I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2015, 05:30 PM
RE: I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?
(20-11-2015 05:12 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 04:11 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  The first shot, there was a pinch and it wasn't so bad. He did another one and it wasn't so bad. But I noticed as he started doing the work, I could still feel the pain. And this wasn't pressure, this was pain. I told him this and he gave me another shot. So as he's pulling this tooth I can still feel it, and now he's giving me more shots...

I have the same thing every time. I don't know if I have unusually sensitive gums or a high resistance to novocaine or what but one shot is never enough as I can still feel everything. They always have to stop and repeat the numbing and novocaine at least once.

I, too, have some dental anxiety because of bad childhood experiences. It turns out that for some people the local anesthetic takes longer to have an effect.
My childhood dentist didn't know this. He just started right in. Ouch.

My current dentist listens. She injects it and goes off for 5-10 minutes to do other things.

Also, there is a variety of anesthetics used by dentists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I have a great dentist and I enjoy going to him. My old dentist retired a year ago and my wife and I had to find a new one. My wife does volunteer work at our local zoo and she was telling me about a dentist whose office is about a mile from our house. My wife met him when he was doing a root canal on a tiger. The tiger woke up during the root canal [the vet who was managing the anesthesia dropped the ball] and the dentist got that tiger calmed down and finished the job while the tiger was awake. My wife says that he has done lots of dental work on everything from apes to elephants and tomorrow he is going to fix a tooth on a four year old male lion. That's my dentist. I just had two crowns and a bridge done by him. It was completely painless and it would have been painless if it had been done by 99.9% of the dentists in this country.

xastrogasmx, you have to look long and hard to find a dentist as bad as yours was. I understand your fear after that experience but I cannot imagine you will go through anything like that again. If you are really freaking out, all dentists have nitrous oxide. I tried it 50 years ago and it's better than the best marijuana you've ever had.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
20-11-2015, 05:59 PM
(20-11-2015 05:08 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 05:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  If he minimizes it or tries to explain it away, get up and walk out.

I found a great dentist by asking my neighbors who they went to. Y'know, word of mouth. Drinking Beverage

Yeah I'm truly hoping this guy is a good one, because its actually kind of a pain to have to look for new dentists. Especially when you have dental anxiety,

I don't know where you live but most cities have dentists that work with people who have a fear of dentists. They do twilight sleep or give you something that will relax you even before you come in for the appointment. There are a whole lot of people that fear dentists. It's pretty common. I'm not too crazy about them myself and it's funny because my grandfather was a dentist.

True story. My grandfather was almost 70 when I was born and had been retired from dentistry for almost 20 years. He still had his old, and I'm talkin' super old dentist drill set up in his garage and would work on family members doing simple things like filling cavities and teeth cleaning, but because he'd been retired for so long he couldn't get novacaine. (or didn't bother to get any, I'm not sure which). Anyway, he filled several cavities I had as a kid with no novacaine whatsoever. We're talking pain, honey. PAIN with a capital P! That goddam old drill was so slow, not the high speed drills they have today so it was a slow, long painful process.

But hey, I count myself lucky. My three older brothers had their wisdom teeth removed without novacaine. Nothing! Grandpa told them to take a few swigs of whiskey, which they did but it was more than just a few swigs, I can tell you that.Laughat They got completely drunk. Jesus christ, the whole thing was unbelievable. Dodgy

Other than his dentistry my grandpa was a very nice sweet, gentle atheist. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-11-2015, 06:05 PM
I never understood the fear of the dentist. They are easy, it's teeth.

