I hate reading textbooks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 10:49 PM
RE: I hate reading textbooks
(06-03-2017 10:06 PM)Fireball Wrote:  What's your major? I may have asked before, but I'm old, and need frequent reminders.

Animation (computer animation "track").

I don't think you've asked before, for the record.

(06-03-2017 10:14 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Combine jennybee and julep's suggestion and for every page break, you get to eat an M&M Smile

That sounds awesome (I think I'd go with Skittles, though). Gotta remember that for when I'm not dieting. Confused

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
07-03-2017, 04:25 AM
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
Santayana

Beware my young friend, your history awaits. Ohmy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
07-03-2017, 10:41 AM
(06-03-2017 09:56 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 09:17 PM)Fireball Wrote:  The purpose of education is to train us how to deliver a product in which we have no interest, and to deliver it on schedule. It is training for how our lives are going to be. Yes If you can make it as a poet, maybe you can dodge that bullet. But poets usually kill themselves at an early age. Not a good career choice. I say try to find what truly motivates you and follow it. You clearly don't like the current path.

The class is a gen ed. I have other classes that're related to my major and I'm much more motivated for. This is actually the only class that doesn't involve turning anything in, funnily enough.

(06-03-2017 09:17 PM)cactus Wrote:  When I'm reading something boring, it helps for me to read it out loud.

I'll try that next time.

(06-03-2017 09:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I'm reading something boring, I read one page at a time then go and do something fun for a few minutes, then go back and read a page, and so on. It breaks up the monotony.

Yeah, that's usually the way I go, for any school work. I've just fallen into a dangerous rut of "There's SO MUCH" and "Screw it, I'm not finishing anyway" for this.

Not having to turn anything in is the real problem. If I had a class like that, I'd probably not read the material, either. Do you have class discussions on the material? How else (except for a test) is the course to be graded?
07-03-2017, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 11:39 AM by Rockblossom.)
(06-03-2017 08:21 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I need to read part of a textbook to prepare for a test this Thursday (it's supposed to be like a chapter a week, I kept forgetting).

Some suggestions from an Old Person who also hated textbooks, and especially the history ones:
1. Instead of slogging through a whole chapter from beginning to end (and zoning out through a good part of it Shocking ) try skimming through first. Take about 5 - 10 minutes to look at chapter headings and subheadings, then read the first sentence in each paragraph. Quickly scan the remainder of each paragraph. Then stop and ask : What did this chapter cover and what major points was it trying to make? Were there any dates/times/places that were emphasized? Does anything like a 'list of stuff' pop out at you anywhere?

2. Now think of yourself as the teacher who has to write the test for this chapter and grade it. What questions would you ask that would have a clear answer? Keep in mind that essay questions may be a PITA to answer, but they are a PITA x 30 or so to grade. Dates, places, people, significant events, and 'lists of stuff' make good test questions. Make a quick list of questions you might write for the test, and go back to the chapter to check for answers.

3. If there is anyone else in your class you can talk to, check in with them about what they saw as key points in the chapter. (And do not let yourselves get distracted talking about how boring the class/teacher/subject matter/textbook is. Everyone knows that. Waste of time.)

4. If any of it is still a bit fuzzy, do a quick Google or Bing check online for significant events during the time frame covered in the chapter. This should be quick. You are just looking for anything significant you might have missed.

5. If you are paying attention and not letting yourself get distracted, you can do all of the above in 30 minutes. You will note that I did not say "go back and read the chapter, slowly, beginning to end" anywhere in there. For that I may earn the enmity of teachers (or textbook writers) everywhere, but so be it. I think this way works better for learning and retention than slogging painfully through material that is boring. Sadcryface

6. Good luck on the test!

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
07-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Just read the book. Seriously, how hard is it?

It's like students explaining to me the many reasons why they could not practice. I know it's all BS because I did the practice.

Stop being a lazy prick and read the book.

Nobody's asking you to dig a ditch.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-03-2017, 09:49 PM
This' been a surprisingly useful thread. To be perfectly honest I was just complaining and wasn't expecting tips (and I hope I don't sound too much like I'm trying to avoid them. It's just I feel I'm kind of past the point of no return at this point. I'd be grabbing everything if I'd made this thread when I still had a week). Thank you guys Yes

(07-03-2017 10:41 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Not having to turn anything in is the real problem. If I had a class like that, I'd probably not read the material, either. Do you have class discussions on the material? How else (except for a test) is the course to be graded?

There are quizzes. When I said I don't turn anything in I meant there's no homework or long term projects like with the others.

And to Banjo (I'm not quoting him because I already opened this reply box and my right mouse button takes random naps so I can't cut and paste. And I'm not retyping it) I'm ranting not excusing the thing. I can acknowledge that not reading it is my own fuck up and the probably inevitable low grade is my fault and still talk about how much I hate it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
07-03-2017, 11:39 PM
(07-03-2017 09:49 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  CLUN wrote something.

Yeah I know. Books are tough.

You should try this! Big Grin

[Image: sticking-patterns-by-gary-chaffee.jpg]

Banjo.
08-03-2017, 04:48 AM
(07-03-2017 04:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Those who forget [to study for their] history [exam] are doomed to repeat it.
Santayana

I fixed it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
08-03-2017, 06:52 AM
I'm studying for some network security certification called Security+. I am not the least bit interested in the topic but my work won't trust me to install software without it. And I'm often trying out 3-4 different open source software packages a day depending on the task at hand. I found online lessons which read the material to me. I just put on headphones and listen to them as background noise while I'm doing something else. I don't pay them any attention and rely on my subconscious to pick up the terms. When it comes time to actually study for the exam I will have heard all the terms before and the details are easier to pick up.

#sigh
08-03-2017, 07:17 AM
(08-03-2017 06:52 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm studying for some network security certification called Security+. I am not the least bit interested in the topic but my work won't trust me to install software without it. And I'm often trying out 3-4 different open source software packages a day depending on the task at hand. I found online lessons which read the material to me. I just put on headphones and listen to them as background noise while I'm doing something else. I don't pay them any attention and rely on my subconscious to pick up the terms. When it comes time to actually study for the exam I will have heard all the terms before and the details are easier to pick up.

[Image: 32aae55d22786a8afcf6337eac68d3be.gif]

Banjo.