I have Asperger Syndrome.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2012, 09:47 AM
RE: I have Asperger Syndrome.
For ages I thought you said 'Asparagus Syndrome' and I was like, you're allergic to a vegetable? LOL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I have Asperger Syndrome.
(21-12-2012 08:15 AM)ANT Wrote:  Call me an asshole, but I don't really believe in Asperger's. Some people are just fucking weird and that's all there is to it. We just feel the need to slap a label on everything these days. Asperger's has even been removed from the DSM (American psychiatric handbook).

Asshole. Tongue

Hug

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I am not sure if you have been officially diagnosed but anyway:
I know a few people who have Aspergers, some here, some friends. I never considered them weird. Probably because I am considered "weird" in many ways, too. Probably just because I accept people for who they are and not for the diagnose they have on their forehead.
No, none of them are retards > at all. They are all VERY intelligent people.

I have been told that I have some autistic symptoms as well, still I do not consider myself even mildly autistic, or as others call it "high functioning".

Everyone has some kind of obsession for something: for me it's cooking and baking, for my hubby it's gaming, for you it's philosophy.
Everyone has some ticks: for me it's arranging all shelfes symetrically, for a friend of mine it's constant humming,...
Everyone has flaws in social behaviour: For me that's when someone is sad, for my hubby it's frustration, for other people it's smalltalk, etc

Just because someone has these things a little more doesn't make them THAT different. At least that's my opinion.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2012, 10:37 AM
(21-12-2012 08:46 AM)Logisch Wrote:  ... Ultimately the "for certain" diagnosis should come from a professional.
... Cut the bullshit, go get tested and don't ever use retard and aspie in the same sentence again.

Yep. That right there. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
21-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Asperger's syndrome DOES not make individuals afflicted with it retarded. In order to be diagnosed, one's cognitive abilities must be equal with or superior to that of an average person of their age.

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2012, 05:59 PM
In my unusually extensive experience with Apergers people it doesn't make someone a retard directly, but it often means they are extremely narcissistic, sometimes to the point that they refuse to learn because they believe they already know everything and if anything doesn't agree with their solid beliefs they will become violent and/or go mute. There is also the problem with using people like objects and not doing a very good job of hiding it, constantly alienating classmates and workmates.

This is my experience from going to a school with a high autistic population, working as a personal tutor to 3 aspergers teenagers at the YMCA over a year, working for a few months with a whole class of aspergers teenagers helping integrate them into a local work force, and having a sister with the condition.
I could also bring up my extensive studies of a certain internet celebrity, but I know the mention of his name causes rage amount autistics that think they are very much different than him.

This may seem like a little of a harsh observation, but pussyfooting around never got anyone anywhere.

There is though, to be fair, people in my life with asperges diagnoses who I didn't even know they were autistic until they told me, in some cases years after I first met them. So the way I see it it would depend on what 'branch' you've got to answer the question yourself.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
22-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Wow, just wow. Okay, every single one of us exhibits autistic behaviors, let me repeat for emphasis, EVERY ONE OF US HAS AUTISTIC BEHAVIORS.

What truly defines a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders is a general lack of understanding of social cues, both verbal and nonverbal, including ineffective language use.

People with ASD are NOT "retarded" per se. Some are quite intelligent, but it is difficult to assess intelligence without effective communication. In people with more sever cases, the lack of communication prevents learning of all kinds and some carry additional diagnoses of intelligence low enough to fit into categories that are commonly called "mentally retarded" though I disagree with that assessment.

I have worked for nearly two decades with kids of all kinds: gifted, at-risk, developmentally disabled, autistic, suffering from traumatic brain injury, etc. I have written individual service programs (ISPs) and individual education programs (IEPs). Each disorder has its own quirks and most people with a disorder will share these quirks in common.

Autism stands out in that every single behavior defined as "autistic" occurs naturally in ALL humans. The only real difference is the severity of these behaviors and how much they interfere in daily life.

All children use pedantic speech and echolalia to learn language, but people with autism can sometimes get kind of stuck there. All of us have sensory needs, and sometimes those sensory needs get in the way of our function (like having an itch that stops all thought.) Again, severity is the only difference.

The DSM-V has removed the "Asperger's Syndrome" in favor of including people all under ASD. Yes, they've shifted the line so that it is a little harder on the "top" end to get a diagnosis, but really, it's arbitrary. The line between an awkward, shy, and geeky kid, and an awkward, shy, and geeky kid with autism is really nonexistent.
[+] 1 user Likes ScienceGeek2587's post