Doctors are worse, they are the ones that tell you you're gonna die lol
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
20-11-2015, 06:06 PM
(20-11-2015 04:11 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  So ever since I was 12 years old, I've had a terrible fear of dentists. I don't mind doctors, but dentists really bring my anxiety up. When I was 12 I had a terrible experience with the dentists and ever since then I've had this huge phobia. I hadn't been in like 7 years, and surprisingly my teeth look nice, but I do have quite a bit of work to get done, mostly filling cavities and a few extractions.
So recently a few months back I decided to bite the bullet and go, mostly because 2 of my teeth were bothering me and beginning to form an abscess, so I was pretty much forced to go in. All of my dental fears came to life. I went in, the dentist pretty much shamed me and was like "you shouldn't have let it get this bad". He was referring to the 2 teeth he had to extract, and he was just pretty rude about it. Then when it came time to pulling the teeth he put some numbing solution there so he could give me a shot of novocaine. I don't have issues with needles, I've had tons of piercings but needles in my gums definitely raised my anxiety. The first shot, there was a pinch and it wasn't so bad. He did another one and it wasn't so bad. But I noticed as he started doing the work, I could still feel the pain. And this wasn't pressure, this was pain. I told him this and he gave me another shot. So as he's pulling this tooth I can still feel it, and now he's giving me more shots and he's becoming more rude and his assistant was TERRIBLE. She was extremely rude to me. Towards the end, I told him I need another shot, and he said what'd you say? And his assistant was like, "she said nothing, she's fine". I was so peeved and felt so disrespected. And then when he went to stitch me up, I felt the needle go through my gum and thats when the tears started rolling. Because that REALLY hurt. And then he had no sympathy, he just gave me another shot which was really painful. And there was just no compassion.
My fears were confirmed with them. But tomorrow I have an appointment with a new dentist who has 4.5 stars and there were some reviews talking about how he's good with anxiety and super caring. I have to get my wisdom teeth examined because the gum area around it is swollen and its bothering me. And I'm super nervous for tomorrow and in general because I really don't want to have to deal with a situation like that again.
I've been considering complaining about what happened to me, in my last dentist visit. I know my fears sound irrational, or maybe petty but the whole experience was so grueling and terrible, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
NO your fears are not irrational. I have had problems with dentists and they are all basically the same. I believe they go into dentistry because they have a bully personality. A sign on the door of one dentist office said "Gantle Dental" and the first thing they did is to rap on my teeth with a metal hammer. I said that that is not gentleness, and she said we have to start with this.
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
20-11-2015, 06:26 PM
(20-11-2015 06:05 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I never understood the fear of the dentist. They are easy, it's teeth.

Doctors are worse, they are the ones that tell you you're gonna die lol

You've probably had great dental experiences then, a lot of dentists seem to have this certain type of attitude, that most doctors don't.
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
20-11-2015, 06:27 PM
(20-11-2015 06:06 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 04:11 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  So ever since I was 12 years old, I've had a terrible fear of dentists. I don't mind doctors, but dentists really bring my anxiety up. When I was 12 I had a terrible experience with the dentists and ever since then I've had this huge phobia. I hadn't been in like 7 years, and surprisingly my teeth look nice, but I do have quite a bit of work to get done, mostly filling cavities and a few extractions.
So recently a few months back I decided to bite the bullet and go, mostly because 2 of my teeth were bothering me and beginning to form an abscess, so I was pretty much forced to go in. All of my dental fears came to life. I went in, the dentist pretty much shamed me and was like "you shouldn't have let it get this bad". He was referring to the 2 teeth he had to extract, and he was just pretty rude about it. Then when it came time to pulling the teeth he put some numbing solution there so he could give me a shot of novocaine. I don't have issues with needles, I've had tons of piercings but needles in my gums definitely raised my anxiety. The first shot, there was a pinch and it wasn't so bad. He did another one and it wasn't so bad. But I noticed as he started doing the work, I could still feel the pain. And this wasn't pressure, this was pain. I told him this and he gave me another shot. So as he's pulling this tooth I can still feel it, and now he's giving me more shots and he's becoming more rude and his assistant was TERRIBLE. She was extremely rude to me. Towards the end, I told him I need another shot, and he said what'd you say? And his assistant was like, "she said nothing, she's fine". I was so peeved and felt so disrespected. And then when he went to stitch me up, I felt the needle go through my gum and thats when the tears started rolling. Because that REALLY hurt. And then he had no sympathy, he just gave me another shot which was really painful. And there was just no compassion.
My fears were confirmed with them. But tomorrow I have an appointment with a new dentist who has 4.5 stars and there were some reviews talking about how he's good with anxiety and super caring. I have to get my wisdom teeth examined because the gum area around it is swollen and its bothering me. And I'm super nervous for tomorrow and in general because I really don't want to have to deal with a situation like that again.
I've been considering complaining about what happened to me, in my last dentist visit. I know my fears sound irrational, or maybe petty but the whole experience was so grueling and terrible, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
NO your fears are not irrational. I have had problems with dentists and they are all basically the same. I believe they go into dentistry because they have a bully personality. A sign on the door of one dentist office said "Gantle Dental" and the first thing they did is to rap on my teeth with a metal hammer. I said that that is not gentleness, and she said we have to start with this.

