I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?
My braces, painless. My quad wisdom extraction, calm, painless, no swelling, no NOS, only local anaesthetic. I've been lucky, kept great oral hygiene, and I've had only good dentist's... Even though I hadn't been in over 4 years, and maybe only 3 times in the last decade, I just had a fantastic check up.

On the flip; my cousin had a few dentist's as a kid. A bunch of cavities. At 12 he punched his dentist in the face and knocked out two teeth. His parents couldn't force him to go after that... And the dentist obviously didn't want him back. I'm not sure he's even gone since then... He's a really good looking guy, but his mouth is a train wreck.

You need a good dentist, and just ONE good, calm experience. Maybe try the anti-anxiety med route for THIS one. If it goes well enough, hopefully you won't be anxious for any following checkups.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2015, 09:59 AM
(20-11-2015 06:29 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 05:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't know where you live but most cities have dentists that work with people who have a fear of dentists. They do twilight sleep or give you something that will relax you even before you come in for the appointment. There are a whole lot of people that fear dentists. It's pretty common. I'm not too crazy about them myself and it's funny because my grandfather was a dentist.

True story. My grandfather was almost 70 when I was born and had been retired from dentistry for almost 20 years. He still had his old, and I'm talkin' super old dentist drill set up in his garage and would work on family members doing simple things like filling cavities and teeth cleaning, but because he'd been retired for so long he couldn't get novacaine. (or didn't bother to get any, I'm not sure which). Anyway, he filled several cavities I had as a kid with no novacaine whatsoever. We're talking pain, honey. PAIN with a capital P! That goddam old drill was so slow, not the high speed drills they have today so it was a slow, long painful process.

But hey, I count myself lucky. My three older brothers had their wisdom teeth removed without novacaine. Nothing! Grandpa told them to take a few swigs of whiskey, which they did but it was more than just a few swigs, I can tell you that.Laughat They got completely drunk. Jesus christ, the whole thing was unbelievable. Dodgy

Other than his dentistry my grandpa was a very nice sweet, gentle atheist. Laugh out load

Oh my gosh that sounds like a nightmare! I've heard stories of people getting cavities filled without novocaine, because they think the shot hurts worse than the drill. Your brothers, and you are brave for that.Gasp

I have to add that my brothers only let my grandfather take out one wisdom tooth without novacaine. After that experience even drinking a bottle of whiskey wasn't worth the pain. For myself he filled two cavities without novacaine (and no whiskey since I was about 9 or 10) with his old dental drill. After that when we went to visit, if he mentioned taking a look at my teeth I'd disappear out the back door and climb up one of his many walnut trees and stay there for the better part of the day.....until the threat passed.

Other than that he was a super nice guy!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-11-2015, 10:49 AM
dancer, I loved the stories about your grandfather. I would have climbed a walnut tree with you. Big Grin
22-11-2015, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2015 12:46 PM by Erxomai.)
How did it go, Xastro?

I hope you fared better than this fella...

Trigger Warning:
[Image: badteeth.jpeg?token=%2FnHeVKehIEKms4EdueBSRU5SiXQ%3D]

ETA: Evidently some members *cough*kimmies*cough* really couldn't handle resisting clicking on the spoiler button. Really...don't click if you might trigger a gag response! Evil_monster

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Don't ever post that again! Sadcryface2

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
22-11-2015, 12:43 PM
(22-11-2015 12:37 PM)kim Wrote:  Don't ever post that again! Sadcryface2

What part of "Trigger Warning" did you not get? LaughatEvil_monster

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-11-2015, 02:24 PM
I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?
When I was a kid I was afraid of needles so I refused the Novocain. It was very painful getting my teeth drilled with no pain killer but I took it without flinching.

Now I just get the shot.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
23-11-2015, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 01:24 AM by Loom.)
When I was about 7, I knocked out both of my front teeth. After a couple months of no sign of them growing back (and after obnoxiously singing 'All I want fo' Cwistmas is my two fwont teef!' at every waking moment), my parents decided to take me to the dentist to have it checked out.

Can't remember exactly why my teeth weren't growing in, but I do know it needed a lil surgery.

So they sat me in a chair and gave me strawberry gas. I was out like a light...for a few minutes. I woke up in the middle of the procedure as they were slicing into my gums. I was screaming bloody murder. More strawberry gas. Still didn't help much. I was still aware of the pain, and by golly it hurt!

At the end, they stuffed my mouth with cotton balls and sent me off teary-eyed with my parents. Got a milkshake, and eventually my two front teeth, so it was worth it in the end.

That was my worst dentist experience. And I've had to go, a lot, sadly. Went through a bridge, braces, rubber bands, spacers, and even headgear...*shudders*...thankfully during the year I was homeschooled but still...

Most of my dentists have been absolutely lovely, some, not so much. Google search your area and look at the reviews. I've avoided many a painful experience that way.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
23-11-2015, 09:55 AM
(23-11-2015 01:21 AM)Loom Wrote:  When I was about 7, I knocked out both of my front teeth. After a couple months of no sign of them growing back (and after obnoxiously singing 'All I want fo' Cwistmas is my two fwont teef!' at every waking moment), my parents decided to take me to the dentist to have it checked out.

Can't remember exactly why my teeth weren't growing in, but I do know it needed a lil surgery.

So they sat me in a chair and gave me strawberry gas. I was out like a light...for a few minutes. I woke up in the middle of the procedure as they were slicing into my gums. I was screaming bloody murder. More strawberry gas. Still didn't help much. I was still aware of the pain, and by golly it hurt!

At the end, they stuffed my mouth with cotton balls and sent me off teary-eyed with my parents. Got a milkshake, and eventually my two front teeth, so it was worth it in the end.

That was my worst dentist experience. And I've had to go, a lot, sadly. Went through a bridge, braces, rubber bands, spacers, and even headgear...*shudders*...thankfully during the year I was homeschooled but still...

Most of my dentists have been absolutely lovely, some, not so much. Google search your area and look at the reviews. I've avoided many a painful experience that way.

Ohmy Gasp Shocking

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-11-2015, 10:22 AM
That person (the spoiler) has gingevitis, (infected gums) ... from whatever, ...... it may not have started with the teeth.
Rude.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post