I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2015, 04:11 PM
I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?
So ever since I was 12 years old, I've had a terrible fear of dentists. I don't mind doctors, but dentists really bring my anxiety up. When I was 12 I had a terrible experience with the dentists and ever since then I've had this huge phobia. I hadn't been in like 7 years, and surprisingly my teeth look nice, but I do have quite a bit of work to get done, mostly filling cavities and a few extractions.
So recently a few months back I decided to bite the bullet and go, mostly because 2 of my teeth were bothering me and beginning to form an abscess, so I was pretty much forced to go in. All of my dental fears came to life. I went in, the dentist pretty much shamed me and was like "you shouldn't have let it get this bad". He was referring to the 2 teeth he had to extract, and he was just pretty rude about it. Then when it came time to pulling the teeth he put some numbing solution there so he could give me a shot of novocaine. I don't have issues with needles, I've had tons of piercings but needles in my gums definitely raised my anxiety. The first shot, there was a pinch and it wasn't so bad. He did another one and it wasn't so bad. But I noticed as he started doing the work, I could still feel the pain. And this wasn't pressure, this was pain. I told him this and he gave me another shot. So as he's pulling this tooth I can still feel it, and now he's giving me more shots and he's becoming more rude and his assistant was TERRIBLE. She was extremely rude to me. Towards the end, I told him I need another shot, and he said what'd you say? And his assistant was like, "she said nothing, she's fine". I was so peeved and felt so disrespected. And then when he went to stitch me up, I felt the needle go through my gum and thats when the tears started rolling. Because that REALLY hurt. And then he had no sympathy, he just gave me another shot which was really painful. And there was just no compassion.
My fears were confirmed with them. But tomorrow I have an appointment with a new dentist who has 4.5 stars and there were some reviews talking about how he's good with anxiety and super caring. I have to get my wisdom teeth examined because the gum area around it is swollen and its bothering me. And I'm super nervous for tomorrow and in general because I really don't want to have to deal with a situation like that again.
I've been considering complaining about what happened to me, in my last dentist visit. I know my fears sound irrational, or maybe petty but the whole experience was so grueling and terrible, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
20-11-2015, 04:24 PM
RE: I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?
(20-11-2015 04:11 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  So ever since I was 12 years old, I've had a terrible fear of dentists. I don't mind doctors, but dentists really bring my anxiety up. When I was 12 I had a terrible experience with the dentists and ever since then I've had this huge phobia. I hadn't been in like 7 years, and surprisingly my teeth look nice, but I do have quite a bit of work to get done, mostly filling cavities and a few extractions.
So recently a few months back I decided to bite the bullet and go, mostly because 2 of my teeth were bothering me and beginning to form an abscess, so I was pretty much forced to go in. All of my dental fears came to life. I went in, the dentist pretty much shamed me and was like "you shouldn't have let it get this bad". He was referring to the 2 teeth he had to extract, and he was just pretty rude about it. Then when it came time to pulling the teeth he put some numbing solution there so he could give me a shot of novocaine. I don't have issues with needles, I've had tons of piercings but needles in my gums definitely raised my anxiety. The first shot, there was a pinch and it wasn't so bad. He did another one and it wasn't so bad. But I noticed as he started doing the work, I could still feel the pain. And this wasn't pressure, this was pain. I told him this and he gave me another shot. So as he's pulling this tooth I can still feel it, and now he's giving me more shots and he's becoming more rude and his assistant was TERRIBLE. She was extremely rude to me. Towards the end, I told him I need another shot, and he said what'd you say? And his assistant was like, "she said nothing, she's fine". I was so peeved and felt so disrespected. And then when he went to stitch me up, I felt the needle go through my gum and thats when the tears started rolling. Because that REALLY hurt. And then he had no sympathy, he just gave me another shot which was really painful. And there was just no compassion.
My fears were confirmed with them. But tomorrow I have an appointment with a new dentist who has 4.5 stars and there were some reviews talking about how he's good with anxiety and super caring. I have to get my wisdom teeth examined because the gum area around it is swollen and its bothering me. And I'm super nervous for tomorrow and in general because I really don't want to have to deal with a situation like that again.
I've been considering complaining about what happened to me, in my last dentist visit. I know my fears sound irrational, or maybe petty but the whole experience was so grueling and terrible, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
*Hug*
The victory will be in now giving in to the anxiety.
And I think it's a good idea to talk with him about what happened last time so he know what not to do.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
20-11-2015, 04:36 PM
I am definitely going to tell him about my last experience because I definitely do not need a repeat of what happened last time.
[+] 3 users Like xastrogasmx's post
20-11-2015, 04:38 PM
If I were you, and you never plan to return to him, I'd write a letter to the State Board of Dentistry, complaining about him. Lots of people put off dental care, for all kinds of reasons. That's no reason for a provider to be abusive. I would definitely tell your new dentist you have a fear of dentists, (which actually is a lot more common that you'd think). It's their JOB to deal with patients where they are at , when they come in, not to lecture people about things no one can change at that point. If they were kind and supportive, you'd be far more apt to come in regularly in the future. He's a moron. Hug