My best friend said the same thing about them having bully personalities! I'm really hoping they aren't all the same, and this dentist I go to tomorrow will be the opposite of my last visit. Fingers crossed.
20-11-2015, 06:29 PM
(20-11-2015 05:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 05:08 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Yeah I'm truly hoping this guy is a good one, because its actually kind of a pain to have to look for new dentists. Especially when you have dental anxiety,

I don't know where you live but most cities have dentists that work with people who have a fear of dentists. They do twilight sleep or give you something that will relax you even before you come in for the appointment. There are a whole lot of people that fear dentists. It's pretty common. I'm not too crazy about them myself and it's funny because my grandfather was a dentist.

True story. My grandfather was almost 70 when I was born and had been retired from dentistry for almost 20 years. He still had his old, and I'm talkin' super old dentist drill set up in his garage and would work on family members doing simple things like filling cavities and teeth cleaning, but because he'd been retired for so long he couldn't get novacaine. (or didn't bother to get any, I'm not sure which). Anyway, he filled several cavities I had as a kid with no novacaine whatsoever. We're talking pain, honey. PAIN with a capital P! That goddam old drill was so slow, not the high speed drills they have today so it was a slow, long painful process.

But hey, I count myself lucky. My three older brothers had their wisdom teeth removed without novacaine. Nothing! Grandpa told them to take a few swigs of whiskey, which they did but it was more than just a few swigs, I can tell you that.Laughat They got completely drunk. Jesus christ, the whole thing was unbelievable. Dodgy

Other than his dentistry my grandpa was a very nice sweet, gentle atheist. Laugh out load

Oh my gosh that sounds like a nightmare! I've heard stories of people getting cavities filled without novocaine, because they think the shot hurts worse than the drill. Your brothers, and you are brave for that.Gasp
20-11-2015, 06:30 PM
(20-11-2015 05:58 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I have a great dentist and I enjoy going to him. My old dentist retired a year ago and my wife and I had to find a new one. My wife does volunteer work at our local zoo and she was telling me about a dentist whose office is about a mile from our house. My wife met him when he was doing a root canal on a tiger. The tiger woke up during the root canal [the vet who was managing the anesthesia dropped the ball] and the dentist got that tiger calmed down and finished the job while the tiger was awake. My wife says that he has done lots of dental work on everything from apes to elephants and tomorrow he is going to fix a tooth on a four year old male lion. That's my dentist. I just had two crowns and a bridge done by him. It was completely painless and it would have been painless if it had been done by 99.9% of the dentists in this country.

xastrogasmx, you have to look long and hard to find a dentist as bad as yours was. I understand your fear after that experience but I cannot imagine you will go through anything like that again. If you are really freaking out, all dentists have nitrous oxide. I tried it 50 years ago and it's better than the best marijuana you've ever had.

Nitrous oxide is laughing gas right? Yeah, I think most wisdom teeth removals require that. My boyfriend told me that stuff is AMAZING lol
20-11-2015, 06:32 PM
(20-11-2015 05:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 05:12 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I have the same thing every time. I don't know if I have unusually sensitive gums or a high resistance to novocaine or what but one shot is never enough as I can still feel everything. They always have to stop and repeat the numbing and novocaine at least once.

I, too, have some dental anxiety because of bad childhood experiences. It turns out that for some people the local anesthetic takes longer to have an effect.
My childhood dentist didn't know this. He just started right in. Ouch.

My current dentist listens. She injects it and goes off for 5-10 minutes to do other things.

Also, there is a variety of anesthetics used by dentists.

Yeah when I went to that dentist he numbed me with the pink numbing solution, and then he gave me that shot and then went in soon after. Ugh, absolutely terrible.