I hate the term "Cultural Jew"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2016, 05:17 PM
I hate the term "Cultural Jew"
I loathe this term within the Jewish community it's almost an accusation it's like saying oh sure you love our culture language and our accomplishments and revere our struggle over the centuries to be free and safe. But because you don't inter prate our history mystically then you really aren't one of us you just a partial Jew. And i'm shocked at Jews who are unbelieving who embrace this title .

From outsiders it feels the same it seems there saying you are less Jewish because being Jewish is defined by believing in god. But from my current view of my people i see more i see an ancient people who have endure centuries of brutal oppression and have learned and risen from it .To be a powerhouse in science ,economics ,law,technology and medicine and have enriched the world in each. I don't have to believe in magic to take pride in those accomplishments and i do.

A teacher of mine put it this way The ancients tried to break us .They failed the Romans tried they failed. The Christians tried they failed.Islam tried they failed. Hitler better then you have tried and failed.We made it here and mysticism had nothing to do with it. It was done by the sacrifice of millions and might require the sacrifice of more. But when will we see it has always been men weak and great that have steered our destiny not magic not prayers not ancient parchments.Men

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
24-07-2016, 05:32 PM
RE: I hate the term "Cultural Jew"
(24-07-2016 05:17 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  I loathe this term within the Jewish community it's almost an accusation it's like saying oh sure you love our culture language and our accomplishments and revere our struggle over the centuries to be free and safe. But because you don't inter prate our history mystically then you really aren't one of us you just a partial Jew. And i'm shocked at Jews who are unbelieving who embrace this title .

From outsiders it feels the same it seems there saying you are less Jewish because being Jewish is defined by believing in god. But from my current view of my people i see more i see an ancient people who have endure centuries of brutal oppression and have learned and risen from it .To be a powerhouse in science ,economics ,law,technology and medicine and have enriched the world in each. I don't have to believe in magic to take pride in those accomplishments and i do.

A teacher of mine put it this way The ancients tried to break us .They failed the Romans tried they failed. The Christians tried they failed.Islam tried they failed. Hitler better then you have tried and failed.We made it here and mysticism had nothing to do with it. It was done by the sacrifice of millions and might require the sacrifice of more. But when will we see it has always been men weak and great that have steered our destiny not magic not prayers not ancient parchments.Men

Not really following what you're saying. Being Jewish has nothing to do with G-d. It's a birth right, or something that you convert into. I think you're acknowledging that in your post, but I'm just not sure where you're going with this. Please clarify. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
24-07-2016, 05:40 PM
(24-07-2016 05:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 05:17 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  I loathe this term within the Jewish community it's almost an accusation it's like saying oh sure you love our culture language and our accomplishments and revere our struggle over the centuries to be free and safe. But because you don't inter prate our history mystically then you really aren't one of us you just a partial Jew. And i'm shocked at Jews who are unbelieving who embrace this title .

Not really following what you're saying. Being Jewish has nothing to do with G-d. It's a birth right, or something that you convert into. I think you're acknowledging that in your post, but I'm just not sure where you're going with this. Please clarify. Smile

My family is all Seventh Day Adventists, but we are still proud of our Jewish heritage. I have broken away from the SDA designation, but still proud of my Jewishness.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
24-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Please excuse my ignorance , but being Jewish...is that nationality or religion? Or kind of both Consider ?

If it's just nationality then you can be Jewish atheist or Jewish Christian or Muslim or whatever. Right? Is that possible?

If it's a religion, then you can not be both atheist and Jewish.

If it's both...and you are Jewish but an atheist ,then you are a...cultural Jew?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
24-07-2016, 05:44 PM
(24-07-2016 05:40 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 05:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Not really following what you're saying. Being Jewish has nothing to do with G-d. It's a birth right, or something that you convert into. I think you're acknowledging that in your post, but I'm just not sure where you're going with this. Please clarify. Smile

My family is all Seventh Day Adventists, but we are still proud of our Jewish heritage. I have broken away from the SDA designation, but still proud of my Jewishness.

I had no idea SDA's believe themselves to be Jewish. Is there an actual link to Jewish heritage, or is it something they adopted?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
24-07-2016, 05:47 PM
(24-07-2016 05:41 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Please excuse my ignorance , but being Jewish...is that nationality or religion? Or kind of both Consider ?

If it's just nationality then you can be Jewish atheist or Jewish Christian or Muslim or whatever. Right? Is that possible?

If it's a religion, then you can not be both atheist and Jewish.

If it's both...and you are Jewish but an atheist ,then you are a...cultural Jew?

It's a nationality and a religion. You can be Jewish without believing in G-d, just as you can be American without being patriotic. Yes, if you're an atheist and a Jew, you might identify yourself as a cultural Jew.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
24-07-2016, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2016 08:57 PM by DLJ.)
Quote:Not really following what you're saying. Being Jewish has nothing to do with G-d. It's a birth right, or something that you convert into. I think you're acknowledging that in your post, but I'm just not sure where you're going with this. Please clarify. Smile

My point is this i don't see why i should be given a separate (i believe condescending) title. That your only a real Jew if you accept our heritage in a religious way rather then as a historic identity.(that includes converts) I,m hope that makes things a little clearer Smile

24-07-2016, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2016 12:06 AM by OrdoSkeptica.)
Quote:It's a nationality and a religion. You can be Jewish without believing in G-d, just as you can be American without being patriotic. Yes, if you're an atheist and a Jew, you might identify yourself as a cultural Jew.

And don't see why they would you're not culturally Jewish your simply Jewish

Edited to add [quote]. Just tidying up. No need to thank me.

"We are here to serve"

ps *you're

[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
24-07-2016, 06:00 PM
(24-07-2016 05:53 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Not really following what you're saying. Being Jewish has nothing to do with G-d. It's a birth right, or something that you convert into. I think you're acknowledging that in your post, but I'm just not sure where you're going with this. Please clarify. Smile

My point is this i don't see why i should be given a separate (i believe condescending) title. That your only a real Jew if you accept our heritage in a religious way rather then as a historic identity.(that includes converts) I,m hope that makes things a little clearer Smile

You are 100% Jewish if you were born to a Jewish mother, or if you converted in an orthodox conversion. If you were born to a Jewish father, and a gentile mother, or you converted non-orthodox, then you're considered Jewish only in that denomination, but not necessarily in the state of Israel.

Its been my experience that people use the term "cultural Jew" to convey to others that they don't believe religiously but they still consider themselves to be a part of the Jewish community. If you don't care for the term, then don't use it and just call yourself a Jew. Most Jews today are agnostic and don't pay much mind to Torah Laws, so they probably don't really care what you believe anyway.

And if that doesn't work, tell them to fuck off. Smartass
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
24-07-2016, 06:04 PM
(24-07-2016 05:44 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 05:40 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  My family is all Seventh Day Adventists, but we are still proud of our Jewish heritage. I have broken away from the SDA designation, but still proud of my Jewishness.

I had no idea SDA's believe themselves to be Jewish. Is there an actual link to Jewish heritage, or is it something they adopted?

Sorry i didn't mean to be confusing. We have a Jewish heritage, but 100 years ago as an employee of Dr Kellogg, as in Kellogg's corn flakes, a great grand father became an SDA. Most of the family have followed that since. but no the SDA's claim no actual connection with Judaism, though they believe many old Testament things that the average Christian doesn't, such as kosher foods etc...
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post