I hate reading textbooks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2017, 07:23 AM
RE: I hate reading textbooks
CleverUserName, the purpose of college is to show that you can work on your own. If you can't then you'll wind up in a job being supervised by someone who finished that reading assignment. Real or imaginary motivations are the key to getting through such classes. (I got a Masters in History back in '04.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
08-03-2017, 09:22 AM
I know the feeling, OP. I hate/hated it too.

I never learned how to study in high school. I grew up and lived in a small town hyperfocused on Friday night football with hardly any focus on academics. Had a couple of great teachers that deserved some spotlight, but I also had a horde of horrific instructors. I got by with mediocre grades and subpar effort. Whenever teachers challenged me (the ones who cared about each and every student), I excelled. I first went to college in the fall of 2009; dropped out (not even properly dropping my classes) after mismanaging my life's priorities by allowing a failed relationship to sink my life.

Returned in 2014 to the same college. This is what I've personally learned in my journey through learning how to study effectively: when it comes to boring ol' textbooks, refuse to procrastinate. Read a little bit each day, if you can. It all becomes a lot easier. Treat it like a game. When you read the material in increments, having to read such a large amount no longer feels like a big challenge.

Procrastination absolutely sucks. It's a trap. Makes you feel shitty and depressed.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes UndauntedToast's post
08-03-2017, 09:36 AM
I don't mind textbooks when they're not part of a class. When I'm doing it on my own I have the option to read at my own pace, which can mean either skipping over stuff I find boring or irrelevant or spending extra time on a particular subject, maybe even taking a break from the textbook to find different books that explain the same subject in greater detail, before returning to the original. What I can't do is skim through a textbook relatively quickly and retain much of anything. Way too much ADHD going on for that.

I don't have any advice. I have a low tolerance for boredom. I've dabbled in college classes (mostly while burning through my GI Bill benefits) and have credits ranging from Chinese classes in Hangzhou to exercise science classes in Las Vegas to linguistics classes online, enough to make several degrees out of, just not in the right subjects. Their degree plans don't work for me. Too much filler Tongue

'Murican Canadian
08-03-2017, 09:26 PM
(08-03-2017 09:22 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  I know the feeling, OP. I hate/hated it too.

I never learned how to study in high school. I grew up and lived in a small town hyperfocused on Friday night football with hardly any focus on academics. Had a couple of great teachers that deserved some spotlight, but I also had a horde of horrific instructors. I got by with mediocre grades and subpar effort. Whenever teachers challenged me (the ones who cared about each and every student), I excelled. I first went to college in the fall of 2009; dropped out (not even properly dropping my classes) after mismanaging my life's priorities by allowing a failed relationship to sink my life.

Returned in 2014 to the same college. This is what I've personally learned in my journey through learning how to study effectively: when it comes to boring ol' textbooks, refuse to procrastinate. Read a little bit each day, if you can. It all becomes a lot easier. Treat it like a game. When you read the material in increments, having to read such a large amount no longer feels like a big challenge.

Procrastination absolutely sucks. It's a trap. Makes you feel shitty and depressed.

Aw. Hope things are going better for you. Hug

Yeah, the keys to actually getting it done is starting early and taking it step by step. I think what happened here is it got shoved back behind everything else. I get other assignments that I need to try and not procrastinate with, and since those are going to be needed sooner and require actually turning something in (leading to the inevitable awkward conversations when you mess them up or don't turn them in) they end up taking precedent, and then it kept going on like that in a cycle.

Lessons learned. Blush Once this test is over and I have something of a clean slate I'll need to force myself keep to a chapter a week.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post