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-11-2015, 04:38 PM
(20-11-2015 04:24 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 04:11 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  So ever since I was 12 years old, I've had a terrible fear of dentists. I don't mind doctors, but dentists really bring my anxiety up. When I was 12 I had a terrible experience with the dentists and ever since then I've had this huge phobia. I hadn't been in like 7 years, and surprisingly my teeth look nice, but I do have quite a bit of work to get done, mostly filling cavities and a few extractions.
*Hug*
The victory will be in now giving in to the anxiety.
And I think it's a good idea to talk with him about what happened last time so he know what not to do.

I am definitely going to tell him about my last experience because I definitely do not need a repeat of what happened last time.
20-11-2015, 04:42 PM
(20-11-2015 04:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If I were you, and you never plan to return to him, I'd write a letter to the State Board of Dentistry, complaining about him. Lots of people put off dental care, for all kinds of reasons. That's no reason for a provider to be abusive. I would definitely tell your new dentist you have a fear of dentists, (which actually is a lot more common that you'd think). It's their JOB to deal with patients where they are at , when they come in, not to lecture people about things no one can change at that point. If they were kind and supportive, you'd be far more apt to come in regularly in the future. He's a moron. Hug

THANK YOU! That's what I thought too, you don't shame your patients over something they can't even change anymore. And the best part is, when I left the assistant is like, "I'm sorry that happened to you, but at least you know what to expect next time."
WELL, FUCKING GREAT. She was terrible to me. T E R R I B L E .
[+] 2 users Like xastrogasmx's post
20-11-2015, 05:04 PM
(20-11-2015 04:36 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I am definitely going to tell him about my last experience because I definitely do not need a repeat of what happened last time.

If he minimizes it or tries to explain it away, get up and walk out.

I found a great dentist by asking my neighbors who they went to. Y'know, word of mouth. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-11-2015, 05:08 PM
(20-11-2015 05:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 04:36 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I am definitely going to tell him about my last experience because I definitely do not need a repeat of what happened last time.

If he minimizes it or tries to explain it away, get up and walk out.

I found a great dentist by asking my neighbors who they went to. Y'know, word of mouth. Drinking Beverage

Yeah I'm truly hoping this guy is a good one, because its actually kind of a pain to have to look for new dentists. Especially when you have dental anxiety,
20-11-2015, 05:12 PM
(20-11-2015 04:11 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  The first shot, there was a pinch and it wasn't so bad. He did another one and it wasn't so bad. But I noticed as he started doing the work, I could still feel the pain. And this wasn't pressure, this was pain. I told him this and he gave me another shot. So as he's pulling this tooth I can still feel it, and now he's giving me more shots...

I have the same thing every time. I don't know if I have unusually sensitive gums or a high resistance to novocaine or what but one shot is never enough as I can still feel everything. They always have to stop and repeat the numbing and novocaine at least once.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
20-11-2015, 05:23 PM
If your regular doc knows about this, you could ask they give you a dose of Ativan to take when you get there. Lots of high anxiety people get "pre-medicated" for procedures ... it's done all the time in the hospital ... but be sure and tell the dentist you took one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post