think.

(06-03-2017 09:03 PM)julep Wrote:  My suggestion: try reading it as if it's an online post that you're taking apart for some reason. Write responses or questions that occur to you, rewrite awkward phrases--interact with it rather than just try to absorb it.

That sounds like a good strategy in general...but I'm too lazy. Blush

Plus, I'm really not interested enough to have any questions or responses.

Quote:If all else fails, treat yourself like a 5-year-old and offer yourself a reward for getting through it.

That sounds more my speed. Tongue If I'd made this thread back when I had a week before the test I'd have gone with that.

06-03-2017, 09:17 PM
(06-03-2017 08:21 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I need to read part of a textbook to prepare for a test this Thursday (it's supposed to be like a chapter a week, I kept forgetting).

I really hate reading textbooks.

It's so incredibly boring.

It gets more and more unpleasant the longer it goes on, and all I can think about is how much longer I have to do this.

Pretty much all of it just instantly leaves my head anyway.

The tiniest things makes me think of other things I'd rather be thinking about than what I'm reading.

I've pretty much given up on actually having it all read by Thursday.

Yeah, I know we all have to do things we don't want to, but I'm going to continue whining about it anyway.
The purpose of education is to train us how to deliver a product in which we have no interest, and to deliver it on schedule. It is training for how our lives are going to be. Yes If you can make it as a poet, maybe you can dodge that bullet. But poets usually kill themselves at an early age. Not a good career choice. I say try to find what truly motivates you and follow it. You clearly don't like the current path.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
06-03-2017, 09:17 PM
When I'm reading something boring, it helps for me to read it out loud.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
06-03-2017, 09:24 PM
When I'm reading something boring, I read one page at a time then go and do something fun for a few minutes, then go back and read a page, and so on. It breaks up the monotony.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
06-03-2017, 09:56 PM
(06-03-2017 09:17 PM)Fireball Wrote:  The purpose of education is to train us how to deliver a product in which we have no interest, and to deliver it on schedule. It is training for how our lives are going to be. Yes If you can make it as a poet, maybe you can dodge that bullet. But poets usually kill themselves at an early age. Not a good career choice. I say try to find what truly motivates you and follow it. You clearly don't like the current path.

The class is a gen ed. I have other classes that're related to my major and I'm much more motivated for. This is actually the only class that doesn't involve turning anything in, funnily enough.

(06-03-2017 09:17 PM)cactus Wrote:  When I'm reading something boring, it helps for me to read it out loud.

I'll try that next time.

(06-03-2017 09:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I'm reading something boring, I read one page at a time then go and do something fun for a few minutes, then go back and read a page, and so on. It breaks up the monotony.

Yeah, that's usually the way I go, for any school work. I've just fallen into a dangerous rut of "There's SO MUCH" and "Screw it, I'm not finishing anyway" for this.

[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
06-03-2017, 10:06 PM
What's your major? I may have asked before, but I'm old, and need frequent reminders.
06-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Combine jennybee and julep's suggestion and for every page break, you get to eat an M&M Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post