I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2015, 06:33 PM
RE: I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?
(20-11-2015 05:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If your regular doc knows about this, you could ask they give you a dose of Ativan to take when you get there. Lots of high anxiety people get "pre-medicated" for procedures ... it's done all the time in the hospital ... but be sure and tell the dentist you took one.

Interesting, I've never heard of that before, does it actually work?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like xastrogasmx's post
20-11-2015, 06:34 PM
(20-11-2015 05:12 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 04:11 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  The first shot, there was a pinch and it wasn't so bad. He did another one and it wasn't so bad. But I noticed as he started doing the work, I could still feel the pain. And this wasn't pressure, this was pain. I told him this and he gave me another shot. So as he's pulling this tooth I can still feel it, and now he's giving me more shots...

I have the same thing every time. I don't know if I have unusually sensitive gums or a high resistance to novocaine or what but one shot is never enough as I can still feel everything. They always have to stop and repeat the numbing and novocaine at least once.

I'm really just hoping that I had a terrible dentist last time and that's why the shots didn't work.No
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
20-11-2015, 06:42 PM
(20-11-2015 06:34 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  I'm really just hoping that I had a terrible dentist last time and that's why the shots didn't work.No

I have found a few that are good but the majority I've been to are just as rude and arrogant as your description. Keep trying different ones until you find a decent one.

Unfortunately, even with the decent ones it is always painful no matter what they've given me. I really hate going which unfortunately makes it worse since I put it off as much as possible.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
20-11-2015, 06:58 PM
I've had pretty good experiences, my dentist is actually one of my friend's dad, and he is super nice. That laughing gas for my wisdom teeth was awesome. Very weird experience though.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
20-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Your sub-conscious is only looking out for your safety and well being, that's why it is kicking in your fight or flight mechanism based upon past experiences/memories/emotions. Whilst it may seem irrational or get in the way your only trying to protect yourself, its beyond your analytical/conscious control so its not anything to be embarrassed about.

Studies have found that adopting "power poses" can reduce cortisol (the stress hormone) in your body and increase testosterone. Have a read about them here or you can watch the video that its based on here and give them a whirl before you go in.

Also you may also like to try this technique that I teach clients...

1: Think about going to the dentists, imagine going in and sitting in the waiting room, associate as best you can (really imagine/picture/focus/feel, that you are there) rate your anxiety from 1-10 with 1 being the least and 10 being the most.
2: Become aware of your posture, how are you holding your body.. your head, shoulders, hands.(we will refer to this as the negative posture)
3: Shake yourself loose, just relax.
4: Think about how your body was positioned previously when you thought about the dentists, adopt that negative posture again (without thinking about the dentists)
5: Shake yourself loose again, just relax.
6: Think of a time when you felt confident and powerful, notice how your body positioning may change, notice where your shoulders are, your head, your chin. If you cant think of a particular time just imagine how you would look (we will refer to this as the positive posture) or you can adopt one of the "power poses" from above.
7: Shake yourself loose again, just relax.
8: Think of something you enjoy doing, like a hobby, a pastime or something where you just feel relaxed and at ease....in control. Again, just become aware of how your body is positioned, where your head is, shoulders, hands etc (we will refer to this as the Neutral posture)
9: Shake yourself loose again, just relax.
10: Have a think and remind yourself about the three postures you have just gone through.
11: Adopt the negative posture and hold for a few seconds, then adopt the positive posture and hold for a few seconds, then finally adopt the neutral posture and hold for a few seconds.
12: Repeat these in the same order (Negative posture, positive posture, neutral posture) about 5 or six times more, but change between each postures quicker every time you cycle through them.
13: Shake yourself down and relax again.
14: Now put yourself in the situation again associate/imagine/feel the moment (visiting the dentist) Rate your anxiety level from 1-10 with 1 being the least and 10 being the most.

Other than that eveyrbody elses advice has been spot on. Having a fear of the dentist is quite common and im sure your new dentist will have seen many people just like yourself. Do not be embarrassed to let them know that you have had bad experiences previously.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
20-11-2015, 07:27 PM
(20-11-2015 06:26 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 06:05 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I never understood the fear of the dentist. They are easy, it's teeth.

Doctors are worse, they are the ones that tell you you're gonna die lol

You've probably had great dental experiences then, a lot of dentists seem to have this certain type of attitude, that most doctors don't.

Actually my dentist overdosed me on nitrous and pulled all 4 of my wisdom teeth without knocking me out. Pretty rough.

I'm just scared of different things I guess.

(For the record my dentist was arrested later for working while high. Meth I believe)
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
20-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I have also had (still do) a terrible fear of dental work. The dentist I go to since moving here is very, very liberal with the nitrous. I wear my headphones and if I have anything on hand that will make me woozy, I take that too. It works well for both of us. He says it's easier on him when I can relax.

He is also good about giving pain meds that actually work in drastic situations. He is the best dentist I have ever had. He does good work too and is very personable. When I have had to call him after hours I have always received a call back in a matter of minutes.

Thumbsup

I still hate going...the anticipation and the memories of crappy dentists past make me a nervous wreck. The only time my BP reaches normal is in the dentist office, otherwise it's really low.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-11-2015, 08:59 PM
(20-11-2015 06:33 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 05:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If your regular doc knows about this, you could ask they give you a dose of Ativan to take when you get there. Lots of high anxiety people get "pre-medicated" for procedures ... it's done all the time in the hospital ... but be sure and tell the dentist you took one.

Interesting, I've never heard of that before, does it actually work?

Oh yeah. It works. Tongue
You will definitely know you took something.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-11-2015, 11:38 PM
(20-11-2015 08:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 06:33 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Interesting, I've never heard of that before, does it actually work?

Oh yeah. It works. Tongue
You will definitely know you took something.

Unless you're in a room with Bill Cosby.

Hey-oh!

Too soon? Weeping

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
21-11-2015, 12:14 AM
I understand. Your fears are not unreasonable. I had some shockers in the past also. I had a lumbar puncture where the guy tried and failed 13 times. No joke. I told him he was useless and to stop. I ended up with 13 holes in my back.

Some people are good at their jobs and others are not. If there is a rating system in your area give it a look.

I have found discussing your exact situation and fears with doctors helps. Tell the next guy about your previous experience. If the dr shws little interest simply walk out. If however the dentist is interested in your history and story and is prepared to take what you say on board, that is a reason to stay.

Good luck tomorrow and let us know the result.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.