I hate the word "respect" Here is why.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 06:37 AM
I hate the word "respect" Here is why.
If I read or hear the word "respect" one more fucking time I am going to go on a killing spree(not really but I hate that word)......Here is why.

It is an abused word, and way more often than not is simply a form of passive aggressive way of protecting one's ego rather than face a challenge to one's positions. It is a way for someone in power to say "know your place", or "I am too insecure to consider I might be wrong".

Now do not get me wrong. I am NOT advocating the right to be a dick in every situation 100% of ones waking life. I am saying the word is used way to much to set up taboos to avoid critical thinking.

I refuse to use that word. I use the word "value" instead. I want my positions to be valued because they are factual. If my position is not factual but I insist on keeping them anyway, I am precluding myself from discarding bad data in favor of facts. I am not going to value feeling good and fear of being wrong. To do so prevents me from growing intellectually.

It is nothing to go through life protecting one's ego for the sake of protecting one's ego. That is not a matter of human rights, nor does that mean humans have the right to be cruel to each other. It just is a challenge to everyone to not fear being wrong. If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 07:01 AM
RE: I hate the word "respect" Here is why.
V-A-L-U-E find out what it means to me...
Yep, it works Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-09-2014, 07:17 AM
(04-09-2014 07:01 AM)pablo Wrote:  V-A-L-U-E find out what it means to me...
Yep, it works Thumbsup

Meh, cant put that in the same song as Aretha's, but thanks.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
04-09-2014, 08:30 AM
I can respect that. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
04-09-2014, 08:33 AM
^ditto

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
04-09-2014, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 08:55 AM by Dom.)
In a practical sense respect means not intruding on other's boundaries.

People who don't know how to respect boundaries are either big pains in the ass or criminal.

Where exactly these boundaries are is the actual issue, and the answer will vary from person to person.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-09-2014, 08:53 AM
(04-09-2014 08:30 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I can respect that. Drinking Beverage

Smart ass Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
04-09-2014, 09:03 AM
(04-09-2014 08:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  In a practical sense respect means not intruding on other's boundaries.

People who don't know how to respect boundaries are either big pains in the ass or criminal.

Where exactly these boundaries are is the actual issue, and the answer will vary from person to person.

No, the word "respect" does not need to be used to value the wishes of others. Relationships are mutual, as to say they should be. You can ask someone not to do something, and if they continue after that, then it is on you to either stay or go. Both parties are entitled to their views and space, but neither is entitled to make demands of the other.

When you invoke "respect" you are making a demand of the other instead of controlling your own reactions and behaviors. If someone is doing something you don't like or harming you physically and emotionally, no amount of making demands is going to stop them. Ditch them, otherwise you make yourself a doormat.

Value yourself and others will value you.

04-09-2014, 09:11 AM
[Image: respect.jpg]

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH
[+] 3 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post